charge.org petition about electoral fraud 8/6/2017

(30 Posts)
olliegarchy99 Mon 12-Jun-17 18:03:39

just putting this out there :
www.change.org/p/uk-electoral-commission-labour-general-election-fraud-2017

HarrietKettleWasHere Mon 12-Jun-17 18:06:01

hmm

Bookaboo Mon 12-Jun-17 18:16:06

Quite a reasonable request OP. But it does sound a bit like we're willing to accept there is abuse of postal votes when I'd like to see something done about that too.

I'm not sure I understand what the face is for harriet? Do you think students should be allowed to vote twice?

HarrietKettleWasHere Mon 12-Jun-17 18:17:13

No, but I think it's frankly bollocks, sorry.

Out2pasture Mon 12-Jun-17 18:19:15

No one should be allowed to vote twice.

HarrietKettleWasHere Mon 12-Jun-17 18:27:44

No one is allowed to vote twice 🙄

HarrietKettleWasHere Mon 12-Jun-17 18:31:20

*in a general election.

JimmyGrimble Mon 12-Jun-17 19:33:39

Clutching at straws .....

MotherOfBleach Mon 12-Jun-17 19:38:01

Oh, that's why labour did so well? It was all the student's fault. And here's me thinking it was the diabolical campaign TM ran coupled with people finally starting to wake up to the brutal effects the cuts are having on the vulnerable. How silly of me.

Reow Mon 12-Jun-17 19:51:28

I thought it was us liberal leftie snowflakes that were supposed to be the bitter ones?

Get off our bandwagon you Tory.

Bookaboo Mon 12-Jun-17 23:18:50

I was a bit confused at all these posts and then I realised that this has been titled "labour general election fraud^. Completely missed this first time!

Really misleading. I think something needs to be done about voting fraud, but I really disagree with the idea that this is just a labour issue.

(NB I didn't vote labour or conservative)

MrsDanversKnickers Mon 12-Jun-17 23:24:03

Get off our bandwagon you Tory grin

HannahGlasgowGal Thu 15-Jun-17 14:20:03

This petition was sparked by the horrific harassment of someone I follow on twitter, who wrote a tweet saying she voted for Corbyn twice (in both labour leadership elections, not the general election). The trolls refused to accept her clarification and continued to harass her. They made this petition and used a screenshot of her tweet. She had to threaten legal action in order to make them remove her image. This isn't something you should be supporting.

In terms of voter fraud, no one has provided any evidence that this is a major issue. Votes are cross referenced. When you go to a polling station they cross your name off a list and your name is attached to a ballot number. This is not as simple as this petition has made it out to be, regardless of the harassing behaviour of the people who started it

RufusTheRenegadeReindeer Thu 15-Jun-17 21:57:39

However, it is an offence to vote twice in the same type of election, such as in a UK general election. Doing this could result in a fine of up to £5,000.

I call bollocks on the people 'confessing' to voting twice in a general election and weirdly both of the stories i have heard involve voting for the same party

How very, very strange

RufusTheRenegadeReindeer Thu 15-Jun-17 21:58:41

Thats a dreadful shame hannah

I am so glad that mumsnet is the only thing i do, people can be vicious

RufusTheRenegadeReindeer Thu 15-Jun-17 22:00:12

And whats pissing me right off is that the party in question didnt even 'win'

But it seems that because they did better than expected they must have 'cheated' some how

Fucks sake

Askyourself Fri 16-Jun-17 15:39:03

Doesn't matter if they won or not. No party should benefit from fraudulent votes.

What's laughable about some of the anti Tory statements here is that if this was the conservatives being accused, the frothy mouthed Corbyn sycophants would be raging, and rioting in the streets with the media would be having a field day atttacking the Torys for cheating.

Setting that all aside and looking at the situation the simple truth i believe is this.

If there has been double voting, mail fraud votes, or disappeared postal votes, whenever possible the people responsible should be tracked down, fined and banned from voting ever again. Then changes need to be made to ensure it doesn't happen again. So yes this should be investigated no matter what party it involves, otherwise our entire democratic process is a waste of time.

HannahGlasgowGal Fri 16-Jun-17 16:24:29

What evidence is this petition based on? other than the tweet I mentioned which has been explained.

RufusTheRenegadeReindeer Fri 16-Jun-17 18:33:02

Which anti tory comments ask

There are 19 comments on her including mine and only mothers quote could even vaguely be construed as anti tory

Askyourself Fri 16-Jun-17 18:48:50

As the idea is out there that this is possible and that this may or probably has happened at least once. Now it can't be ignored regardless of whether or not the initial reason for this claim was false.

I'd suggest all of the electoral registers are compared for duplications of names and DOB. If there are then it may warrant further investigation, if there isn't, well that shoots that theory out of the water.

Be good to know either way now.

Askyourself Fri 16-Jun-17 19:00:20

Rufus "Get off our bandwagon you Tory."

An example maybe, the grasping at straws comment implies etc.

The point was if someone suggests Labour doing wrong it's all rubbish an it's just sour grapes from Torys, if torys possibly done something it's flame city and time to riot and something must be done. Why ? Wrong is wrong which ever party is involved and should not be pushed aside. Even if it was the greens. It's a point of principle and faith or lack of in the system.

Let's be honest all the parties would probably sell their grandmothers to win. Honest morale upstanding intelligent politicians don't last 5 mins. We'd all like to believe differently but the cynicism in us all tells us otherwise. It's up to the people to keep asking the questions of the system whoevers in charge to ensure they don't get too blazen and we become like Russia with Putin fixing every election.

HannahGlasgowGal Fri 16-Jun-17 19:09:19

That doesn't work because there are certain people who are entitled to be registered in two places. Like I said, when you go to a polling station your name is crossed off a list and your ballot is attached to a number. They would know if you had voted in both because you would be included in the turnout for both constituencies

Askyourself Fri 16-Jun-17 19:51:28

But who checks, you say they are crossed off, but who then tells the other that the vote was there on the day? So you could easily vote in both places without anyone noticing I'd imagine. It's only if they are being scrutinised would they pick it up ?

RufusTheRenegadeReindeer Fri 16-Jun-17 19:53:34

Let's be honest all the parties would probably sell their grandmothers to win

I might not agree completely with you but you sure as hell have the above right smile

RufusTheRenegadeReindeer Fri 16-Jun-17 19:58:12

I think ask the problem i have

Is that we have had a few reports of (to be honest fucking stupid) students voting twice for labour

Even if we ignore the fact that these fuckwits have apparently confessed to a crime on social media its convenient that its labour

I am now for one minute saying that you are saying this (as you aren't smile) but there seems to be a lot of eermm disapproval aimed at some of the younger voters

Either they are voting just for tuition fees, or because they are inexperienced, or they are voting illegally

Just seems a very great shame and i am probably over sensitive about it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now