Talk

Advanced search

What would happen if we voted for policies not people at a GE?

(9 Posts)
blinkowl Tue 23-Aug-16 12:11:14

What if we scrapped personality politics entirely and people vote for policies not people at the ballot box?

Then the party with the manifesto nearest to the winning policies gets in.

I reckon this would work way better than the system we have today, where people form tribal allegiances with particular parties, and vote for them even - when if you ask them - their beliefs don't match the party at all!

I think this would work well, what do you reckon?
Does anywhere else do anything like this?

RortyCrankle Tue 23-Aug-16 16:40:18

I vote for the party, in my case Conservatives, for their policies, doesn't everyone?

It would never occur to me to vote for an individual.

cdtaylornats Wed 24-Aug-16 07:27:18

You would end up with very inflexible parliaments.

Say people voted for balancing the budget, lower taxes, doubling spending on the NHS and lowering the retirement age while raising pensions.

It sort of happened in Scotland when the SNP got elected on their usual unicorn in every driveway manifesto and promptly delivered almost none of it. We did get Gaelic road signs which is nice for the 1% who speak it.

WhatTheDickensian Wed 24-Aug-16 07:34:58

The trouble is that Parties rarely follow manifestos. Also manifestos are written so generally that it could mean anything.

After the referendum I'm not keen on the idea of the electorate choosing policies. People are generally ill informed, led by scaremongering and reactionary.

VoyageOfDad Wed 24-Aug-16 07:39:46

I think you'd need a truly independent press before it could happen.

And even then I don't think people would have the time to be informed on every issue.

MrHannahSnell Sat 24-Sep-16 23:29:43

People govern not policies. The personality of a candidate is far more important than their policies which can be changed almost at whim.

Teamoaktree Sun 25-Sep-16 17:15:15

It would be voting for the magic money tree. Ultimately.

meditrina Sun 25-Sep-16 17:20:10

People can vote for the representative of the party with the policy menu they prefer, if that is how they want to vote.

But they might also want to take into account whether that person, and the party generally, has integrity and is likely to live up to their word. Or just be the latest shyster to do a U-turn

0pti0na1 Tue 27-Sep-16 18:34:28

We'll still need people to carry out the policies, listen to their constituents and take forward their ideas for debate. I'm not sure how you could avoid voting for a particular person without hiding who they're going to be confused

I can think of some candidates I'd consider voting for, but definitely wouldn't want certain other representatives of their party to be my MP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now