Would you support the WEP if they defined women by sex and not by gender?

(17 Posts)
dorade Sat 01-Apr-17 21:35:29

I used to support the Women's Equality Party but stopped when they made it clear thattheir policy is anyone who says they are a woman is one.

I'm really disappointed in this as in every other way I think they are just what we need (and they have the fabulous Sandi Toksvig as well). But by saying that anyone can be a woman - and by extension presumably any woman can identify out of sex-based opression - they have undermined the very thing they are supposed to be fighting for.

I'm interested to know how many other MNers would support them if it wasn't for this.

Ekphrasis Wed 19-Apr-17 18:47:18

Yes.

QueenLaBeefah Wed 19-Apr-17 18:48:05

Yes. Can't see it happening, though.

Ekphrasis Wed 19-Apr-17 18:49:39

2 threads?!

Semaphorically Wed 19-Apr-17 18:50:07

Yes.

Stuffofawesome Wed 19-Apr-17 18:50:44

Yes

OlennasWimple Wed 19-Apr-17 18:54:51

It would be a good start.

I'll be honest and admit I haven't read their policies in any details, because until they can define what they mean by "women's equality" I can't take them very seriously. But in principle I would be exactly the sort of voter that they should be courting (natural Liberal lefty fallen out of love with the current left wing and central political offerings)

HuckleberryGin Wed 19-Apr-17 18:56:20

Yes, definitely. It's the only thing stopping me joining.

offblackeggshell Wed 19-Apr-17 18:57:19

Almost certainly.

katiemarnie Wed 19-Apr-17 19:09:13

Yes

OrangeJulius Wed 19-Apr-17 19:12:54

Yes, I was incredibly excited when I first heard on radio 4 that there was going to be a new women's party. It's a shame they fell down at the first hurdle of defining a woman.

WellErrr Wed 19-Apr-17 19:15:23

Yes. Only thing stopping me joining too.

Can't see it changing though. The men would kick up too much of a fuss.

SuckItUpSnowflake Thu 20-Apr-17 11:29:32

Yes.

I was going to join when the whole premise was undermined by an inability to define "woman".

senua Thu 20-Apr-17 11:37:02

No. The WEP is too single-issue for me. It feels more like a pressure group than a political party.

TeachingPostQuery Thu 20-Apr-17 11:59:03

Wouldn't be inclined to support a single issue party (although women's rights are of course important to me). I have no problem whatsoever with their definition of women.

HuckleberryGin Thu 20-Apr-17 12:31:06

The premise was always that Ukip had started as a single issue party and had managed to get the issues of the EU/immigration at the forefront of the main political parties and they want the same for women's rights. The idea is that one day they won't need to exist.

EmpressOfTheSpartacusOceans Thu 20-Apr-17 12:36:23

It would help.

But every time they come on MN they make themselves look worse so they'd have a lot to do to appear credible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now