Advanced search

Well done George Osborne - stonking budget

(601 Posts)
claig Wed 08-Jul-15 13:37:23

Tax free Allowance rising to £11000
40% tax threshold rising to £43000
Corporation Tax falling to 19% and then 18%
National Living Wage will reach £9 by 2020, will start at £7.20

If they carry on like this, Labour are finished and poor old UKIP and Farage won't stand a chance of getting a look in. But credit where credit is due - well done Osborne!

GinandJag Wed 08-Jul-15 13:40:57

Hear hear!

claracluck1978 Wed 08-Jul-15 13:42:02

Hear hear!

leccybill Wed 08-Jul-15 13:44:36

I'm no Tory fan but I think the cuts are in the right places this time.
I agree with almost every decision so far.
Not sure about the nom-doms, need to read more.

lubeybooby Wed 08-Jul-15 13:44:54

As a life long card carrying labour voter, I'm actually quite impressed. The austerity could have been delivered in a much harsher fashion and I'm glad it wasn't.

FragileBrittleStar Wed 08-Jul-15 13:45:08

It is truly dreadful and horrific . The whole ethos was of punishing welfare claimants and taking money from them to pay for everyone else.truly regressive and makes me feel ashamed to be British

Hadron21 Wed 08-Jul-15 13:45:18

Are you for real? Rich getting richer and poor getting poorer.

Swifey Wed 08-Jul-15 13:47:48

I think it's bloody brilliant! Well thought out, and very fair!

Binkleflip Wed 08-Jul-15 13:49:01

You will feel differently if you ever get ill or your employer folds!

5446 Wed 08-Jul-15 13:50:30

Completely agree, he nailed it.

IDS having the time of his life in the corner with his little jig grin

Treats Wed 08-Jul-15 13:50:35

But is the Living Wage the same as the National Minimum Wage? The Living Wage - as I understand it - is an aspirational level set by poverty campaigners which SOME employers observe when setting pay levels. The National Minimum Wage is the statutory amount and much lower.

It's not a big deal to increase an aspirational, non-statutory wage level is it?

Taja123 Wed 08-Jul-15 13:50:55

Awful awful but let's make sure the have nots learn to know their place. Yes cuts are needed but it seems to be that the mist vulnerable in society will bear the brunt of the cuts. This to maintain Tory supporters.
LHA frozen while rents continue to increase means more people will be pushed into substandard housing.

They sicken me

lubeybooby Wed 08-Jul-15 13:51:44

Well, we're stuck with a tory government like it or not, knew cuts were coming, and things could have been much worse.

Tiredemma Wed 08-Jul-15 13:53:09

Yes its great

Lets shit on low pay workers. The shits that clean my car, the shits that dish up my kids meals in the school.

lets shit on the disabled too.

Fucking marvellous.

hmm

TooExtraImmatureCheddar Wed 08-Jul-15 13:56:01

Whu cut corporation tax? I don't get why you would want to do this.

TooExtraImmatureCheddar Wed 08-Jul-15 13:56:20

Why, goddammit! blush

Baddz Wed 08-Jul-15 13:56:36

Can I ask a question?
Does that mean you only pay 40% tax on what you earn over £43000?
Also, why is stopping grants for the most underprivileged students had ceasing job for under 21s a good thing?
What about young vulnerable people who don't live with their families for very good reasons?

Taja123 Wed 08-Jul-15 13:57:39

I can't say all of it is bad but the burden seems to be carried by those least able to.
I guess I'll have to re look at if I will be able to leave Ab p if support is reduced ti prevent being able to live. I know I will get to a batter place eventually but not everyone can. Target the an users of the systems both welfare and tax, don't blanket denote all welfare recipients as feckless/work shy .

claig Wed 08-Jul-15 13:59:53

'Why cut corporation tax? I don't get why you would want to do this.'

Reward business, incentivise business. Encourages more effort and investment and increases business activitye.

sliceofsoup Wed 08-Jul-15 14:00:33

It's not a big deal to increase an aspirational, non-statutory wage level is it?

The National Living Wage he has introduced is compulsory and will apply to people over 25.

It is not aspirational, it is real, and is coming in in April. It will start at £7.20 and rise to £9 by 2020.

IDS did a little dance.

I greatly dislike the tories. But that budget surprised me.

Child benefit is untouched, tax credits are being cut, but we knew they would be. And the cut on support for 3rd and subsequent children will only affect children born after April 2017.

claig Wed 08-Jul-15 14:00:35

'Does that mean you only pay 40% tax on what you earn over £43000?'

Yes

NickiFury Wed 08-Jul-15 14:04:14

It wasn't as bad as it could have been.

HeadDreamer Wed 08-Jul-15 14:04:17

'Does that mean you only pay 40% tax on what you earn over £43000?'

It's always been. Otherwise you'll get a stair effect, where people earning £43001 takes home significantly less than those at £42999.

And it's not actually £43k. This is the amount after salary sacrifices like childcare vouchers and pensions. I earn more than that and am still a lower rate tax payer under the current rate.

sliceofsoup Wed 08-Jul-15 14:07:03

Also, why is stopping grants for the most underprivileged students had ceasing job for under 21s a good thing?

I am not sure either of those things are a good thing.

However, the grants are being converted into loans, so the support is still there, but it will be paid back with the other maintenance loan and tuition fee loan. Yes it is more debt, but as with the existing loans, repayment does not start until graduates are earning over £21k per year. I think he said he was increasing the maximum loan amount available too.

Cutting HB for under 21s is a dangerous move IMO. The young people claiming this are more than likely needing to because of very difficult circumstances at home. I can only see numbers of young homeless people rising.

MadisonMontgomery Wed 08-Jul-15 14:08:59

I think it's great. Well done George Osbourne! Still very glad I voted Tory.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now