self settling for 6wo

(3 Posts)
shmuf Thu 16-Aug-12 20:11:29

Is it reasonable to expect 6wo to be able to self settle?only way we can get dd off to sleep is either feeding her to sleep or walking her around in sling.she won't sleep if left alone in cot/pram,even if she's extremely tired.she's incredibly curious and won't close her eyes!any tips how we can get her to self settle?especially at nap times during the day..tried shush-pat thing,rocking,singing..run out of new ideas,one time we even tried letting her cry but even that didn't work and it upset me too much to try again!

OP’s posts: |
Spammertime Thu 16-Aug-12 20:19:44

Totally unreasonable I'm afraid! You'll get some who would at that age, but the vast majority wouldn't.

I really wouldn't stress about it for quite a while yet... and I think the earliest they say you should let them cry it out etc is 6 months.

You could start to try putting her down when she's really, really sleepy and work backwards from that. But at the moment she's just so tiny, let her do whatever it takes to get her to sleep.

Flosie1989 Thu 16-Aug-12 20:41:39

My DD would self settle at that age at bed time only - not nap time. Nap time was a whole other issue which im still struggling with and she's 3 months old.

It's weird because for naps she'll only sleep on my due to rocking etc or in the pram but at bedtime she can self settle.

She too is very nosey and alert and into everything. So really fights her sleep! To be honest I've kinda come to terms with the fact that she needs my help for naps (I'm sure a lot of people would disagree) as long as she goes down well in the evening smile

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in