Talk

Advanced search

Tim Farron has just left

(47 Posts)
RTKangaMummy Wed 14-Jun-17 18:40:10

Just announced

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 14-Jun-17 18:41:35

I think his personal opinions were at odds with his political personality needs.

Not sure how I feel. Presumably Vince Cable will be the new leader?

RTKangaMummy Wed 14-Jun-17 18:41:42

Tim Farron has stepped down as leader of the Liberal Democrats after the general election.
In a statement, he said he was "torn between living as a faithful Christian and serving as a political leader".
He said he should have dealt "more wisely" with questions relating to his faith during the election campaign, including his views on gay sex.
He insisted he had taken the decision voluntarily and he retained the support of his party.

RTKangaMummy Wed 14-Jun-17 18:42:29

sorry should have given source

Copied from BBC WEBSITE

Tim Farron has stepped down as leader of the Liberal Democrats after the general election.
In a statement, he said he was "torn between living as a faithful Christian and serving as a political leader".
He said he should have dealt "more wisely" with questions relating to his faith during the election campaign, including his views on gay sex.
He insisted he had taken the decision voluntarily and he retained the support of his party.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 14-Jun-17 18:42:51

Well there you go! Too much of a conflict for him.

CycleHire Wed 14-Jun-17 18:43:33

Blimey!

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 14-Jun-17 18:44:27

His seat was won after a second vote as well. Maybe he's not feeling secure in his leadership qualities.

sobeyondthehills Wed 14-Jun-17 18:45:03

My lib dem friends want Jo Swinson

SenseiWoo Wed 14-Jun-17 18:46:36

Decent bloke. How often do people do things like that nowadays? I thought quite a few of the questions he faced were unfair.

TheSpottedZebra Wed 14-Jun-17 18:47:07

I think he was a poor excuse for a liberal anyway.

AndNowItIsSeven Wed 14-Jun-17 18:47:23

That's such a shame, really liked Tim.

sleepingdragons Wed 14-Jun-17 18:47:26

Is he a homophobe?

AndNowItIsSeven Wed 14-Jun-17 18:48:07

No sleeping he isn't, grow up!

NataliaOsipova Wed 14-Jun-17 18:51:05

I can see both sides of this. On the one hand, one's personal beliefs should be that - personal and not subject to scrutiny in an work context unless they affect the ability to do the job. And he voted along "liberal lines" with regard to any social issues. That said, liberal values are, I think, inherently at odds with some Christian values and teaching. People talk about "the illiberalism within liberalism", but surely it has to be so, otherwise it disappears up its own arse in a vortex of contradiction? Fully agree he is a very decent bloke though.

TheSpottedZebra Wed 14-Jun-17 18:51:49

Well, he is a bit.

And Paddock resigned from LibDem front bench citing concerns about Farron's views.
Will he now un resign ?

TheSpottedZebra Wed 14-Jun-17 18:52:07

Paddick, obvs.

Riversleep Wed 14-Jun-17 18:53:08

I thought some of the questioning was unnecessary too. Teresa May is also a committed Christian but wasn't hassled about it all the time. Farron has always voted for equal rights and equal marriage afaik unlike TM. I like Jo Swinson too.

ExplodedCloud Wed 14-Jun-17 18:56:01

Fair play to him. He did get himself tied up over his religious beliefs and if the DUP do force a vote on any aspect of the things he's been asked about, as leader of a party he'd come under scrutiny again.
Still think he had one of the campaign highlights with his Bake Off joke.

JumpingJellybeanz Wed 14-Jun-17 18:57:07

Liberal values are not at odds with Christians values. It is entirely possible to be a Christian but to be grown up enough to know that other people don't believe the same and to not think it's right to impose your belief on them.

TheSpottedZebra Wed 14-Jun-17 18:58:18

But surely it's more about having one's core beliefs being at odds with the party ethos?
Then voting against that.

It's more like TM being against house ownership, but voting 'for it', then being really unconvincing in her interviews about it.

Saucery Wed 14-Jun-17 18:59:05

He'd gone up in my estimation but that little display of Toys/Pram tantrumming was pathetic. Considering what else is in the news today, could he not have waited?
Came across as very Poor Me.

MaryWortleyMontagu Wed 14-Jun-17 19:00:15

I think it's a real shame that he appears to be saying that it is impossible to be both a Christian and a leader of a political party in this day and age.

As a LD member I hope Norman lamb stands again.

NataliaOsipova Wed 14-Jun-17 19:01:05

....but Theresa May has never styled herself as a liberal. Believing gay sex is wrong is a socially conservative view.

Those saying he is "a bit" of a homophobe, I think it whether it matters in be political concept depends on which "bit", if that makes any sort of sense. This is putting it crassly, but Liberal doesn't mean right on or that you personally approve of things; it means that you accept the rights of others to live their lives as they choose (to the extent that it does not have a negative impact on others). So "I'm a Liberal. I dislike the idea of gay sex and it isn't for me - but I respect the rights of others to feel and live differently" is very different from "I'm a Liberal but I believe that gay sex is a sin against God and is objectively wrong". Only the latter is inherently contradictory.

LuluJakey1 Wed 14-Jun-17 19:03:11

No surprise and he couldn't convince people as a leader. The speech was unconvincing in itself. I imagine Vice Cable will be leader.

NataliaOsipova Wed 14-Jun-17 19:04:24

Liberal values are not at odds with Christians values. It is entirely possible to be a Christian but to be grown up enough to know that other people don't believe the same and to not think it's right to impose your belief on them.

But Christianity is a proselytising religion. Again, out crassly, as a Christian, your aim is to save people, to get them to see the light and believe what you believe. And part of that is that there are objective rights and wrongs, as set down by an all powerful God. So I think they are at odds over quite a number of things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now