Talk

Advanced search

Who is Keir Starmer?

(5 Posts)
BurnTheBlackSuit Wed 19-Apr-17 19:50:28

I was just looking at oddschecker to see the betting odds for the general election and on other politics bets, high in the lists was the name Keir Starmer- next prime minister (as in after TM), leader of the Labour Party etc. I am interested in politics, but I have never heard of him. I have looked him up on wiki and he is a lawyer who became an MP in 2015.

Who is he? Why is he such a popular betting choice for next labour leader? Why haven't I heard of him before?

tiggytape Thu 20-Apr-17 08:42:59

He's Labour's shadow Brexit person.
He is widely seen as likeable, professional, pragmatic, a safe pair of hands etc.

TheCrowFromBelow Thu 20-Apr-17 09:04:38

He's only recently become a politician but he has had a high profile legal career including director of public prosecutions and head of the CPS.

MiniAlphaBravo Thu 20-Apr-17 09:08:18

He used to be Director of Public Prosecutions which is a very important position. I've seen him speak and he's very credible and smart. A lot more mainstream than Corbyn which may make him far more electable.

BurnTheBlackSuit Mon 24-Apr-17 13:39:02

Thanks all. I have read around a bit about him since my post. He sounds like he'd make a very good labour leader! (And a good bet too...)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now