Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

November 2014 - The one where they won't stay still.

(1000 Posts)
MrsAukerman Thu 14-May-15 15:52:49

New thread, new moves, new poo!

ladydolly Thu 14-May-15 17:39:51

Also the one with the half birthdays!

catg83 Thu 14-May-15 17:43:56

I cannot believe DS is going to be six months this month! Thanks for starting this.

We have been signed off by the physio. Whoop whoop! She told us we could come back if we wanted to be but she was happy with his progress and his flat head was rounding out.

Would you believe me if I told you he can float in the pool on his own? I have been taking him swimming since he was about 6 weeks old. Today for the first time I let go of him while he was floating on his back. He went under but buoyed back up. Then he realised he was on his own, panicked and went under again. Such a proud Mama!

catg83 Thu 14-May-15 17:46:27

And here is DS in all his glory with half his dad too.

Strawberryfield12 Thu 14-May-15 19:25:38

Wow Cat that's amazing and I applaud your courage. This week I pulled my everything up and got DD under. I almost had a heart attack. I know babies at this age stop breathing under water, but it was very hard to actually push her under with my own arms.

omama Thu 14-May-15 19:35:38

Awww greenstone I hope you are all well on the way to recovery now. Sickness bugs are hideous especially when you get it too.

Loving all the cute baby pics. Well hopefully here is my pic off dd taken today. Yes she is in pink - its what she wears most tbh blush though we do also wear a few other colours. Maybe if she was my first it'd be different but I've done blues/greys/red/green for 5 years with ds & its quite nice to do pinks/purples/floral/girly. though dont get me wrong we're not overly into frills or big headbands & the like.

Ladydolly 2 spoons is definitely the way forward! We have started solids this week & dd will not open her mouth for the spoon if I offer it to her, but wants to grab it off me & do it herself! So I am pre-loading the spoon & leaving the rest up to her & she's wolfing it down. Only done porridge so far, going to try carrot tomorrow.

Oh & dd had her first taste of bread tonight. Is it wrong that it wasn't nutritious wholemeal but instead was naan bread from our local pub curry night blush blush blush!!! She was trying to grab food off my plate so thought it'd keep her quiet & she seemed to really enjoy it!!

Thisisimpossible Thu 14-May-15 20:27:47

Loving all the gorgeous baby pics!

happypotamus Thu 14-May-15 20:58:58

greenstone hope you are all feeling better soon.

2 spoons is an important part of weaning. I put the food on DD's spoon and she mostly manages to get it her mouth herself.

There is a family gathering at my parents' this weekend for my dad's 60th. DH isn't coming so he can visit his own dad in hospital and paint the landing. There will be at least 8 adults, 2 4yr olds, a 1 yr old and my baby. Both DDs and I will be sleeping in same room, with me on a top bunk apparently. At home DD wakes 3-4 times after I've gone to bed and spends most of the night in our bed. I am exhausted just thinking about how little sleep the 3 of us will get as DD2 won't be able to sleep in a bed with me and I will have t o climb down from a bunk bed every time she cries and DD1 will be woken up each time.

Annarose2014 Thu 14-May-15 21:04:20

Wow cat look at all that hair! My poor little lad with his baldy fuzzy head save for his Tintin quiff.......

Is anyone else finding things have actually ramped up a gear? I seem to be finding it harder, not easier.

Now that DS has proper discovered rolling, I find it very hard to just put him down on the floor to go do something. He can barrell roll a couple of feet and there are nasty sofa corners and hard table legs everywhere. Not to mention the bloody marble hearth underneath a hot as hell kitchen stove - the place is clearly a deathtrap!

And even when you put him down in a safe area with cushions all around, he promptly rolls on his front, finds he's stuck in that position, and starts whinging. So then Mum has to go over and give him a toy/reposition him. But then he pushes the toy away or rolls away from it and the whole jolly excercise starts again!

I'm knackered, tbh. Wish I could still just plonk him down. He's hard work these days!

Arkkorox Thu 14-May-15 21:34:25

Quick visit to mark my place. Will catch up properly later!

MrsAukerman Thu 14-May-15 21:40:02

Annarose2014 you need a baby jail! Travel cot in the front room with toys in. I don't set it up every day but it's very useful for trying to get dinner ready etc without worrying that he'll be sucking our shoes.

MrsAukerman Thu 14-May-15 21:42:52

Baby jail in action

ladydolly Thu 14-May-15 21:52:07

I definitely need a baby jail, she can roll to where she wants but she's getting pretty quick at pushing herself along with just back legs crawling. I have a big rug but found her on the wood floor under the folded up highchair after I went for a wee break. Thank god for the jumperoo or the washing up would never get done.

TwigletFiend Thu 14-May-15 22:29:09

Yes, I need a baby jail too! Maybe biased because I've had an utterly shit day but definitely finding it harder going now. Dad can commando crawl and roll and this evening pulled herself up the side of her toy box (only a little basket one!) to nose inside. She can't go in the swing or bouncer any more unless I have an eagle eye on her as she can pull herself up to sitting and then tries to throw herself out. Kitchen floor is tile, so either have to leave her in living room with a toy and dash backwards and forwards or plonk her in high chair, which she loves to bang with her hands all the fucking time a lot.

In danger of becoming a whinger myself here so will stop there!

Annarose2014 Thu 14-May-15 22:29:48

We actually have a travel cot in the kitchen but we use it for naps so it has that high-level bassinet attachment. Not to mention a changing table bit on top of that.

But the time for baby jail has definately come.....hmm....what to do.....seems an awful faff to remove the bassinet & changing table thingy every time I want to do the washing up and then reattach it all later.

Will have to think about that one......

omama Fri 15-May-15 22:10:34

Wow can't believe your little ones are all moving already! DD wiggles around in a circle while laying down but hasnt got any further than that yet. Still desperately trying to roll but not quite there, very wobbly on the sitting front but enjoys tummy time & draws her legs up under her bum. Maybe she will be different to ds & actually crawl. He dragged himself around commando style til he was 1!

haventgotaclue1 Sat 16-May-15 06:26:43

omama don't worry, we've got about the same amount of movement as you have smile. Dd very good at wriggling and twisting, but sitting isn't happening yet and she can't roll either. Tummy time lasts about 2 minutes before she face plants!

We're trying out a new sleep routine here which (if successful) should mean the end of me having to walk miles each day to get her to nap and instead she should be in her cot bed. Last night we had exactly an hour of full on crying (with dh or I going in 63 times to reassure her) before she fell asleep. Then (shock horror) she actually slept through the night! !!! Am pretty nervous about naps today as she's NEVER napped in the cot bed in all her 5.5month life. ... Still, apparently consistency is the name of the game so we'll stick with it although it's bloody hard when she's crying confused

Strawberryfield12 Sat 16-May-15 09:11:02

DD is not sitting unsupported either. I think she is almost there, but not yet. She rolls only to the sides, I suspect she doesn't go on front because she doesn't like tummy time too much. She tries crawl with legs, but then the arms are doing the opposite hence she stays pretty much in place. DM thinks she will be like me - never crawled but started to walk myself at 10 months. It could be the most convenient although till then I would be worried sick about her development.

Annarose2014 Sat 16-May-15 11:42:41

Well DS only learnt to roll fully over about a week ago. Before that it was a few weeks of getting to his side and flopping back again. And the first day he learnt to roll over was a bit fraught as he couldn't get his arm out from underneath him and didn't know what to do. But then the next day he managed to yank his arm out and oh my God he hasn't stopped rolling since!

No sitting up unsupported though and not a hope of any crawling action.

This morning we microwaved some apples slices and hey presto! Apple puree. Then an hour later a massive poo. So I'm definately going to try to add that to breakfast as opposed to bananas which I suspect bung them up.

I also read that fruits beginning with P are good for babys bowels - prunes, plums, pears, pineapple and peaches.

eastmidswarwicknightnanny Sat 16-May-15 14:47:42

My ds is 6mths on Wed and he only wriggles round in circles and attempts to roll, he sits unaided for a time and loves to chew his feet.

Weaning is going well on pureed meals now loves a roast dinner and doing some blw which he eats well

eastmidswarwicknightnanny Sat 16-May-15 14:51:24

We have had some constipation here too Anna and suspect bananas and weetabix. I have just made chicken stock and have a soup on go for us and made baby chicken, pear and veg stew so should help with poo and no weetabix for couple days.

Annarose2014 Sat 16-May-15 15:31:41

I just tried BabyJail and its a brilliant success! I'm sitting at the kitchen table MNing and having a cup of tea and DS has been in the travel cot for 15 mins playing. And not hitting his head on anything.

Think I can get away with the high level for another while.

MrsAukerman Sat 16-May-15 16:14:33

This, jumperoo and highchair are known in our house as "hands-free parenting" love 'em all!

ladydolly Sat 16-May-15 16:48:56

'hands-free' grin I love it. We have an electric nanny (the tv).

So, we're going to purchase a baby jail for the living room and allotment. Now should we get a seperate travel cot so she knows its a bed not time to play?

Strawberryfield12 Sat 16-May-15 17:53:16

ladydolly I would think it is enough with one, because once it's bed time you will probably clear all/most toys out, maybe lay something underneath for more comfort, put her in sleep bag and put Ewan on. So it will be different anyway. At least when we were away for BH weekends, there was no problem with playing and sleeping in the same cot.

This thread is not accepting new messages.