Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Any midwives...help please!

(9 Posts)
BeeJay24 Sat 16-May-15 11:44:37

Hi, I was hoping if there are any midwives out there you could help me please? Is there a basic/blanket procedure for assisting women the first time they mobilise to the toilet or shower after giving birth to first baby. I gave birth to a healthy boy almost a year ago. Birth was a bit tough as he was in a funny position so epidural went in, episiotomy and forceps delivery. I was also catheterised. I had above normal blood loss. Less than 24hours after having baby I thought as a new mum I felt normal...tired, a bit weak but ok. Unaware of my blood loss and being anaemic I was left to go to the shower on the maternity ward, pushing baby in cot...I blacked out, fell, dislocated and fractured my ankle. Long story short, the same day, I had the ankle fixed with plate and screws, blood transfusionetc but I couldn't carry my newborn baby for about 8 weeks as I couldn't walk. I still fear the injury and I feel it every day. It's made me hugely depressed at times. Should someone have insisted I be accompanied to the shower?? Any help very much appreciated. Thank you.

Crazyqueenofthecatladies Sat 16-May-15 21:23:08

A healthcare assistant sat in the shower with me, def one of my most glamorous moments, but I'd had a major pph and this was the day after I was out of HDU. She didn't much look like she'd have caught me... More let others know I'd fallen.

TheDetective Sat 16-May-15 21:33:39

There no set guideline or policy, if that's what you are asking?

Was it your first time out of bed? Usually we advise not to get up for the first time after the birth without someone being present.

I wouldn't routinely accompany someone for the duration of the shower.

mayhew Sat 16-May-15 21:38:43

I passed out in the postnatal ward bathroom. Fortunately I was luckier than the OP and did not hurt myself. I am a midwife...

Where I work there is no specific guideline.

Justusemyname Sat 16-May-15 21:39:18

With dc3 I was helped in the shower iirc. With one of my others I made her hold my hand when I had my first poo. That could have been after a section though.

BeeJay24 Sun 17-May-15 21:47:54

Thanks for the opinions, very much appreciated.

Yes TheDetective, first time mobilising.

Thanks again everyone x

ginmakesitallok Sun 17-May-15 21:50:16

It's likely to depend on the individual hospital. You should ask them for their policy/risk assessments.

Crazyqueenofthecatladies Mon 18-May-15 15:51:11

Should add I had an emcs incase that makes a difference. The 1500ml pph might...

ScorpioMermaid Mon 17-Aug-15 01:32:40

mayhew the same happened to me when I had my first. I'm not a m/w though and that was the last time i had a shower on a maternity ward. I came home 5 weeks ago after 2 days in hospital after having a 2300ml pph (that I had to go into theatre with) without having a shower. Imagine how gross I was! DH showered me when we got home. I couldn't face anymore than using the toilet knowing I'd be alone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now