Talk

Advanced search

Labour Party councillor

(16 Posts)
HammerToFall Wed 05-Aug-15 14:20:42

I have just filled in my application form for panel of candidates 2016. I was asked a couple of weeks ago if I would consider applying and I feel the time is right for me to now do so.

Has anyone got any experience of selection panel and the type of questions they are likely to ask?

cdtaylornats Wed 05-Aug-15 16:40:46

I think they might need a counsellor more.

Good luck though.

HammerToFall Wed 05-Aug-15 16:56:08

I think if you check your facts you will find a councillor for a political party is spelt councillor and not counsellor.

HammerToFall Wed 05-Aug-15 16:58:35

Actually this has really annoyed me cd. If you are going to pull people on the correct spelling of words for God sake at least make sure you're right first confused

12purpleapples Wed 05-Aug-15 16:59:13

Wasn't it joke?

12purpleapples Wed 05-Aug-15 16:59:40

Sorry, I'll try again - Wasn't it a joke?

HammerToFall Wed 05-Aug-15 17:11:30

Ah I see what you mean now purple apples. The comment could have been taken either way. I assumed it was a spelling correction but yes I see now! Unfortunately I didn't start the thread for a political
Party debate just advice on the selection process. Guess the summer holiday stress is making me more tetchy than normal!

squidzin Wed 05-Aug-15 17:53:50

It looks like intensive psychoanalysis would benefit you more than counselling.

HammerToFall Wed 05-Aug-15 18:00:08

I'm not sure what you're getting at squid. I never said I was having or giving counselling?

squidzin Wed 05-Aug-15 18:02:45

British humour is always relevant !

thehumanjam Wed 05-Aug-15 18:07:05

Why must everyone joke all the time? It's very confusing.

No idea what type of questions they might ask but good luck with it.

Sometimes I don't get British humour and I'm British confused

HammerToFall Wed 05-Aug-15 18:19:07

I don't think it is particularly humorous to suggest that someone may benefit from intensive psychoanalysis but hey ho ive had a crappy day.

I was asking a serious question - I'll try on a different thread and see if I get a a more accurate response

BreakWindandFire Fri 07-Aug-15 20:27:37

One of the questions you should be asked is whether you've properly considered the time commitment. I don't know if you are planning to stand in a safe seat or hopeless one to make up the numbers. How much can you commit to campaigning?

If you plan to be elected, are you in an inner city constituency or a leafy suburban one, as the demands in the first will be greater than the latter (probably).

If your party is in the majority at the time and running the Council do you have any professional expertise (eg housing) that will end up with you being the relevant Cabinet member which is really interesting but involves devoting more time (again).

Good luck!

cdtaylornats Mon 10-Aug-15 14:59:56

Yes it was a joke about needing some help.

Isitmebut Mon 10-Aug-15 15:36:55

Just say EVERYTHING was fine pre 1979 without Thatcher and EVERYTHING was doomed after 2010 with Cameroon(?) - and you'll fit in just fine.

A good spread of old (post 1979) ideological slogans and inaccurate soundbites e.g. on the NHS, can even make you an MP, but not apparently the leader - that was recently tried.

gingercat12 Wed 12-Aug-15 21:47:50

Go to a few meetings in your branch and think about their preferences. Most of the members where I live are over 60-70, so whatever anyone's policies are the candidates always have to prioritise pensioner's interests and views. The last selection meeting I attended was overwhelmingly carried by the pensioner vote. But your branch may be different.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now