Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Will strawberry blonde/'ginger' hair stay?- upset!

(62 Posts)
Bluberry Tue 12-Mar-13 02:43:15

My beautiful baby girl was born with red/'ginger' or strawberry blonde hair. In some lights it looks really fair and in others light brown but today it started looking quite red.
My husband and I are quite dark but I understand the red gene must be in our genes somewhere. My step daughter has bright red hair so it wasnt a complete shock but I didn't realise my family had the gene either so wasn't expecting it really. My step daughter was born with fiery red hair but my daughters is lighter.

I just feel so worried and upset that she may be open to bullies. People are already commenting on it and using the word 'ginger' which I think is hurtful.

Does anyone else have a red head and how does it make you feel?
Did anyone's baby's hair colour change from red to blonde or brown?

I don't want to cause offence.

CarpeDiemCras Wed 13-Mar-13 22:20:42

Sad to hear that about your DSD Bluberry. I hope as she gets older that improves & she comes to feel better about it.

I do know some people who were teased horribly about their hair, but your DSD's experiece sounds like it must've been particularly bad if she's still feeling that way at 16.

I suspect most red heads do put up with a bit of stick & maybe even a bit more than a non-red headed child, but it won't necessarily be a repeat of your DSD's experience.

babyhater123 Fri 09-Oct-15 13:51:20

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

babyhater123 Fri 09-Oct-15 13:52:59

babyhater123 Fri 09-Oct-15 13:55:01

babyhater123 Fri 09-Oct-15 13:55:31

Kraggle Fri 09-Oct-15 13:57:57

My 2 year old has golden ginger hair. It is absolutely beautiful and the only comments we get are how lovely a colour it is.

Branleuse Fri 09-Oct-15 14:01:02

Ginger hair is gorgeous.

Lovelovelove89 Fri 08-Jul-16 12:05:39

Is this an actual serious question.... My God.... Just be happy that your baby is healthy

DeeGinge Sat 10-Dec-16 14:25:21

For bullies most of the time it's the red headed males that get the short end of the stick.

GinIsIn Sat 10-Dec-16 14:30:39

I have ginger hair. Being called ginger isn't an insult, it's a descriptor. To be honest your child is far more likely to pick up on anxieties about her hair colour from you if you carry on like this than being bullied by others. It's a shame your DD had a bad time when she was little, but that was a decade ago - attitudes have changed! Don't make a fuss about it, be confident that red hair is lovely, and let your DD take her lead from you.

Branleuse Sat 10-Dec-16 14:35:27

this thread is so old, and ginger hair is still gorgeous

hoolabaybee Sun 15-Jan-17 10:17:11

Here's my little strawberry blonde

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now