We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

You know what, Corbyn could actually win this election.

(183 Posts)
surferjet Mon 22-May-17 19:05:17

He really could, the polls are looking good for labour.
TM might regret her decision to call this snap election.

squirreltrap Mon 22-May-17 19:08:42

Going on the political events of the last year, we can't count on media agendas to predict anything. So despite his absolute trashing from mainstream media, people are understanding what he is actually about rather than the twisted version of him, and so yes he could win - his policies should appeal to many many people.

Smeaton Mon 22-May-17 19:09:40

I'm not so sure.
If everyone votes with their heads as opposed to their hearts then the Tories might be ousted.
Unfortunately here are still people who vote against an entire party of hundreds because they dislike the leader.
"I could never vote for Corbyn I just don't like him" etc.
People should vote for the party, not for the leaders. Iyswim.

ZaZathecat Mon 22-May-17 19:09:56

Good.

ragz134 Mon 22-May-17 19:11:30

If we had PR then maybe, under FPTP the areas with massive majorities aren't going to change that much I don't think. It is encouraging though, we need a strong turnout.

MerryMarigold Mon 22-May-17 19:12:38

Hopefully. I think social media helps. I've only seen one pro Tory post on my FB (she works for a con MP). I have a huge friend list so I've been surprised it's not more even.

TheBogQueen Mon 22-May-17 19:13:28

He won't win.

surferjet Mon 22-May-17 19:15:00

People should vote for the party not the leader, but personality does count for a lot of people.
Funny thing is, the younger generation ( & I'm talking the under 25's ) seem to 'get him' - he's focusing on them of course, but why not? they are the future.
If they just actually go and vote, he could win.

Smeaton Mon 22-May-17 19:16:45

Just leave this here:

www.tactical2017.com/

smile

allthingsred Mon 22-May-17 19:17:56

I hope so!

katienana Mon 22-May-17 19:18:20

I don't think he will win but I think it will be a lot closer than we expected a few weeks back. I am a labour member and I did not vote for JC but he's winning me over! I admire his guts and his principles.

Chchchchangeabout Mon 22-May-17 19:19:13

I don't think so. I also hope not. I am normally a lib dem or labour voter, but I think Corbyn's Labour would be a disaster. You can't just keep giving away free money to solve all problems ever when you're ACTUALLY in charge. I also have serious questions with the way he has dealt with bullying, murky views and sexism in his party.

Bombardier25966 Mon 22-May-17 19:19:20

Whatever the outcome, I hope he remains the party leader (and I didn't feel that way a few weeks ago).

He has engaged people in politics that others could not, he has shown that some in power do listen irrespective of your background or circumstances. He has given people hope for a kinder future.

Chchchchangeabout Mon 22-May-17 19:20:36

Merry I don't think your social media feed will be a good indication of overall voting patterns.

LittleBearPad Mon 22-May-17 19:21:04

He'd be an utter disaster. As would his front bench. The best thing for the Labour Party will be for him to lose badly and finally quit.

Chchchchangeabout Mon 22-May-17 19:21:15

Not yours personally, just anyone's. FB is an echo chamber.

LittleBearPad Mon 22-May-17 19:21:55

Social media feeds definitely aren't a good indicator. They are echo chambers.

LittleBearPad Mon 22-May-17 19:22:15

X-post Chch

WellErrr Mon 22-May-17 19:23:00

I think social media helps. I've only seen one pro Tory post on my FB

I'm voting Tory and I wouldn't share anything on Facebook because people get a bit hysterical about all Tory supporters being evil child hating factory owners etc.

Beware the silent majority..!

londonfeather Mon 22-May-17 19:23:36

Oh I love him and I hope he gets in. I'm really not holding my breath though - wish I felt more confident.

NettJarrp Mon 22-May-17 19:24:02

I hope so. I'm VERY impressed with Jeremy Corbyn, particularly over the last few weeks.

WellErrr Mon 22-May-17 19:24:33

I don't understand how people can vote Labour when the sums just don't add up?

I love a lot of their policies - but they're totally unrealistic. They'll never happen.

PortiaCastis Mon 22-May-17 19:24:34

I hope so.

iwouldgoouttonight Mon 22-May-17 19:24:41

Sadly I don't think he will. I remember with the last election and the EU referendum I started to think Labour would win and that we'd remain in the EU. But I've realised it's because I read things biased to my point of view, eg my FB friends all share similar values, the suggested content tends to come from the independent, etc so I was guilty of being in my own little bubble.

In the city I live in there are three city wards, all of which tend to normally be labour, but there are seven wards in the county which all tend to be tory. The majority of the population live in the city but because of the voting system their voices count for less.

Oly5 Mon 22-May-17 19:24:47

I hope you're right

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now