Talk

Advanced search

State opening of parliament and Queen's speech is being delayed

(33 Posts)
RTKangaMummy Mon 12-Jun-17 13:01:13

According to BBC NEWS

WorshipTheGourd Mon 12-Jun-17 13:04:18

This can only mean TM is in increasing trouble, surely???

RTKangaMummy Mon 12-Jun-17 13:07:14

IMHO "WEAK AND WOBBLY" is a very good term for her

rollonthesummer Mon 12-Jun-17 13:07:27

That's was supposed to be in 7 days! Surely they can get it together in a whole week?!

HirplesWithHaggis Mon 12-Jun-17 13:10:40

Can't get the goatskin dry in time, apparently.

RTKangaMummy Mon 12-Jun-17 13:11:29

I have no idea but the Queen's daily timetable is so busy and fixed so far in advance this must have thrown it into chaos

I think they knew when it was going to be ages ago

Politicians should be able to sort themselves out, after all if in another job you have a deadline you have to work to you can't just alter it cos you aren't ready can you?

angryangryangryangryangryangry

Missingthepoint Mon 12-Jun-17 13:11:45

Giving the Govt benefit of doubt here. 10 days from Election to State Opening is fine if you have big majority so speech writes itself from the big manifesto commitments. That is not the case here. When DC formed formal coalition the State Opening was probably delayed too. The famous "Rose Garden" Cameron/Clegg double act didn't happen till Tues?/Weds of the week following election.

Lasvegas Mon 12-Jun-17 14:05:46

Misingthe point you have made be feel positive. We need parliament so MP's can back to work in Parliament, debating and passing bills.

alltouchedout Mon 12-Jun-17 14:14:08

I'm a republican but oh, I can't help but grin at the thought of the queen just responding to all attempts to arrange a queen's speech with "not that day, I'm busy".

EdithWeston Mon 12-Jun-17 14:24:59

Well it had been due on 19th, and that's during Royal Ascot 16-20th. II can imagine the Queen being pretty pleased if she can nip off for more of the racing.

crown

But she might be a little cross if they don't get on with it and it delays departure for Scotland (first Holyrood garden party 4 July)

TeacupDrama Mon 12-Jun-17 14:37:38

Maybe she could just read it off normal paper and get goatskin vellum copy done later, s
uspect there are not too many unemployed vellum writers to wheel in for emergency quick writing session

ExplodedCloud Mon 12-Jun-17 14:44:32

Surely with all the 'controversial' stuff taken out because of the minority govt, there's not much to actually write? They must surely have a bit of vellum knocking about the place...

christinarossetti Mon 12-Jun-17 14:52:06

May is clearly panicking. She can't even start the first draft yet, as the DUP haven't confirmed that they will support her minority government and the campaign Manifesto was so flimsy and inadequate that it will take some doing to turn it into speech.

Brexit negotiations to start in, what? a week now?

JimmyGrimble Mon 12-Jun-17 14:56:20

She's busy ripping up the manifesto.

drspouse Mon 12-Jun-17 15:25:30

They must surely have a bit of vellum knocking about the place
I'm sure they could cut it off the side of another document, if it's going to be short.

ExplodedCloud Mon 12-Jun-17 15:29:35

"My government will try not to bugger things up any more than they already have done. There job done, come on Phillip, we can get home in time for Countdown and a Chelsea bun."

rollonthesummer Mon 12-Jun-17 16:36:24

Would love to be a fly on the wall!!

ThumbWitchesAbroad Mon 12-Jun-17 16:40:00

Am also having visions of Queenie saying "no, sorry, one is not available that day --or any other--" just for the sake of it. grin

I know she wouldn't really - but I bet she'd WANT to.

ExplodedCloud Mon 12-Jun-17 17:30:31

Thumb grin
"Oh. Tuesday? One's having one's hair set. Soz.'

ThumbWitchesAbroad Mon 12-Jun-17 17:32:48

grin

BubblesBuddy Mon 12-Jun-17 23:04:45

Just to correct the info above - Royal Ascot is 20th - 24th June this year and she does the Royal procession every day. The Queen would no doubt put duty above Royal Ascot but she won't like it. Royal Ascot is a highlight of her year!

RTKangaMummy Tue 13-Jun-17 00:16:56

I really don't see why WEAK & WOBBLY can't get on with writing her speech to a deadline

After all she just needs to take anything out of manifesto that might be controversial, so it will only be a few sentences long with lots of waffle

She is meeting DUP and others later today and then over for lunch over to France

I mean if she can't meet this time deadline then what is she going to do with brexit and those timed deadlines?

Most deadlines in the RL job market have to be met otherwise you are penalised, aren't you?

I really hope she doesn't get to mess up the Queen's favourite week of the year at Royal Ascot just thru her incompetence angryangryangry

MaryTheCanary Tue 13-Jun-17 00:23:08

Good gawd. The way things are going, I'm tempted to wonder whether it might not be better for all if Her Maj just stepped in and ran the whole bloody government for a few years until everyone had sorted themselves out.

NorthernLurker Tue 13-Jun-17 00:23:08

The queen could open parliament in the morning and just make it to ascot but she will be very, very pissed off. It needs sorting quick. The Spanish royals are visiting mid July - the visit was cancelled last year because they were having a constitutional crisis......

RTKangaMummy Tue 13-Jun-17 00:33:45

I said the same to DH about Queen running country cos at least she knows all the mistakes all the PMs have made over last 64 years so might use some of that knowledge to run the country properly

I want to her to just get on with it next week cos I want to watch PMQs and I am busy the following week so won't be able to watch it live

So weak and wobbly must get on with it to fit into my timetable too gringringrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now