Talk

Advanced search

Electoral reform for Westminster: aye or, erm, the other one (neigh?)

(8 Posts)
policywonk Wed 24-Jun-09 20:33:44

<winnies>

I'm a long-term PR fancier, myself. Must admit I'm befuddled by the various systems though.

There's a pro-reform rally next Thursday in Westminster Central Hall - see here for details if you like standing around with like-minded folks and feeling a bit awkward.

artichokes Mon 06-Jul-09 19:32:02

its actually noe. the ayes to the right and the noes to the left.

I too am befuddled too. I think we need a system that maintains the constituency link. Something like the Jenkins Commission recommended.

Tonight I am more worried about the Parliamentary Standards Bill. In an attempt to look authoritative in the wake of the expenses scandal Brown has introduced a rashly drafted Bill that will forever change the way Parliament works and goes much further than keeping a check on expenses. It will actually cos the public loads as lengthy court battles are fought over the actions of parliamentarians and it may well discourage free speech in Parliament. Nobody cares though as it is so obscure and technical sad.

EachPeachPearMum Tue 07-Jul-09 12:40:44

The problem is there are so many pr systems aren't there?

policywonk Sun 12-Jul-09 19:15:36

It's the world's slowest-moving thread!

Tell us about the PSB then, 'chokes. Is it the sovereignty thing that worries you? How far does the bill go? Is it likely to be passed? Does it do away with parliamentary privilege?

EachPeachPearMum Mon 13-Jul-09 19:10:25

artichokes- wasn't part of the Jenkins recommendations to have some 'floating' mps, elected without constituency?

policywonk Sun 26-Jul-09 15:01:30

Labour is apparently considering a referendum on AV alongside the next general election: here

AV isn't well regarded by pro-PR campaigners but it sounds as though they'd be prepared to settle for it for now.

artichokes Mon 27-Jul-09 13:38:24

Bless you for persevering with this thread Policy!

I think a referendum on voting methods is a great idea (although are they just going to ask for opinions on AV vs first-past-the-post?). I just wish it wasn't being done as part of a poltical point scoring exercise. I am sick of massive constitutional reform being carried out with little thought in order to obtain positive press coverage.

Do I remember you saying you do a politics blog? If so, where can I find it?

policywonk Mon 27-Jul-09 19:47:47

'I am sick of massive constitutional reform being carried out with little thought in order to obtain positive press coverage.' heh, that's very true.

There's a link to my blog on my profile, but it's dormant at the moment. I have spent a couple of months familiarising myself with prominent UK political blogs and am now completely intimidated. But how nice of you to ask grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now