Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

October 2014 // thread 3 // Maybe we'll get some sleep soon.

(996 Posts)
MundayCakes85 Fri 14-Nov-14 09:48:15

Last thread is full so here's a shiny new one grin

Me23 Fri 14-Nov-14 10:04:55

Thanks munday my phone was beginning to struggle posting on that big thread.

Nice to "see" you goats sounds like you've been getting load of exercise. Though actually with doing school and nursery runs am and pm I'm probably doing about 4 miles a day just never thought about it as I'm not doing it for fun!

The weather is awful here today got soaked through on school run.

My left boob is so full today feels like it's gong to burst.

tattyblue Fri 14-Nov-14 10:10:21

goats thanks for that link, it's excellent. I've mostly been putting her in the sling with a vest and babygrow on and then taking a blanket with me so I can easily stuff it down her back if she gets cold, it's just the rain that threw me. Glad to know my intuitions on what was sensible weren't completely off!

I actually really like walking in the rain. I like running in the rain even more- can't wait till that's an option again.

The baby is mithering this morning. Not crying exactly, just complaining a lot.

STIGZ Fri 14-Nov-14 10:48:54

Thanks munday grin

Welcome back goats hope motherhood has been treating you well ?

fedup i just opened ours in the last few days, she's currently zonked in the moses basket in my room while im running around tidying up what i can before the tiny tornado returns from nursery, got a hair appointment today, so tempted to cancel but my barnet needs done badly ! Thinking my appetite is returning... I really want steak & salad with fried mushrooms and onions ... Not wanted to eat things like this in so long, follwed by a glass of wine ofcoursegrin

ohthegoats Fri 14-Nov-14 10:49:39

I bought a new sports bra yesterday, ready for running the day after my 6 wk check. 38FF - somehow my back measurement has gone up 4 inches! Bra is size of some heavy duty mechanical equipment too... ugly. Going to start right back at 'couch to 5k', so if I need to take it really easy for 3 weeks or more, I can. We're skiing in January though, so I'm worried about being unfit.

ohthegoats Fri 14-Nov-14 10:52:23

stigz - yes thanks! I've got my shit together now, reduced my expectations, and have started enjoying myself. Still don't like breast feeding, but will stick with it to 3 months at least. Pip feels like she has a personality now that she's smiling etc, it's nice.

I'll do a read later and catch up on everyone else.

ohthegoats Fri 14-Nov-14 11:51:57

I didn't get round to buying a toddlepod for downstairs, but it sounds like they've been successful for some of you - maybe that can be a weekend purchase.

The sleepyhead is still being a great thing here. I now put pip on her side to sleep - jammed in with teddy bears - and she's doing 4 -5 hour stretches at night. She's just not comfy on her back, Only having to do one night feed is bloody amazing, long may it last (yeah right, be happy if I get a week of catching up sleep a bit). Her daytime sleeping is only any good if she can be in the sleepyhead when I'm up stairs, hence toddlepod thoughts. She sleeps the whole time in the sling or carrier though, so gets that chunk of sleep when I'm walking.

Still screaming and feeding alternately from 7 - 9 or 10 in the evening, but we're sort of getting there with soothing options, so hopefully she'll hit the 6 weeks then start reducing the yelling. Weirdly we both seem to find the screaming quite funny - particularly the things you do to try and stop it - singing, shouting back, jiggling around, dancing etc.

Interesting that some of you had some oh issues - my favourite was boyfriend having her for an 'hour' to let me sleep last week, managing 10 minutes of listening to yellingm then bringing her in to me saying "I can't do that, I need a break from her", putting her on the bed and walking out. I think my face said it all... I actually heard him go to the drinks cupboard, get himself a whisky then shut himself in the living room. Could just hear him chatting to a friend on the phone over the screaming... he came home the next evening with stuff to make my favourite cocktail, then the vegan cooked me a bloody fillet with stilton and cream sauce, a fancy choc pudding etc. Since then, considering I never said a thing about him walking out, he's been ace with her. He was ace before tbh, but the blip won't happen again I hope.

FlipFantasia Fri 14-Nov-14 12:15:21

New thread! Marking my place smile

LebkuchenMonster Fri 14-Nov-14 12:20:35

FrauEnglischLehrerin here with a seasonal namechange - I am mainlining German Xmas cookies atm smile.

Glad to hear that things are settling down for you goats. i'm a passionate breastfeeder, but I'm still not at the point yet this time round where I can comfortably do it in public, although it's got a lot better in the past couple of days. I think Pippa is very similar in age to Ben - 5 weeks on Sunday?

Nights are currently horrendous here. Maybe I need a Sleepyhead - will wait to see if Me23 also reports miraculous improvements before ordering one, though.

A quick question for yellow: do you think excluding dairy could have an effect on reducing excessive spitting up in a "happy spitter". Ds is gaining weight well, but fusses a bit post-feed and doesn't like lying flat.

fedupofrainydays Fri 14-Nov-14 12:36:53

Wooo new thread, thanks munday

I really rate the sleepyhead. R can be put in it awake and falls asleep - won't do that in / on anything else. And settles well unless he's got wind and needs to burp. We still wake every 2 to 3 hours but the whole settlingn process is a million times quicker.

binkybunny Fri 14-Nov-14 12:41:19

marking my place on here.

accomplishment today, bottle feeding with one hand while having a phone conversation with my best friend with the other. smile.

Was hoping to get out for a walk today but it's raining biblical proportions, will be throwing sling and dh waterproof plus brolly on too soon if it doesn't stop, hate being in the house all day!,

pebble82 Fri 14-Nov-14 12:50:25

Impressed by you sling wearers. I have a fabric one a friend gave me (like a very long wide scarf) but no idea how to tie it and I'm scared I'll do it wrong and she'll fall out! I did watch a youtube video but still don't get it.

As for OH. He got in from the pub(!!!) after work last night at 8pm and announced he had an online gaming session booked at 9pm-midnight! The baby decided to scream from 11-2am and he complained he had work at 7am so needed to sleep. Tonight I've decided to go for an hour long (at least!) bath and read my book. His family are visiting this afternoon, I hope he's not expecting me to look after them too. Grr!!

SeptemberBabies Fri 14-Nov-14 13:10:57

May I join in? Third thread, I realise I'm late blush.

I'm not actually an October Mum, Felicity was born 26th September (7 weeks today), so I am 'nearly' October. She is DC4

I'm on the September thread but not too many breastfeeders on there. I noticed a "passionate about breastfeeding" poster and so have decided to lurk and post a bit on here.

Breastfeeding going exceptionally well here, much better than with my 3 previous children. I wonder if that is down to the fact that (a) I have more time since other three are at school (b) I am a lot more chilled out than with previous children (c) Fliss is my last child so I intend to indulge in everything, including cuddling on the sofa feeding all day. Nothing better in the world!

BadgerInBury Fri 14-Nov-14 13:32:48

Afternoon all!

My DP has mainly been fantastic but Baby Badger just wouldn't settl for him the last couple of nights. Not surprising given how much time she's with me vs with him, but quite disheartening for the poor chap. He started giving up and passing her over with every grizzle saying she needed feeding. So today I've said he's got her to himself - I'm feedi her as and when but then she goes straight back to him for cuddles and playtime. I don't miss her at all (coughweepinginthebathcough).

Me23 Fri 14-Nov-14 13:39:31

OH has v from 8:30-11ish so I can get a bit of sleep. If he didn't do this I don't know how I'd cope. It does mean we aren't getting any child free time as I'm going to bed same time as my eldest. I do miss him but it won't be this way forever.

V is very unsettled today apart from falling asleep in school run she has been awake and crying ever since. It's very stressful, I'm hungry need to make lunch.

pebble82 Fri 14-Nov-14 13:58:14

Me23 sometimes I feel that if DD isn't feeding or sleeping she's awake and crying. I think we managed 10 mins in her bouncer chair crying free but the it starts again. If I hold her over my shoulder it might stop briefly too but not for long. My life is consumed by thinking of ways to stop her screaming. Is that normal? Shouldn't she be happier when awake?

sazzlehopes Fri 14-Nov-14 15:03:47

Thanks for the new thread munday and hellloooooo goats you've been away an age. Nice to have you back. Missed the honesty in your posts. Glad you've decided on a bf plan for you and pippa.

Ned is 6 weeks tomorrow and we are doing mainly 3 hours at night. Sometimes 2... He's now 11lb and is feeding like a beast in the evenings. He still sleeps on me only really at night and in the sling in the day. I need to be firmer about trying to settle him in his crib at night though as much as I like the closest I'm getting a crook neck! The sleepyhead sounds like a wonder tool but it's a lot of money!!!

I think Ned is also happier on his side or front so hoping when the angel care monitor arrives I can do that with peace of mind.

3 weeks dairy tomorrow and I think I see a slight improvement - still pukes a bit after a feed but a bit less and he definitely isn't as uncomfortable. So going to continue especially since I've discovered hugh F-w new dairy and wheat free book and made some amazing brownies!!!

Pregnantagain7 Fri 14-Nov-14 16:12:50

Hey all

Welcome back goats nice to see you back

Hi september pull up a chair I'm also on dc4 who will be my last am trying to enjoy every second of these early days as I know they go so quickly

binky I am the queen of the one handed bottle feed once you have mastered it you can conquer the world grin

None of mine except r have ever liked sleeping on their back I used to roll two small blankets and put one in front and one behind them it used to help them settle too kind of a blankety cuddle!

I actually had a really good night last night everyone slept well no one up before 7 and r only woke once!! I'm sure things will be different tonight as dp is out on the baby's head wetting hmm deep joy at the thought of what kind of state he's going to be in when he gets in.

magichandles Fri 14-Nov-14 16:19:35

Marking place as well!

This morning was busy - got absolutely soaked doing the school run and then had to take DS with me to get E. registered which was a pain - he would normally have been at preschool but had a late start for Children in Need.

It did make me realise how far I've come since having DD1 though - with her I made DH take a morning off work so I could register her without having to get the bus with her in tow - today I managed both of them in the pissing rain on the bus and even fed her on the bus on the way back without a second thought!

The registrar did try and register her as male though, good job I was actually paying attention when I read through the draft copy of the birth certificate!

Me23 Fri 14-Nov-14 16:34:19

pebble ye dd is the same, either feeding sleeping or crying ad quite often a combination of all 3! As she gets older I'm sure (wishing) she'll be more content. People with sleepy content babies often don't realise how hard it is to see your baby so (seemingly) unhappy and how exhausting it is trying to calm and console them. I had another day without lunch as v was too unsettled to put down.

I think I may be on the verge of mastitis, my breast was very engorged earlier so much so v refused it managed to eventually get her on so is a lot softer but very tender and hard in places :-( it's not infective yet as I don't have flu like symptoms so I'm hoping to manage it conservatively for the time being.

I still haven't received an email re sleepyhead delivery I have emails them just now as I'm getting impatient have you heard anythig bumpbang ?

LebkuchenMonster Fri 14-Nov-14 16:37:57

sazzle can/do you sleep with your ds on you? I settle B on my chest after a feed, but try at least to lay him down next to me, which he seems to prefer over being in the bedside cot. I think he would sleep better on me, but I don't really dare sleep myself like that.

sazzlehopes Fri 14-Nov-14 17:01:24

monster (Frau is that you?!!) yes I am a pro now - I often don't mean too just drift off after feeding. It's getting harder though now N is getting bigger. I might try pregnants tip of the rolled up blankets and I'm going to take up a hot water bottle too tonight.
Otherwise he's on my chest and I'm propped up in several pillows...

porcito Fri 14-Nov-14 17:47:04

We're having a lazy day today after an 18 hour clusterfeed yesterday!

We have the opposite problem with slings here - she gets so hot as it's already 25 degrees out, but 'helpful' passers by tell me she's too cold. Yesterday she was sweating and at least 6 people told me off for not putting socks on her in the sling. I can see myself being deported for punching the locals. We registered her birth and the policeman guarding the town hall told us she needed a blanket. angry Wouldn't argue with him but I was seething inside!

MundayCakes85 Fri 14-Nov-14 18:07:37

Monster I've also had Etta sleeping on my chest- she's had a cold this week and would wake herself up choking in any other position. We enjoy our cuddles in bed in the morning after DH has gone to work.
Went shopping in the sunshine with my Mum today- there are so many adorable outfits, especially Christmas bits- had to hold back from spending £££!!
Feel much better after managing 7 hours sleep last night in bits didn't get out of bed until 12 grin

LebkuchenMonster Fri 14-Nov-14 18:28:41

Yep, sazzle, Frau here with a name change. I don't want to go back to the English teaching, although time will tell, but it didn't seem particularly appropriate atm.

porcito it's not quite as warm here, but I got told off for only having one pair of socks on ds the other day - I'd put them on under the babygro so they wouldn't fall off. Since the person telling me off was a thirty-something nearly blind male neighbour (not a busybody Oma), I now put very thick-looking visible socks over the babygro. I always wonder if it's only British babies who are supposedly at danger of overheating, since from what I've heard, people in most other countries are obsessed with keeping babies extremely warm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now