Talk

Advanced search

Theresa May scrapping certain human rights

(28 Posts)
gunting Tue 06-Jun-17 20:14:51

Can anyone explain what she means with the policy she's announced today because this sounds awful?

OP’s posts: |
OhtoblazeswithElvira Tue 06-Jun-17 20:18:15

Link? Just when you think she can't get any worse...

gunting Tue 06-Jun-17 20:20:11

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jun/06/theresa-may-rip-up-human-rights-laws-impede-new-terror-legislation

slightlyglitterbrained Tue 06-Jun-17 20:23:39

So, she wants to introduce the most heavy surveillance on the planet (despite cutting all the neighborhood police who could have told her about the extremists by, y'know, doing normal police work), AND basically throw out "innocent till proven guilty"?

slightlyglitterbrained Tue 06-Jun-17 20:24:35

She's gone over the edge. That's what it means.

gunting Tue 06-Jun-17 20:27:33

This just strikes me as letting 'terrorists win'.

Innocent people will have their lives surveilled, surely? Isn't this the kind of shit that lead to Guantanamo?

CrossWordSalad Tue 06-Jun-17 20:29:48

So, she wants to introduce the most heavy surveillance on the planet

I can't find any mention of this in the linked article.

gunting Tue 06-Jun-17 20:33:28

@CrossWordSalad surely that is implied with her wanting to control movements of people who aren't even prosecuted

Redactio Tue 06-Jun-17 20:34:26

Having read the article, it looks like typical Grauniad anti Tory hyperbole. Gunting - innocent people always have their lives surveilled, even if it's just by coppers with speed cameras or closed circuit tv in the street, it's a feature of modern life we have to live with.
You sound like you think that Guantanamo bay is a bad thing, a lot of people would disagree with you.

OhtoblazeswithElvira Tue 06-Jun-17 20:36:00

What a perfect storm for TM. She rides the wave of the terror attacks to scrape the Human Rights Act she hates so much. I don't know if she is desperate or maybe this is her best move so far? (best for her, of course).

gunting Tue 06-Jun-17 20:40:02

@Redactio detaining people without trial and torturing them? Excuse me for thinking that sounds utterly shit. I think it will work in the favour of terrorists, divide and conquer.

You can't compare having your movements tracked to driving past a speed camera.

gunting Tue 06-Jun-17 20:40:50

Besides, Bush's 'war on terror' helped absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things.

kickarse Tue 06-Jun-17 20:43:48

No surprise there then.

CrossWordSalad Tue 06-Jun-17 21:08:29

@CrossWordSalad surely that is implied with her wanting to control movements of people who aren't even prosecuted

Oh, okay, so you want to extrapolate from what is actually said so you can be outraged about measures that aren't being proposed. Fine.

Are you happy with the current situation with 3,000 or 23,000, depending how you measure it, known jihadis on the streets of the UK? Do you not want the state's powers to stop the terrorist atrocities we keep seeing on our streets? From my reading of the article, the proposed powers would be for use with extremist terrorists.

GraceGrape Tue 06-Jun-17 21:15:54

Good levels of community policing are the most effective way of tackling this type of terrorism. This strikes me as just an opportunity to implement the scrapping of the human rights act, which has always been one of her personal crusades. TM strikes me as fixated on a couple of narrow policies (Human Rights and immigration) that make her extremely inflexible.

slightlyglitterbrained Tue 06-Jun-17 21:18:57

Anyone with the mildest technological literacy should be able to figure out why Hashtag Rudd's surveillance proposals will not "just" fuck over human rights, but also the tech industry in the UK. Wannacry demonstrates pretty clearly why "convenient" backdoors don't stay secret, and will be misused.

MayhemAndRudderless Tue 06-Jun-17 21:22:39

Just when you think she can't possibly get any worse

slightlyglitterbrained Tue 06-Jun-17 21:24:55

Grace Agree on the inflexibility. If May was on here, we'd think she was a bot. She's wanted to take a knife to human rights law for years, and she thinks she can use the attacks to do so.

She also needs to distract attention from the fact that for the last 7 years while those attackers were being radicalised, she was Home Secretary for 6 of them, and then PM - busily telling the police they were "crying wolf" about cuts.

We already know May isn't competent to fight terrorism.

CrossWordSalad Tue 06-Jun-17 21:53:11

Would anyone like to suggest what measures they would like to see taken to tackle terrorism?

cdtaylornats Tue 06-Jun-17 22:00:12

Community Police are great when they are accepted by the community.

gunting Tue 06-Jun-17 22:00:37

@CrossWordSalad change Prevent, reverse cuts to policing (which TM actually proposed more of when she was home sec), perhaps not allowing people who appear on programmes unfurling an ISIS flag in Regents Park, who was also reported to both the police and intelligence services, to go about his business and attack London.

Out of the 5 men who have attacked this country in the past 10 weeks, 4 of them were known to security services, yet nothing was done. How did their human rights get in the way here? And why won't TM release the report of terrorism funding?

OhtoblazeswithElvira Tue 06-Jun-17 22:15:54

Would anyone like to suggest what measures they would like to see taken to tackle terrorism?

There have been 3 threads about this since Saturday. Some of them very informative.

CrossWordSalad Tue 06-Jun-17 22:31:14

Out of the 5 men who have attacked this country in the past 10 weeks, 4 of them were known to security services, yet nothing was done. How did their human rights get in the way here?

I don't know the details. But being "known to security services" is not a crime. I think this is one of the problems isn't it, that there can be reasonable grounds for suspicion but not enough evidence of a criminal action to do anything?

I agree the report should be published.

slightlyglitterbrained Wed 07-Jun-17 08:26:46

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40183147
This is the sort of report that would panic any government going into an election.

KarmaNoMore Wed 07-Jun-17 08:31:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in