Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Jan 09 Christmas hats, toddler spats, wailing all the way...

(867 Posts)
D0G Fri 12-Nov-10 14:01:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

moosemama Fri 12-Nov-10 14:05:45

Reposting, as posted 20 seconds after Dog and got left behind. blush grin

Hi Tea, how are you doing? Good to know 120 is ok. She's been quiet for a while.

stripeywoollenhat Fri 12-Nov-10 14:07:52

we are thinking of starting a christmas tradition for c and her cousin this year, of going on a trip for them each to pick one christmas decoration and then, a big mug of hot chocolate... that way they'll amass a christmas decoration collection for their own trees when they are old enough to have them

moosemama Fri 12-Nov-10 14:08:37

Hi Dog, any particular colour scheme or style?

Saw some nice stuff in WH Smiths yesterday, but it depends what you're looking for.

I am doing brown paper with red gingham and crochet ribbon and home made felt tags.

moosemama Fri 12-Nov-10 14:12:09

That's a really nice idea Stripey. We are desperately in need of some new decorations for the tree.

We're making decorations as part of our hampers, so I might start the tradition of getting the dcs to make a new one each each year. Wish I'd done it when the boys were younger really.

D0G Fri 12-Nov-10 14:12:14

Teaandcakeplease Fri 12-Nov-10 14:19:09

My view of this new thread is very very odd and the message box is very small. So I cannot read what I am typing! Is it because I'm on the mobile mumsnet website for some reason?

Teaandcakeplease Fri 12-Nov-10 14:20:43

Ahh yes it was. Just logged in again and everything is normal.

120 said: "very well, very busy! We've had an offer on the flat so trying to get organised and no time for certain online forums smile They've rented out the house we want to buy so we have to wait another 6 months to move"

D0G Fri 12-Nov-10 14:23:41

D0G Fri 12-Nov-10 14:24:52

moosemama Fri 12-Nov-10 14:30:27

Oh Dog, I'm so sorry to hear that. Its one of the most common and most curable male cancers, although I know that proabably won't make you feel much better at this point.

There are lots of treatment options and in the majority of cases treatment is totally curative.

You are bound to be upset and worried about it, so probably the most useful thing I can do at the moment is offer virtual chocolate and ((hugs))

Teaandcakeplease Fri 12-Nov-10 14:31:54

I missed the post about prostate cancer. Oh DOG sad huge huge ((hugs))

moosemama Fri 12-Nov-10 14:35:39

Cross posted.

We are doing some saltdough ones which we slow bake paint and then seal with pva glue. I use the dcs playdough cutters (we have Father Christmas, stars and angels).

I'm also going to buy some felt and make hanging stars and hearts and some sparkly wool for making pompoms (the boys love making pompoms).

I might google for a few more ideas as well.

Oh and of course the boys will also insist on making 100 miles of paperchains. hmm grin

moosemama Fri 12-Nov-10 14:42:20

My Grandma used to make really beautiful mini card baubles like these. I've never tried as Mum said they're really fiddly, but I might have a go this year. They work best with really pretty co-ordinating card.

stripeywoollenhat Fri 12-Nov-10 15:16:08

dog, sorry to hear about your dad: as moose said, prostate cancer is very treatable, hopefully he will come through pretty much unscathed. still, daunting to be looking at the treatment for all of you, have a stripey <<hug>>

kudos to the decoration makers smile i am completely cack handed at that sort of thing - just can't do it neatly enough for it not to look terrible.

hi tea smile

Teaandcakeplease Fri 12-Nov-10 15:22:55

<waves to Stripey> smile

So tired today. Jakes is unsettled at the moment and pooing a lot. Can't work out if he has a stomach bug or not but he kept waking last night and crying out sad So exhausted today, lots of coffee and too many biscuits blush

treedelivery Fri 12-Nov-10 15:52:58

Oh Dog sad It will be ok, they will treat it and it will be ok. Very common, very curable, very ok. If he has to have cancer, then let it be this one as they can whoop it's ass. I'm so sorry though, such a stress. (((hugs)))

On a frivolous and cheer you up note, go right ahead and buy these gift tags. They are The Thing. I got their little activity book for my Goddaughter, as it is a really great little present, and slipped these in the order. Can't say enough about that book, if you have a girl to buy for, or generally like nostalgia and sittting doing things.

Am justifying it by saying that we will then use cheap brown postoffice paper, and the tape which we already have smile. So not too crazy expensive in the bigger scheme of things hmm.

treedelivery Fri 12-Nov-10 16:56:44

Ok. My list.
DD1
Moon in my room
Scratch book
Volcano making set
Aqua Beads [birthday present I held back]
Glow Egg cheapo nasty thing.
2 pre loved pollypockets sets
??cheap ipod copy with her fav tunes and some stories on.

Got moon thing for £15 rather than £30 locally, so not too worried if it doesn't live up to expectations Moose. Although sorry to hear you were let down by it. I'm hoping it provides enough light to let us turn the landing one off, so actualy bright is good for us. We'll see.scratch book things, she got one for birthday and loved it. Planets that time, dinosaurs this time.

SHe has requested a crystal making kit thing, whch I think is getting a bit over heavy on the whole science thing. I got her some preloved polly pockets for £13 to at least have something toy like. So that brings her up to about £60 which is way over budget, but the mp3 player might not happen.
My mum is in ToysrUs as we speak, pondering Simpsons radio controlled cars and night vision goggles grin Maybe also a metal detector for when they go off up the woods.

DD2
Who knows!
I want some wooden shape sorters, peg puzzles and a wicker crib and a wooden red pram. I don#t dare get it incase she ignores them, like the wheely bug sad How could she???????
DD2 wants as many marbles as possible, and to watch dvds all day long.
DD2 is getting her a click clack ramp thing she saw. Dd2 is insstent on this grin I am bidding on a pre loved one on ebay.

What are you getting your babies?

Oh, if anyone see's a cheap play brush and broom set, let me know where! Dd loves sweeping up, but I don't want one of those huge plastic trolly affairs.

treedelivery Fri 12-Nov-10 16:57:33

Whoa big post grin. Am also thinking metal shopping trolly for dd2. She might like trundling about collecting stuff?

hackneyzoo Fri 12-Nov-10 16:59:27

Bookmarking new thread...house of ill small people here. Exhausted!

Dog, sorry about your Pa, that's rubbish news to get, lots of hugs to you and your family. Just to echo wat others ave said, it is very treatable,my friend Steve got diagnosed with it earlier this year and treatment was quick and effective and all seems good with him now.

Wow, you lot are all very creative and christmassy....can't even begin to contemplate it all at the moment...will definitely be needing help with present inspiration though... (Moose and Tree be prepared, I consider you gurus of all child related internet shopping)

Someone was asking bout 120... saw her last weekend for fireworks, she's good, just super busy!

Jude has green slime coming out of his ear (again) again and is all feverish on and off. Lily is ropey too and I feel like crap. Really breathless and a bit dizzy and rubbish. Seeing MW tomorrow though and baby is moving lots.

Stripey, my mum used to do the decoration thing with me at Christmas, she was dutch but grew up in Germany confused and used to bring me back a decoration each year she went to the xmas markets over there. I aunty also used to give us a different copy of 'The nigt before Christmas' each year...we now have many many copies! Nice title btw.

Moose, glad things are coming together with the schhool and DS1 and they are starting to get things in place. Hope he has a good sleepover. How is your dog doing today?

Tea hope Jake is more settled today and feeling better.

Teaandcakeplease Fri 12-Nov-10 18:14:30

My son is driving me bonkers

D0G Fri 12-Nov-10 18:32:10

moosemama Fri 12-Nov-10 18:48:00

Just a quickie, only looked at Dogs post as dh just delivered my dinner (I cooked, he served up).

Ds has been safely delivered to his party. He was unbelievably excited, so much so he got hiccoughs and apparently a 'funny feeling in my bladder Mummy'! confused grin

Dog, I buy my ribbon off ebay, its much cheaper and there's loads of choice. I bought two spools of florists ribbon, one white, one red the year ds2 was born for about a pound a spool - I'm still using it and there's loads left. grin

Actually another cheap idea for impressive wrapping is tissue paper and that clear florists cellophane. You can get both really cheap on ebay.

We do christmas eve new pjs too. grin

Anyhoo, must eat. Back later hopefully.

treedelivery Fri 12-Nov-10 18:56:18

here Dog. Be warned, you will want one grin Here it is for sale Yellow Moon or lakeland would have festive cutters, GLTC and all that sort of thing.
Having very lusty thoughts about this. WOuld it go in dd's room Moose?

Your Christmas eve sounds lovely Dog. smile.

Am in a right mood, my family are driving me insane. Even dd1 sad combination of constipation toxic energy from her, and general moodiness from me. Not getting into Christmas vibe, but I really want to. Iyswim? Bit hmm at being left to my own devices with it, and being expected to mind read my chldren to know exactly what they want, with limited funds, from the cheapest places.....you all know the score here. Just the usual feeling of being taken for granted

Have been thrown a lifeline though, I am not working Christmas. {grin]grin I finish nights the day before Christmas Eve. This is unheard of!
I am 8am-8.15pm on new years day and the 2nd, but I'm not bothered. I have Christmas off!

D0G Fri 12-Nov-10 19:13:08

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now