Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.
November 2012 - losing sleep and losing weight(1000 Posts)
Sophia call NHS Direct / 24 they can give an age and weight adjusted dose recommendation for calpol for babies younger than 2 months. We had to call them when we needed to dose J (before we knew it was reflux!) when he was only 6 weeks and 8 or 9 lb so am sure there is a safe dose for yours.
Why do you have to wait two months for paracetamol? Calpol is paracetamol isn't it? Over here we give it from 3kg up at any age in case of fever over 38°. I double checked that with the doctors when LO was in hospital at 4 weeks.
Right, LO coughing her poor little guts up but no breathing issues, so am reasting easy til tomorrow now. She's not drunk massive amounts but she often eats more in the evenings.
DD1 is making progress. They have decided to stop the physio, and right now are seeing how she goes with no oxygen, just for an hour or so. Tey are also hoping to get her walking around a little this evening.
They'll put her back on oxygen this evening of course but the fact they are trying is positive, so I am still feeling optimistic she may be home for Friday. Which of course is a disappointment compared to Wednesday, but it's still this week.
I'm feeling more positive. She has had excellent care - can't fault the hospital - and I am just looking forward to her coming home now.
In fact I was sent home from hospital after giving birth with a whole bag of pills and potions for me and LO and paracetamol suppositories were in there, along with vit D drops and various creams and pain killers for me.
Happy new year to you all. Not had a chance to catch up on the thread yet but hope everyone had a good new years eve, DP and I fell asleep on the sofa and woke up at 10 past 12! Rock n roll!
DD1 has come down with chicken pox today! Only 2 spots so far but I fear the worst is yet to come, now I just have to try and keep her away from LO in the hope she won't catch it too
Marking my place and asking a quick question...
M and I have been ill with a bad cold since Friday. Just found out that DHs auntie has whooping cough. We spent most of last sudsy with them and some of Boxing Day. I don't know what the incubation period is. Should I do anything or just watch how M is?
Fatima when will your LO be having the jabs? I think whooping cough is in the batch? Did you have the jab during your pregnancy?
Apparently it starts as a kind of cold normally. I woudl guess you can't do aything until LO shows symptoms of a cold. I would start doing the saline nasal drops though so you can reduce risk of a cold turning into anything nasty.
With DD1 being ill I was told to regularly clear LO's nose even before she started showing any symptoms.
Lnk to NHS page about it: www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Whooping-cough/Pages/Causes.aspx
Just re-read, and see M already has a cold. I'd see the doctor tomorrow. The sooner it is caught the easier it will be to treat. Fingers crossed though you'll both be fine.
Bugger, I was hoping you'd say I was worrying about nothing. She is very snotty and quite raspy today. We both started with it on Friday but I haven't got a cough.
She's 5 weeks 4days so she's not due her injections for another 2.5-3 weeks. I did have the injection at 35weeks though
Ah well if you had the jab she should be OK. That's what it was given for
Would be worth taking her in and being checked out though. The Dr will listen to her chest. Colds can turn nasty on newborns (and toddlers grrr) so it is always worth keeping on top of it. In Luxembourg and France some doctors automatically admit any babies under two months with colds. Overkill IMO but always worth checking.
Calpol is safe obviously, but I think they like you to get a Dr to oversee use before 3mths because a) potential liver damage & b) it could mask more serious issues causing a fever.
DS was prescribed
Darn it. Damn phone having buttons too close on webpage....
Paracetomol at 12do, with the dose calculated for his weight. He was 8lb 3
2oz iirc & had a 0.6ml dose. Hth Sophia.
Going back to read thread again.
Marking spot, had a crap NYE and day due to not feeling well, constipated and stomachache.
Slept a lot, hopefully it will ease soon
DD1 has been off oxygen for several hours now and has walked around a little. Sats are good. Fingers crossed.
HAPPY NEW YEAR - to all you gorgeous mummies and darling bubbas!!!
We had a lovely day yesterday going for a Thai lunch then a walk along Sarfend sea front and down the pier, then home to warm up. Dh works as a medic in a nightclub so he was at work for 9 so me and kids were snuggled up watching downton abbey, eating thorntons chops and watching the fireworks and paper lanterns!!!
Today we've taken the dog for a walk and found a couple of geocaches and now Dottie's watching the wizard of oz for the first time while we wait for the pork to roast!
Wishing all the poorly babies and mummies better xx
MissLaugh best time of day is morning (I express one side while J is having his first feed of the day on the other side using a rugby ball hold). Worst time of day is tea time. The advantage of tandem feeding and expressing is that the letdown reflex occurs in both breasts simultaneously so you should get more milk (it also saves time). To letdown you may need your baby present although apparently a photo also works. I have a recording of J crying on my phone to aid letdown. I also find imagining the sensation of feeding/letdown can be enough to trigger letdown!
I would aim for 4-5 fl. oz. initially and see whether this is too much or too little. It may take two sessions to get this much or it may not.
If you miss a feed and give a bottle in the afternoon/evening you will probably be fine. If it's in the night then you may find your breasts get full and you'll need to express. If you miss two feeds then definitely express as your supply could be affected.
My routine is to express 3-6 fl. oz. every morning. If it's a small amount I top it up from the next expressing session so all my bottles are 5-6 fl. oz. I leave them in the fridge until the next day then freeze them so that I always have a full bottle in the fridge for if I'm going out or need to feed when I have a visitor.
I'm using Avent bottles with storage lids to freeze milk since I don't anticipate keeping much in the freezer since we only have a tiny freezer. If you want to store lots then buy milk freezer bags BUT these only store up to 4-5 fl. oz. so you'll probably need to put 2-3 fl. oz. in each and use two per bottle.
Hello all, happy new year everyone.
Here is hoping that tonight will be miles better than last night. Met a mother at on my walk, she has the same age baby as me. She is also a having the same problem. It's very comforting to know I'm not the only one.
Horsey- I hope your horse is ok, and not too frightened of dogs. Some people are idiots.
PR- I'm glad things are on the way up.
I'm very interested in the 5s.
I hope all the sick babies get well soon.
I googled the 5 S's
MissL I agree with all stunt has says about expressing but to add;
1) I have found a photo of A feeding on my phone v useful for pumping
2) Lansinoh milk bags are good, as are Boots. Just check they're suitable for freezing.
3) freeze milk in small amounts & laying flat, as it defrosts quicker.
4) a good guide to feed volume is 150-200ml per kg of weight per day. If LO has 10 feeds a day, and weighs 5kg, that would be roughly 100ml a feed, so approx 3.5oz.
5) you should, in theory, keep pumping for a minute or 2 after the last drop of milk is out. I assume this increases the amount you pump/maintains supply. However, I only pump for as long as I can be bothered!!
glenda sounds like a lovely day.
PR tentatively saying things are looking good.
I am hoping the lurgy has finally left through house!!!
My LO keeps trying to put his fist in his mouth, is this a normal behavour?
Should I stop it?
That's normal Evil.
DD1 back on oxygen for the night.
Those of you who's babies have had jabs are lots of sleeping and reduced appetite normal. He had them yesterday at 3 and ran a fever yesterday. He slept a lot and ate about half what he usually does.
Today he's not got the fever, is more alert but is sleeping more and again not eating much. He also appears to have another cold so has been sick a bit.
He's obviously feeling sorry for himself. Should I give him some calpol or leave him be? If he's still the same tomorrow I'll call the dr but they said he'd be grizzly. Hes not, just sleepy.
Stunt and Chunky thank you so much for the advice. I don't know quite why I'm so nervous about expressing as I'd love to be able to give DP one feed a day to do. Our HV suggested that he should only ever be the one who feeds her with a bottle, so that she associates it with him and still bf with me which I guess makes sense. Will let you know how it goes next week!
Evil our LO also tries to shove her whole fist in her mouth. She pulls a really cute face when she's trying!
This thread is not accepting new messages.
Please login first.