Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Politically correct Laabour faction calls for Livingstone's resignation

(18 Posts)
claig Wed 18-Nov-15 12:04:56

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/12002379/Jeremy-Corbyn-ally-Ken-Livingstone-to-lead-Labours-Trident-review.html

Laura Kuenssberg saying there is a fight for the soul of the Labour Party.

Let's hope Ken wins and puts the Red Tories to bed.

claig Wed 18-Nov-15 12:57:36

Pressure mounts on real Labour as progressive James O'Brien on LBC asks Ken to "just say sorry to the man" and as the BBC interviews usual suspect, Fabian John Woodcock, who is never off our TV screens and seems to be a BBC go-to interviewee on the subject of Corbyn, and is probably being built up as the Blairite Red Tory contender of choice.

Woodcock bandies around words like "inappropriate", "bravery" etc as politically correct as it gets.
Will Ken cave in and will New Labour beat Old Labour?

claig Wed 18-Nov-15 13:29:37

Ken has wobbled, he was on the BBC saying "if he is upset then I'm sorry".

But is that good enough for the BBC and the Red Tories? They've got old Labour on the run and Blairites are chinking their glasses and laughing.

claig Wed 18-Nov-15 14:31:02

Now Ken has upped his apology. Corbyn probably intervened.

"I unreservedly apologise"

Sky saying this may not be the end of the matter.

New Labour has real Labour on the run and political correctness will bring old Labour down in the end.

SilverOldie2 Wed 18-Nov-15 14:36:07

There's nothing like having a discussion with yourself is there? You do it a lot on here and I wondered if you did the same at home? Must be fascinating.

PurpleDaisies Wed 18-Nov-15 14:43:36

You haven't engaged at all with the substance of the matter. Do you think it is appropriate to tell someone with a history of clinical depression that they should "seek psychiatric help" simply because then disagree with you?

claig Wed 18-Nov-15 14:56:06

' Do you think it is appropriate to tell someone with a history of clinical depression that they should "seek psychiatric help" '

He didn't know he had that history, but in my opinion even if he did, it is not a cardinal sin and resignation matter. I believe in free speech and don't want politicians to be removed from office because they say something insensitive. There are more important issues that will never be discussed if people are removed from office for saying the wrong thing.

claig Wed 18-Nov-15 14:58:52

He has now apologised "unreservedly" for his sin. Let's see if his Red Tory opponents will let it lie or if they will force him out of office over this minor issue which will stop him on a more important issue.

LassWiTheWeelStockitFarm Wed 18-Nov-15 23:17:47

Are you serious OP? Livingstone's comments were totally out of order. They were compounded by the fact Kevan Jones had suffered from depression but even if he hadn't the comments were vile.

And as for Corbyn- yet another snub to Angela Eagle. She is Shadow Defence Minister and she found out about this on social media. And Corbynites criticise Cameron for having an old boys' mentality.

Today has shown Corbyn is a clueless, arrogant sexist and Livingstone is rude and ignorant.

LassWiTheWeelStockitFarm Wed 18-Nov-15 23:18:57

Do you think it is appropriate to tell someone with a history of clinical depression that they should "seek psychiatric help" simply because then disagree with you?

It is not appropriate to say it to anyone.

claig Thu 19-Nov-15 06:53:25

I think this has been overblown and this type of language control will in the future be used to silence people and sack them and will probably be made illegal. It was insensitive but that is at far as it went.

I think the MP who was on TV last night is overdoing it and now they want Ken to apologise to all people with mental health problems.

I think it is being used as a stick to beat Ken with because he disagrees with them over Trident and they would like him to stand down.

Unfortunately we don't have a Donald Trump in this country, but can you imagine if Red Tories tried this tactic on Doanld?

claig Thu 19-Nov-15 06:57:15

I am glad Corbyn has given Ken a role because Corbyn himself is very weak and will cave in to the Red Tory tactics, but Ken won't. As Ken said, he was brought up in South London streets. He will take the Red Tories on and he won't be fooled by their tricks.

meditrina Thu 19-Nov-15 07:35:44

Livingstone has always said crass things, and usually never apologises. Remember when he told a Jewish journalist that he was behaving like a Nazi?

That he has apologised this time might mean he's finally mellowing a bit.

Or it's a sign of allegiance to Corbyn.

claig Thu 19-Nov-15 07:40:01

'That he has apologised this time might mean he's finally mellowing a bit.
'
He was told to by Corbyn, because of Corbyn's "kind" politics. They gave Ken no quarter on TV last night. He had to apologise, but Ken is a fighter, he's not Corbyn, he will be back.

samG76 Thu 19-Nov-15 10:06:34

Remember also that Ken managed to lose a solidly Labour supporting city (as the general election showed), not least through his divide and rule strategy - he's not exactly going to be an electoral asset...

KathyBeale Sat 21-Nov-15 08:02:54

I have mixed feelings about Ken but I will stand up for him re the nazi thing. He argued with an Evening Standard journalist (It was when the ES was part of the Mail group) and when the reporter said he was only doing his job (as in working for a horrible newspaper) Ken said that was what the concentration camp guards said. If you listen to the tape the sheer glee when the reporter says: "actually I'm Jewish and that's really offended me" is sickening.

Don't know about Corbyn etc though. And the mental health stuff is definitely not good.

chantico Sat 21-Nov-15 08:21:15

Being a reporter and being a concentration camp guard aren't remotely similar. Ken should have apologised immediately for going OTT and the victim should not be blamed for his tone of voice.

TwistedReach Sat 21-Nov-15 08:22:46

I am very left wing. Certainly old labour. Stigma about metal health problems is a serious and deadly problem. Suicide is the biggest killer of men under 50 in this country- bigger than cancer for example. This is likely linked to the idea that men need to be 'real men' and , 'getting psychiatric help' etc is still seen to be shameful, hence it falls out of peoples mouths so easily as an insult.
I am really disappointed that Ken said this and that his apology has been laughable.
I want a traditional labour government because i see it as supporting equality and holding empathy based policies for our most vulnerable at its heart.
Ken Livingstone's comments were not in line with this and were damaging.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now