Talk

Advanced search

Someone has created a spreadsheet to help you vote tactically!

(20 Posts)
Destinysdaughter Thu 20-Apr-17 12:06:08

Article in the Independent
https://www.indy100.com/article/spreadsheet-voting-tactically-google-sheets-7690411

Destinysdaughter Thu 20-Apr-17 12:06:29

www.indy100.com/article/spreadsheet-voting-tactically-google-sheets-7690411

Bringmesunshite Thu 20-Apr-17 12:21:29

Can they do something which allows you to vote Labour and dump Corbyn at the same time?

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g Thu 20-Apr-17 12:25:25

Here's a direct link to the spreadsheet.

On a laptop use CTRL F to search or use the search box at the top of the sheet.

Snap8TheCat Thu 20-Apr-17 12:31:13

I guess the seats not included are a lost cause?

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g Thu 20-Apr-17 12:32:33

There's a note at the top that says it's still a work in progress, so maybe they're not all there yet. They seem to be organised in columns so you need to scroll across to see all seats.

MiltopMighty Thu 20-Apr-17 12:40:59

Cool. Thank you.

Snap8TheCat Thu 20-Apr-17 12:47:58

Thank you, I'm looking at it on my phone which is really tricky. I'll have a look later on the laptop.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 20-Apr-17 12:55:39

Be very very wary of this sort of thing, and check the calculations/formulas and base numbers yourself. This sort of thing.is often doing the rounds at election time and they may not be particularly altruistic.

InfiniteSheldon Thu 20-Apr-17 12:58:25

Creepy and weird use your vote to vote for who you believe will do the best job in the given circumstances, this type of voter manipulation should make you wary very wary.

BoneyBackJefferson Thu 20-Apr-17 13:01:37

InfiniteSheldon

Tactical voting has been around for years. So its not creepy or weird.

If we had a better election system we wouldn't need it.

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g Thu 20-Apr-17 13:07:53

I wish we had some sort of proportional representation. My vote counts for very little as I live in a very safe Labour seat. It matters little who I vote for, the Labour candidate will be re-elected. The same goes for everyone else who lives in a really safe seat. Only people in marginal constituencies have any real chance of influencing the result of the election.

twofalls Thu 20-Apr-17 13:09:37

Not creepy or weird. If we had PR we wouldn't need to do it.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 20-Apr-17 13:11:23

No problems with tactical voting (though it's shitty that we have such a crap voting system) just double check what these things tell you.

Destinysdaughter Thu 20-Apr-17 13:13:52

There's also a website for vote swapping

www.swapmyvote.uk

scaryclown Thu 20-Apr-17 13:16:32

I really think that there should be an overall count to determine the dominant party nationally and they get an additional 100 floating MPs so that the overall will of the country can translate more easily into who's actually in power.

DropZoneOne Thu 20-Apr-17 13:17:28

I'm in a safe Tory seat with UKIP in second place. Labour don't even put forward a candidate. I still vote every time in the hope that one say it will count.

The PR referendum a few years back was a joke, not PR at all, hence we still have the same system.

UrsulaPandress Thu 20-Apr-17 13:18:45

I wish the boundary changes had already taken place.

BoneyBackJefferson Thu 20-Apr-17 13:37:50

DropZoneOne
The PR referendum a few years back was a joke, not PR at all, hence we still have the same system.

But that was the beauty of it.
Offer something that isn't what people want and then split the PR factions.

Some wanted PR but voted against because it wasn't what they wanted
Others voted for it because they knew a vote for meant that it could be changed further down the line.

and then the media spinning the how hard it would be if we used it.

t was a truly fantastic piece of spin doctoring and they can still say that we had a real choice.

HRHTiggyD Thu 20-Apr-17 13:40:39

I once voted Lib Dem to keep the Tories out. The result was that Lib Dems helped the Tories in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now