Talk

Advanced search

There is no real choice - so disappointed

(11 Posts)
HappydaysArehere Sun 14-May-17 09:36:47

On the Tory side I see Boris Johnson, Jeremy Hunt et al. Then there is Corbyn and Diane Abbot (she might be Chancellor with her grip on figures) and Then there are the Liberals, the Greens (heaven help us) and UKIP (what a nightmare). No wonder Theresa May is being carried around like a banner proclaiming "strong and stable" as if their political lives depend on it. Alright if the Labour Party get rid of Corbyn and his cronies and bring back the credible people we can vote for, well that might be the answer but that won't happen until after the election. If Theresa May has the courage to get rid of Johnson and Hunt and maybe get Osborn back into the Government to prop up Davies.....
Oh! Crumbs. So disappointed

MyOtherProfile Sun 14-May-17 09:38:20

You need to stop looking at personalities and start looking at policies in this election. Do you want the tory policies or labour? How important are education and the NHS to you compared with businesses for example?

Squeegle Sun 14-May-17 09:43:44

I agree. However as PP
Says, you really have to look at the policies and vote for what you believe in. Or the closest to what you believe in. I will vote lib dens as in my area this has the most likelihood of unseating evil Tory mp. If I was elsewhere I would vote labour, depending on who was most likely to be able to keep out Tories. We know it's likely to be landslide, god help us, but we need a strong opposition

tatohead Sun 14-May-17 13:17:25

Boris epitomises everything the Tories stand for, with or without him. If you don't like him then you don't vote Tory!

cdtaylornats Sun 14-May-17 14:32:10

How do you think a country with its tax base eviscerated by Corbyn will pay for the education and NHS?

Look at how left wing SNP Government in Scotland has damaged both.
www.scottishlabour.org.uk/blog/entry/nurses-are-3400-worse-off-under-the-snp
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/12/scotlands-largest-hospital-turns-away-pregnant-women-nicola/
www.scotsman.com/news/education/scotland-slips-down-world-education-rankings-in-key-subjects-1-4309849

caitlinohara Mon 15-May-17 12:13:09

I share your despair tbh. It's all very well looking at policies, but if you don't believe that the personalities involved are capable of delivering those policies, what are you meant to do? It's a case of going for the least worst option I guess. My best case scenario (and I say this as a Labour voter living in a safe Tory seat, so my vote won't matter anyway) is that Labour do badly enough to realise that they have to get rid of Corbyn and get someone else in instead (Keir Starmer, hopefully). Sort of smash it to fix it, iykwim.

allegretto Mon 15-May-17 12:17:52

You need to stop looking at personalities and start looking at policies in this election

This. Personalities come and go - who would have thought a few years ago that May would be PM? Vote for the closest fit to your politics.

cdtaylornats Mon 15-May-17 12:34:34

By calling this election May might inadvertently save the Labour party. even Corbyn must go if they are smashed - either that or stay and be left behind as a new-Labour is spawned.

caitlinohara Mon 15-May-17 13:37:19

cdtaylornats Which is why many prominent Labour MPs have been suspiciously quiet. I haven't heard a peep out of Dan Jarvis for months, or Hilary Benn for that matter, or don't they let him speak after his Syria speech? Whatever happens between now and June 8th, we are stuck with the Tories and that's entirely Corbyn's fault for being a power hungry zealot instead of allowing a less polarising figure to come forward.

MyOtherProfile Mon 15-May-17 14:47:01

that's entirely Corbyn's fault for being a power hungry zealot instead of allowing a less polarising figure to come forward.

Yes how dare he stick with the democratic vote and continue to lead the party when a minority voted him out but a majority voted him in (twice)?
Or could the issue have something to do with other power hungry labour politicians who wanted to replace him despite not winning a democratic vote (twice) and couldn't accept the will of the people so continued to cause division instead of getting behind the leader and making the best of it?

caitlinohara Tue 16-May-17 09:21:53

Oh come off it. It's no good sitting there whining "but WE all like him"! The bottom line is that he's not winning back enough votes, if any, and he knows it. Most people don't like him, they don't trust him, and they won't vote for him. So it doesn't matter what he promises, he will never get the chance to deliver anyway, and the sooner he realises that and steps aside the better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now