Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Baby clothes...I don't understand! Sleepsuit vs bodysuit?

(12 Posts)
dotladotla Sun 25-Oct-15 08:08:41

My DD1 was born on the 17th of October & we have been lucky enough to receive lots of presents for her. But I'm confused about when you are meant to put babies in what!
So just now we've been dressing her in a sleepsuit every day & night with a vest/bodysuit thing underneath if we are going out. The paediatrician in the hospital said she was too hot with both on just for being indoors.
The sleepsuits are great because they have buttons for easy changing and built in scratch mitts (why are all suits not made with these?!). But we have been given several gifts of bodysuits in lovely designs and I don't understand when I'm meant to use them!
They are short sleeves and short legged so she's too cold to just have that on but if I put a sleepsuit on top then it defeats the purpose of a nice pattern because it won't be seen...am I missing something?!
She got a few pairs of trouser/legging things so once her cord drops off I could put the bodysuits on with them but then she'll need a cardi or something on her arms.
I feel like I must be missing something here...can anyone help?! confused

BreeVDKamp Sun 25-Oct-15 08:13:08

Cardigan! Then her arms will be toasty but you can show off the pretty vest (bodysuit).

I don't know where you are in the world but DS at the moment is generally in a vest (bodysuit), then a t-shirt and jogging bottoms, or babygro.

Congratulations!

GrizzlebertGrumbledink Sun 25-Oct-15 08:20:27

Trousers/leggings and a cardi if you want to show off a body suit, but I usually don't bother - sleep suits are much more comfortable and practical.

Could she maybe have felt hot to the paediatrician because she'd been cuddled close to you in the waiting room? Was the hospital particularly warm (the heating tends to have two settings: off or full blast)

Harverina Sun 25-Oct-15 08:26:27

I never saw the point in fancy vests (body suits?) either but yes the only way to show them off is to wear them instead of a top with a pair of trousers and a cardi

dotladotla Sun 25-Oct-15 09:43:57

Great-thank you everyone!
It seems strange to go to all that faff with a newborn when I can just put a sleepsuit on her but I'll do my best since they were presents after allgrin
Now time to go shopping for a cardi!
Yes-I think the hospital was hot-so am I supposed to put a vest on under the sleepsuit every day at this time of year? I live up in the Scottish Highlands but it's not that cold just now.

littleducks Sun 25-Oct-15 09:57:18

Mine wore a body suit as a vest with a sleep suit on top as the norm with a cardigan on top if we went out.

icclemunchy Sun 25-Oct-15 10:04:44

I tend to have warm babies so mine just wear a babygrow (all in one/body suit) in the summer and a vest underneath in the winter

MadGrumblyGnome Sun 25-Oct-15 10:06:26

We just had DS in fairly plain babygros for the first 3 months-ish, usually with a vest underneath depending on temperature. Then vest, t-shirt and leggings when he got a bit older, sometimes with a jumper too if it was chilly.

Tbh, put him in an extra layer to what you're wearing, and if you're worried, you can feel his chest for warmth.

Iloveonionchutney Sun 25-Oct-15 10:10:39

My dd was born on the 14th and so far has only been in sleepsuits, apart from once when we 'dressed' her in a matching vest, sleepsuit, hat and coat we were given.she is six a warm baby (same as our oldest dd) that we don't yet need another layer. If when it gets colder she needs them we'll use vests buy one layer and her blanket is all we've needed.

Artandco Sun 25-Oct-15 10:10:53

Mine always wore a short sleeve vest under the sleepsuit. In summer just vest, in winter add cardigan on top and booties over footed sleepsuit for extra warmth. So yes now I would have them in at least short vest under and sleepsuit. Would add cardigan also now most the time

Iloveonionchutney Sun 25-Oct-15 10:11:33

A very warm baby that's should say, don't know where six came from!

dotladotla Sun 25-Oct-15 23:50:25

Ahh okay. We tried a bodysuit today under the sleepsuit but she was too hot so I think I'll need to wait a while before getting use out of them.
Thanks for everyone's help though, it all makes sense now! smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: