Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Stopping breastfeeding

(8 Posts)
BlindKitty Sat 24-Jan-15 07:08:39

Hi guys

My baby is now 8 months and I'd like to consider stopping bf'ing her. The problem I'm having is that she flatly refuses a bottle (multiple bottles, teats, milks, rooms, people tried!) and will only take water from a beaker. We tried to go cold turkey on her and only offered a bottle and beaker and she literally went without milk for 17 hours until I gave in! Any suggestions? I'd quite like my periods to come back soon so we can ttc for dc #2

SewingAndCakes Sat 24-Jan-15 07:11:54

Have you tried giving her milk in a beaker?

Iggly Sat 24-Jan-15 07:18:11

I cut down night feeds which brought back my periods. So didn't stop entirely.

Gunpowder Sat 24-Jan-15 07:36:19

There's a 'TTC while breastfeeding' thread in the conception topic with some useful links if that's the only reason you want to stop. I changed DD's feeding habits quite quickly to TTC, and we caught the first egg.

BlindKitty Tue 27-Jan-15 21:41:34

sewing she flatly refuses milk in a beaker yet will happily take water!

iggly she's inconsolable if I refuse boob at night! How did you stop?

gunpowder thanks, I'll have a look. Not hopeful we'll be as lucky as you as we needed fertility treatment for this baby after ttc unsuccessfully for 2.5years but I wanted to at least try for a natural bfp!

Gunpowder Tue 27-Jan-15 22:04:51

Oh it's so hard. They are amazingly strong willed aren't they? Fingers and toes all crossed for you.

DD would never take a bottle or beaker either. She only became interested in milk not from breasts once she was one and could have a babychino with forbidden hot chocolate powder on top.

Good luck Kitty, hope it's quicker for you this time round.

debbriana Tue 27-Jan-15 22:13:11

Am breast feeding day and night. My periods came back at 12 months.

Iggly Tue 27-Jan-15 22:20:08

I stopped gradually and kept one or two feeds. The gaps between feeds were enough to trigger a return.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now