Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

June 2008: new year, new diets, new resolutions, but when push comes to shove creme eggs are still the solution!

(757 Posts)
KnittingRocks Thu 06-Jan-11 10:42:13

Sorry, couldn't cope with Christmas anymore! blush

going Thu 06-Jan-11 10:44:23

Saw a creme eggs advert on tv last night so we are now in the correct season!!!!

KnittingRocks Thu 06-Jan-11 10:51:20

Yes, I saw that going!

Only January to get through and it's a short hop til Spring grin.

KeepCalmAndCarryOnMNing Thu 06-Jan-11 13:02:12

Creme eggs already in the shops!

systemsaddict Thu 06-Jan-11 13:32:28

Hello! <waves> Still on diet; fortunately I can include creme eggs once a day!

I saw SNOWDROPS yesterday! In my head it is now officially spring. And in the next few weeks we have my birthday, Valentine's Day, and Mother's Day to look forward to - all occasions where I can at least hope someone else will do all (or most of) the organising / present-giving - just need to get the Christmas things down now! (in my defense, thought today was 12th night ...)

DewinDoeth Thu 06-Jan-11 13:48:32

<Considers flouncing because of the rhyming thread title but GLARES instead at Biscuits and Knitting>

Well I just ate a creme egg so I win! grin

Systems when is your birthday? Mine is next week. smile

Random question now - did anybody here have a crib rather than a moses basket? There's a secondhand one for sale here, £30. Wondering if it's worth it?

systemsaddict Thu 06-Jan-11 14:08:00

Mine is 29th Jan, so you beat me!

Can't advise on crib, I'm afraid, beyond the fact that my babies never slept anywhere I wanted them to....

neenz Thu 06-Jan-11 14:20:36

Spider, Daniel was the same when he was newborn, sleeping all day and then going to bed late at night. He still stays up with us in evenings and goes to bed about 10pm. Are you co-sleeping? It was the only way I could get any sleep at first. He was always happy to latch on and feed. Even if he didn't go to sleep, I could sleep at least.

Rolf, I forgot to say before how pleased I was to hear you had a good Christmas with your DD1 smile.

Esther ate a piece of jigsaw yesterday sad. I told her off and she had a complete meltdown.

Knitting, sorry you are are feeling crap - is it anything in particular?

Amber, I am so excited for your twins. I can understand your feelings cos it is going to be a massive change to everything but you will get through it and you will be a fab mum to all three of your babies smile. Good luck and God bless for tomorrow x

Rolf Thu 06-Jan-11 14:41:27

DD1 had a spell of being awful about sleeping in her cot. She could climb out easily and I had to stand guard for hours to have any chance of her dropping off. And even then she'd wake up soon afterwards hmm. I can't remember how it ended save that we're all still alive and have all our limbs. I think I went out some evenings - it was me she wanted - and that might have broken the cycle. It was awful - I really sympathise.

Amber good luck and God bless smile.

Neenz thanks re DD1 smile

Dewin we had a swinging crib for the girls and it was great. Lasted much longer than a moses basket but small enough for them not to get lost. I'll ask DH if we still have ours in storage and if you're prepared to take the same risk I took with maternity clothes you're welcome to it grin.

My bday is soon too! Early Feb and I'll be 40 sad. I'm having ishoos about it...

systemsaddict Thu 06-Jan-11 14:52:14

Oooh that's interesting Rolf. I have a couple of nights out coming up - tonight and Monday, and possibly Tuesday. Will try and talk dp into letting me take Friday, Saturday and Sunday off too.

Don't fancy my chances but anything is worth a try!!

systemsaddict Thu 06-Jan-11 14:52:59

and don't worry, 40 is the new 30 these days. (mind you I didn't cope well with turning 30 if I remember rightly!)

ktpie Thu 06-Jan-11 15:12:08

I've ditched my christmas name now too, we still have our decorations up too systems, been too busy to do anything about them. Better get them down tonight.

We borrowed a swinging crib for H, he was in a moses basket for the first few weeks, easier for moving around the house when they are really little, then we moved him to the crib which lasted us ages, we had to modify it to stop it swinging too much with J around. £30 sounds good for one.

H has just woken up, typical timing.

Good luck for tomorrow Amber if I don't get on here before then.

ShouldersBackAndNoBiscuits Thu 06-Jan-11 16:27:19

dewin we're using a crib this time around as C got too long for the moses basket at about 4 months. so far so good, and as it is borrowed, free! £30 is good, but not so good as free! (please forgive me for the rhyming title, I suggested it as a joke, I didn't expect knitting to do it... grin)

KnittingRocks Thu 06-Jan-11 17:28:25

grin grin grin

Couldn't resist it biscuits - fifth day bedridden and I'm bored and trouble making wink.

Neenz, I'm receovring (very slowly) from flu. And I'm not feeling any better at all. I ache so much I can't lie in one place for long and the night sweats are something else blush.

I can't remember who it was who was talking about the jab but I'm definitely definitely definitely having it next year. I haven't had flu for about 10 years and obviously didn't have kids then, which just makes the whole thing horrendous. We obviously can't ask anyone to come and help for fear of giving it to them so dh is just falling apart at the seams trying to do everything sad and doing all the nights, early mornings and then going to work.

Sorry for the moan. It's frustration more than anything. I don't do "sitting around" for more than 5 mins usually so cabin fever doesn't even come close to describing how I'm feeling right now!

SpiderWilliam Thu 06-Jan-11 17:30:11

This time we have bought a second hand Amby Nest off eBay as P is still in his cot-bed (newly converted to a bed). I had terrible Amby envy when I saw some NCT people using them first time. After a bad sleeper I thought it might be the answer. We never bothered with a Moses basket for P and used the carry cot that came with the Chicco travel system. I bought an extra pram mattress and trimmed it down to size so that it was more comfy. Just as well we didn't go for a Moses basket because P had outgrown the carrycot for overnight sleep by 5 weeks and went into the enormous cot-bed. The Amby nests are meant to last till 12 months, but W is also turning into a porker so we will be doing well if we get to 6 months I think. No idea what we will do then as there is no space in our room really and so he will have to share with P. (Have I mentioned that we need to move house at all? wink)

Neenz we are doing a mixture of co-sleeping and sleeping in the Amby. Last night was all in the Amby as I managed to stay awake longer than W grin. W is 2 months old tomorrow shock, so I suppose he is no longer really a "newborn". For that I reason I am beginning to think that he ought to be settling a little earlier in the evening, but if D is still up till 10pm that's reassuring.

sybilvimes Thu 06-Jan-11 17:34:55

Poor you Knitting, hope you feel better soon.

I am so excited about Amber's twins. I wonder what she is going to call them.

Nice title by the way!

SpiderWilliam Thu 06-Jan-11 18:15:59

Amber I hope your twins are placid too. I have always thought that Luke and Peter are q similar in their demanding personalities and certainly their commitment to dodging sleep. During the last few weeks of W's pregnancy I repeatedly stroked the bump and said "placid baby" out of desperation mostly wink. Thus far it seems to have worked.

SpiderWilliam Thu 06-Jan-11 19:48:52

Knitting sorry double x post. Hope you feel better soon. Sorry it's grim right now.

Amberc Thu 06-Jan-11 20:42:57

Thanks for all the good wishes everyone. Signing off now until the deed is done xx

DewinDoeth Thu 06-Jan-11 21:08:57

Beside myself with excitement for Amber! smile (Also a tiny little lol at Spider's comment about Peter and Luke. smile)

Just went to a rehearsal for a church group (we have traditional new year's carols here and I'm taking part). I had to sit down at one point (too much standing with the overhead heater thingys) and the lady next to me who I know from church said 'hahahaha, maybe you're pregnant', and on seeing my face realised I actually was, and then the other lady said she'd guessed. (And she's going to be a grandmother for the first time in June. smile) Now they're all excited and I am too!

My scan was good the other day - it was basically one of those private £250 scans for free! grin And I get to have a free 4D one too! shock I know the sonographer from church. I got the full nuchal fold thingy which I don't get up here. (I was massively paranoid - this time and last time.) Anyhow, now we have a DVD, and 20 pictures of the baby. Sex not identified but she had a hunch (apparently they have a protrusion at this stage which either shrinks down or becomes a willy but it's neither at the moment, although she suspected which way it looked to be going). But, I'm thinking of finding out the sex (because I couldn't bear not to grin) but not telling anybody! Partly to annoy MIL who thinks it's her right and asks me all the time - do you know what it is? (Yeah, a kitten I think. grin And how exactly am I supposed to find this out? Stick my hand up there and have a root around?!)
Sorry, carried away.

Thanks for all the crib comments. Spider I also used the carrycot (blush without any attempt to make it comfy) and also had Amby envy for a while - I even considered buying one when Iestyn was 6 months! grin Bear in mind that Iestyn was, and is, miniature!
I went to see the crib but it really was quite scruffy (but anyhow the shop was closed so I couldn't get close up).
Rolf that's ever so kind of you! I would be immensly grateful (so much so that I can't spell) for the loan of your crib until no.5 comes! grin There's time - start on your DH now, and he has until July...grin But that would be wonderful.

Rolf you need a great big party for your 40th! I did that for my 30th and it was great. Mind you I had no children then.

Post getting too massive, will stop after sending sympathies to Knitting (despite the rhyme angry). I had flu some years ago - fit and healthy 25yo. Never been so ill in my life. Having had plain old flu as a young one with no responsibilities grin, I'm terrified of it now. I'm getting the flu jab tomorrow. smile (I'm not saying that, I really am. That and a new windscreen.)

KnittingRocks Thu 06-Jan-11 21:37:22

Thanks Dewin, and you know I just couldn't resist winding you up with the thread title wink grin. I knew you'd forgive me smile.

Still, nothing like a hideous bout of flu to kick start a weight loss programme eh? grin

Just wrote a long post on birthdays, but it sounded too pollyanna so I've deleted it blush.

DewinDoeth Thu 06-Jan-11 21:42:28

Who said anything about forgiveness, Knitting? wink

KnittingRocks Thu 06-Jan-11 21:47:42

grin

Will you get your revenge in this life or the next? wink

DebInTheDales Thu 06-Jan-11 21:56:08

Great thread title, thanks

amber good luck for tomorrow!!

Won the appeal today for Tristan to go to Stefan's school - HURRAH!!!!Just hope we don't have to go through it again when Ethan starts!

SpiderWilliam Fri 07-Jan-11 07:34:59

That's great news Deb. You must be so relieved. Now you can get on with finding a house.

Knitting I nearly wrote something Pollyanna-esque about ageing too wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now