Talk

Advanced search

Will Brexit eventually lead to staff shortages in some jobs?

(12 Posts)
concertplayer Sun 22-May-16 13:36:25

Migrants (European and non-European )mostly come here as there
are jobs which the British do not want to do .If there weren't vacancies
they would not come.
They keep the catering and the care sectors going for example.Also
they pay income tax and Ni

SpringingIntoAction Sun 22-May-16 20:56:27

OK, I'll bite.

We have 1,69 million people currently unemployed in the UK.

Are these ordinarily Uk resident unemployed untrainable and unemployable?

Shouldn't we be training them and getting them into suitable jobs instead of permitting them to fester on benefits while we import trained staff from elsewhere?

concertplayer Mon 23-May-16 10:03:58

Agree. I am only looking in the first instance at the jobs which UK
residents refuse and so are taken by outsiders for example Care work.
We desperately need certain lower paid jobs to be done and we
should do them ourselves . Even with outsiders there are shortages.
There is a shortage of suitable jobs by which I mean jobs that match
the educational/professional attainments of those wanting those jobs
Currently some do go to the EU for such work.
Nurses and doctors.Short here The problem is they are allowed to go
overseas after we have paid for their training.
So even if we Brexit we will still need outsiders

icedbunny6 Mon 23-May-16 21:07:02

Concert - I agree that "even if we Brexit we will still need outsiders" - the difference will be we can recruit these outsiders who are suitably qualified to fill the gaps in the employment market we are struggling to fill internally, without the unlimited immigration that goes with EU membership - ie. a skills based/points based system. I totally agree with this approach. Our local councils should be better placed to plan for the future re: school places, infrastructure etc, rather than guessing how many will come next year, in 3 years, in 5 years etc....talk to any local government person and they have a nightmare planning anything as they just can't predict the numbers of people coming and we can't build the infrastructure we need quickly enough for the people already here before another net 300,000 join us over the next year...if it is that many...who knows.

lljkk Mon 23-May-16 21:21:06

There shouldn't be hardly any existing skill shortages if those lines of logic were valid. Because it's already fast tracked to recruit into certain job types from anywhere in the world. There is an existing immigration points system. And yet, many skills shortages still exist.

katemiddletonsnudeheels Mon 23-May-16 21:23:09

The pay and conditions relating to care workers is abysmal.

It never used to be this bad.

An abundance of cheap labour has been very detrimental to the care sector, only at the bottom (of course.)

lljkk Mon 23-May-16 21:27:20

We'll all pay higher taxes if we want care workers to be better paid.

icedbunny6 Mon 23-May-16 22:32:59

lljkk - doesn't the existing points based system only apply to non EU nationals - EU nationals can come here as part of the free movement of people....? And this unpredictability of numbers coming is what causes problems with public service and infrastructure planning.

We need to stop subsidising big business with tax credits etc and force them to pay proper wages. And since the care sector has been taken over by venture capitalists it is purely run for profit - hence paying the lowest wages possible - these are the types of people funding the Remain campaign...

Rant over...sorry!

lljkk Tue 24-May-16 14:50:51

globalisation... big business will upsticks to somewhere with more friendly regime (lower wage economy).

NHS is big business, I think single biggest employer in western Europe. You & me fund the NHS, so we need to pay more taxes to govt. if we want NHS to pay proper wages.

Care sector, too.. it's only semi-privatised. Treasury still pays for most care (ultimately). So... more wages in care sector = higher taxes.

I generally don't mind taxes. So glad that's a view Brexit campaigners are endorsing, too smile.

Spinflight Mon 06-Jun-16 20:26:31

I don't think we'll see shortages, but increased mobility.

The entry level or unskilled jobs are the ones our youngsters should able to fill or be be starting in, not middle aged migrants they can't compete with.

As these positions become available you'll see a buffer effect, with the buffer shrinking over time. Actual shortages would be filled worldwide though from highly vetted sources who have the skills we require. There is currently massive over supply at the bottom end due to masses of unskilled labour and a shortage of positions for those qualified due to the sluggish growth of our SMEs.

Take the NHS as an example. Less demand on it's resources will mean that Trusts can plan and invest knowing how many people they need to care for. Priority for training would logically go to those eligible and likely to remain, in particular our own citizens and youngsters, so the lower skilled positions act as a buffer, declining over time.

Overall in a decade the NHS would probably need significantly fewer staff as demands fade, however those from abroad would eventually take their skills elsewhere and replaced by indigenous people trained up to fill the roles vacated.

A slow process but the relative forces acting on the workforce seem fairly clear.

Corcory Fri 17-Jun-16 21:21:58

An other thing that is happening more and more is that jobs are being advertised directly in Eastern European countries giving people from Britain no chance at all of applying for them.

MusicMum18 Sun 19-Jun-16 18:32:59

My question is this....the 'leave' campaigners are using immigration a lot in their campaign, but is it really as bad as they are making out? Especially as unemployment is currently very low?

Let's remember that immigrants have such a lot to offer our society, it is not to label them with the 'they steal our jobs' argument as its not fair on loads of immigrants that want to contribute to our society.

I think that it is such a strength of our country, that different backgrounds of people live together in a shared community.

If immigration is an issue, rather than brexit, surely it makes more sense to stay in Europe and work towards a solution whereby all countries are involved to improve immigration across Europe?

Let's not forget that many immigrants risk their own and their children's lives to leave war torn countries. Should we really just close up our borders to them? Do we want that kind of society where we just look out for 'number 1'? Personally I don't want my Dd growing up in that kind of world.

How can anyone trust the likes of Boris Johnson when the figures on his campaign bus ar incorrect, and he's made a hash in his role as mayor of London which Sadie Khan has exposed. Then there's Gove, who made a mess of education, got moved, then made a mess of the prisons. Do we want these right wingers governing our country?

Yes I think there would be staff shortages in some jobs, as many companies would be moved overseas. Some have been listed on the media and a lot of people are afraid for their jobs if we brexit. The leaves say this wouldn't happen, but then they would say that wouldn't they?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now