Talk

Advanced search

Why does T May think that all the others will gang up against her?

(20 Posts)
Jux Mon 22-May-17 12:22:01

She says that if she loses her majority (only 6 seats atm), then all the other parties will get behind Corbyn. Somehow, I doubt it, not all of them. And she won't need many, will she?

Tw1nsetAndPearls Mon 22-May-17 13:37:31

She is sounding further away from strong and stable every day, today's u turn has only added to that.

PigletWasPoohsFriend Mon 22-May-17 13:40:00

She says that if she loses her majority (only 6 seats atm), then all the other parties will get behind Corbyn.

It's a rallying cry.

When you are ahead in the polls by a big margin, and 9 points is still a big margin, then there is a worry that voter apathy sets in. It is a way trying to avoid people not voting because it's a 'done deal'.

squishysquirmy Mon 22-May-17 15:09:28

She's trying to scare people into giving her a landslide.

Tw1nsetAndPearls Mon 22-May-17 15:30:50

If she was so strong and stable you would think she could manage a landslide without lies and scaremongering

RebelAllianceUK Mon 22-May-17 15:36:59

She doesn't think that.

She thinks she can carry lying to the electorate and get away with it indefinitely, for (only) the direct benefit of her career at the expense of the population. Let's face it, she's on a winning streak with this plan so far...

That's all. Nothing to worry about smile

Jux Mon 22-May-17 18:10:48

Her speechmaking was awful. She sounds like she's reading from an unfamiliar script, and is making emphases because that's what's been marked, not because that's what she thinks.

cdtaylornats Tue 23-May-17 12:09:27

Politicians can't win

Announces unpopular policy and changes it - weak and wobbly.

Announces unpopular policy and doesn't change it - authoritarian and doesn't listen

squishysquirmy Tue 23-May-17 12:24:57

They could try option C, and go with carefully studying all the facts before announcing well thought out, evidence based policy, and then have the balls stick to it. Unless the evidence changes. Which it won't, within 4 days.

Jux Tue 23-May-17 14:42:50

cd I do agree with you on that one; for most of my life politicians announced policy and we, the humble people, touched our forelocks and said 'right-o then'. Complained vociferously in the pub on a Friday maybe, but there was a general belief that they 'knew better' than us mere mortals. My MIL said those very words to me only 15 years ago, speaking of Blair.

Now, when politicians have finally learnt - a bit anyway! - to listen to what we, the people, say, we complain. But it's just the Press, making a story isn't it? It's not actually us complaining about the u a turn, we're mainly quite relieved about it.

Mistigri Thu 25-May-17 20:17:25

Jux don't you think that crumbling whenever the slightest pressure is applied is a kind of a worrying habit, when you are about to enter high-stakes negotiations?

Jux Thu 25-May-17 23:44:29

Yes, but is that what she's doing? Is that a crumble we see before us, or is a rethink due to better arguments being made?

Mistigri Fri 26-May-17 02:55:15

Yes, but is that what she's doing? Is that a crumble we see before us, or is a rethink due to better arguments being made?

It's giving in to pressure. Hammond's NI increase was a sensible policy. But the daily mail didn't like it, so she threw probably the most competent member of her cabinet under the bus.

Likewise, the dementia tax fiasco has been appallingly handled. She has partially u-turned in the face of bad press, but in doing so she has made a bad policy worse (capping the amount you pay primarily favours those with very valuable properties).

These are not rethinks: they are total capitulation (in the first case) and a weak and wobbly version of political spin (in the second).

This augurs terribly for high stakes negotiations, especially since they will be lead by someone (Davis) who still hasn't mastered his brief.

I suppose we all have to be grateful that BoJo has been sidelined. Small mercies eh?

Atenco Fri 26-May-17 04:04:58

I agree that it is better that a politician backtracks when they have blown it. It is the media that say that they shouldn't.

However I still don't like the Tory Party policies.

Jux Fri 26-May-17 09:54:15

Nor do I, Atenco. I am very unimpressed by May anyway, but I do have to ask things like "is it a crumble?" as I really only have dh and dbro to discuss these things with; the latter isn't v interested and the former doesn't listen because he knows (has some divine right, I think wink.)

Mistigri Fri 26-May-17 11:53:59

May's u-turns have either been triggered by poor press coverage (the two examples I gave above), or by opportunism (the election U-turn). Nothing to do with listening to voters. She listens to media magnates, the opinion polls and Nick Timothy.

Regardless of what you think of the Tory party, this inability to take a position and defend it is going to be ruinous when she comes up against experienced negotiators and European leaders, who by and large will not back down (indeed, the EU negotiators won't be in a position to back down as they must follow the agreed negotiating strategy document which has been ratified at top EU levels).

Mistigri Fri 26-May-17 11:56:29

I'd add that the Tory party might still be capable of putting together a competent negotiating team (it could appoint Dominic Grieve for example - like Starmer he is a lawyer) but you still need someone at the top who won't be driven this way and that by daily mail headlines.

Jux Fri 26-May-17 14:30:56

Thanks for your clarification, Mistigirl

imablackstarnotapopstar Wed 31-May-17 08:26:39

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

PigletWasPoohsFriend Wed 31-May-17 08:28:07

imablackstarnotapopstar

You seem to be posting the same exact post on numerous threads!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now