Talk

Advanced search

Welcome back to the grownup world America

(9 Posts)
Colate Wed 20-Jan-21 18:34:41

Thank goodness we will be back to a normal America now that Trump has gone. What a disaster not only for America, but for the rest of the world.

OP’s posts: |
Colate Wed 20-Jan-21 18:35:58

Colate

Thank goodness we will be back to a normal America now that Trump has gone. What a disaster not only for America, but for the rest of the world.

because of Trump! -- forgot this bit!

cdtaylornats Fri 22-Jan-21 15:25:56

I'm not sure we should laud a politician just for not being a different politician. Biden is in control of both houses so lets give him a year of unfettered power then praise him.

We had this in Scotland - in 2014 Sturgeon took over and we all said thank God Salmond has gone - 6 years later we have a one party dictatorship and a rapidly declining Scotland.

Newrumpus Sun 24-Jan-21 07:34:40

I think you will be disappointed. I’m not sure that very much has been learnt from the last few years. Which means the same mistakes are likely to be repeated but possibly with more extreme options in the future. I hope once the fawning excitement of inauguration dies down, some sensible insights emerge. I’m not optimistic though.

Colate Sun 24-Jan-21 13:06:50

Mine is not a vote of confidence in Biden. I'm sure America will still pursue many of its isolationist and self interested policies and actions. It is just that the worst ever POTAS with the most disgraceful solipsistic and unpleasant character has been got rid of. He has been nothing less than an immense embarrassment to the wealthiest, most powerful and most heavily armed country in the world. What a guy to have in-charge of the big red button, for a start.
The worry of course is that over 70 million people voted for him to be president for a second term. What is to done about that?
Anyway, the old adage might be applicable. "Praise the good and ignore the bad." Well, I said "might".

partyatthepalace Sun 24-Jan-21 13:15:26

Don’t think UK is in any position to welcome anyone back to the grown up world, given our leadership puts us firmly in the nursery.

Colate Mon 25-Jan-21 16:12:51

partyatthepalace

Don’t think UK is in any position to welcome anyone back to the grown up world, given our leadership puts us firmly in the nursery.

Touche! I have to agree!

cdtaylornats Tue 02-Feb-21 08:32:16

partyatthepalace I don't agree - imagine we had Corbyn, nobody vaccinated and 12 months of lockdown.

HoneysuckIejasmine Tue 02-Feb-21 08:55:00

Was that Corbyns plan then?

Fucks sake. Corbyn (who I did not like) has not been near front bench government for well over a year, is no longer Leader of the Opposition and has fuck all to do with what Boris did or didn't do. How long will we keep saying "oh yeah, [minister] is a bit shit but at least they aren't Corbyn!" Grow up! You can't excuse your own failure by saying someone else would have been worse. Childish nonsense.

So OP, I don't think we can comment really, with the state of our own house.

Fwiw I do agree though and hope for better things for the US.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in