Talk

Advanced search

Boris’ Magic Money Tree

(14 Posts)
JediJim Fri 26-Jul-19 20:45:40

I’m aware there are lots of political threads going on but just thought I’d share this one.

Two days ago, I saw BJ stand on the steps of number ten Downing Street and saw one of the most awe inspiring speeches I have seen by a PM. Part of me would love to believe it but part of me is being cynical.

Here’s what Boris promised that I can remember ;

The recruiting of 20000 police officers, starting soon apparently.
No EU citizen will have to leave the UK..( quite rightfully obviously).
More money spent on each school child.
More money spent on the NHS.
Older people who will not have to worry about selling their homes to fund social care.
More money spent on our roads and rail.
More money spent on infrastructure.
The UK will be turbocharged with the preparation for Brexit.
Brexit. A good deal. Nothing else.
Major investment into public services.
Jobs and good pay.

Dave and Theresa have been telling us there is no magic money tree. Where is the cash coming from? Why is it suddenly available?

Boris is forgetting a few obstacles in his way, the SNP, his pro remain MPs, Corbyn, the DUP , Sinn Fein and of course the EU.

OP’s posts: |
DobbyTheHouseElk Fri 26-Jul-19 20:49:53

The animals too, they must be treated kindly.

I actually thought this was the weirdest part.

Mishappening Fri 26-Jul-19 20:50:47

I emailed him and asked him to get his skates on over funding social care so that I would not have to mortgage our home in the next few weeks to pay for the live-in care my sick OH needs.

Rufusthebewilderedreindeer Fri 26-Jul-19 20:51:54

He was also going to lower tax threasholds...or some of them wasn’t he?

PerkingFaintly Fri 26-Jul-19 20:59:30

Animals?

That's ringing a bell.

I've just had cause to revisit Dominic Cummings' oeuvre. His Facebook microtargetting during the referendum included special ads to hook in animal lovers.

Brexit: The Uncivil War showed us how the EU Referendum was won with Data Science
towardsdatascience.com/brexit-the-uncivil-war-showed-us-how-the-eu-referendum-was-won-with-data-science-3d727ee03fc0

I'm NOT going to sit through a Johnson jolly japes jamboree, but did his speech chime with those Cummings-directed ads?

JediJim Fri 26-Jul-19 21:11:38

Oh and also everyone will have a super internet connection.

He has just given himself 100 days to get this all done. If we haven’t left the EU by October 31st, he’s toast surely??

DobbyTheHouseElk Fri 26-Jul-19 21:13:02

Yep, as he was rounding up. He started to talk about animals. How they must be looked after. It was the most random of all his speech. They always promise everything, but the animals was taking it to new heights.

DobbyTheHouseElk Fri 26-Jul-19 21:14:03

I doubt his father has phone signal where he lives, let alone dust broadband.

PerkingFaintly Fri 26-Jul-19 21:22:30

Dust broadband?

But does he have a daemon, though?grin

DobbyTheHouseElk Fri 26-Jul-19 21:42:19

Sorry I meant FAST.

TheSultanofPingu Sat 27-Jul-19 01:39:42

I think his calculator's broken.

ilovesooty Sat 27-Jul-19 01:45:18

What he really means is replacing the police that May cut in the first place.

He relies on people having short memories.

JediJim Sat 27-Jul-19 20:36:50

Can he really be worse than May? What did she really do in three years? As Home Sec she was responsible for losing 20 thousand police officers. She also managed to pee off the Police Federation on numerous occasions. She saw Brexit as a problem, yet she put herself in that position by being PM.
She never spoke up for the UK, and we have been a laughing stock for the past three years.
Dave was ruthless with cuts to public services, but at least he was honest about them. May simply let the austerity continue, hiding herself behind Brexit.

cdtaylornats Sun 28-Jul-19 22:59:46

Boris proposals seem quite modest compared to Corbyns

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in