Talk

Advanced search

Anti-austerity march, Saturday 20th June

(16 Posts)
Breadandwine Fri 19-Jun-15 00:01:57

www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/anti-austerity-march-weekend-when-how-5904704

There's a coach-load of us leaving Taunton at 7am. Anyone else going?

Breadandwine Fri 19-Jun-15 22:26:32

Just me, then… sad

Branleuse Fri 19-Jun-15 22:31:34

Me! Thankfully my coach isnt till 9.30 though smile

Breadandwine Sat 20-Jun-15 00:56:05

Excellent!

PausingFlatly Sat 20-Jun-15 00:59:28

Yep, I'm taking my raingear. OYBBK is warning us of thunderstorms over on another thread.

longfingernails Sat 20-Jun-15 10:17:03

We need more cuts, and faster. We need to cut the deficit, and start running surpluses to reduce our National Debt. The state should be remoulded as an enabler of opportuinity rather than a cloddy provider of services.

What exactly do you hope to achieve by protesting? Do you think the Tories are suddenly going to say, no, we were wrong - especially as key indicators like unemployment and growth are positive? It seems to me like just an excuse for a jolly with fellow Marxists, and London does not deserve to be inconvenienced just so some commies can have a knees up. It looks like it will rain though and the march will be a damp squib anyway.

ShellyBoobs Sat 20-Jun-15 19:18:48

Hope it pissed it down all day.

Justanotherlurker Sat 20-Jun-15 19:34:12

With the obviously exaggerated 250,000 attendees just shows that stat of 88% of people voted for one form of austerity or another, unless you voted green of course in which case your an aconitine fantasist.

And get this, there will be large majority who do believe we need to tighten the belts who have not been fooled by right wing media and even read the guardian shock

Justanotherlurker Sat 20-Jun-15 19:35:10

Economic fantasist

Damn phone,

PausingFlatly Sat 20-Jun-15 19:47:14

Thanks, but it held off beautifully, apart from a light early smattering. My raingear didn't make it out of the bag.

And met some really good people, including both cabbies, who were very supportive. One said how good it was there was a large turnout.

Justanotherlurker Sat 20-Jun-15 19:54:47

Ah, glad you had a nice day out, it was quite ironic seeing some protesters grabbing a nice frappacino in Costa and then seeing these walk past

pbs.twimg.com/media/CH8f29GWIAAI1_g.jpg:large

Ubik1 Sat 20-Jun-15 19:56:47

We need more cuts, and faster. We need to cut the deficit, and start running surpluses to reduce our National Debt. The state should be remoulded as an enabler of opportuinity rather than a cloddy provider of services.

Blimey you're on message aren't you

Tootyfilou Sun 21-Jun-15 10:35:13

The 250,000 was a police estimate,
As for protesting achieving nothing, what a laugh! Women would not have the vote if the duffragettes had not protested. What about the civil rights movement in the USA, aparthied in South Africa, all the working conditions we take for granted in this country.,, all have been achieved by prople protesting against the status quo.
This goverent had 37% of the vote .
Yet it wants to carry out £12 billion of cuts. Plunging the poor, disabled and vulnerable into ever more desperate lives.
Dismanteling our public sector and NHS. While the richest in society continue to increasr their wealth.

decisionsdecisions123 Sun 21-Jun-15 11:31:41

I see the government will go ahead with all the cuts and will cut tax credits and housing benefit it the budget next month. Still no details of what exactly they will do. Did this protest help in any way? Seems that those at the top just do what they want regardless.

pastmyduedate0208 Mon 22-Jun-15 12:58:33

This ain't over.

Breadandwine Mon 22-Jun-15 13:58:03

Wow! What a brilliant day we had!

I met some wonderful people - health workers, carers, educationalists…too many groups to list here.

So good to be with like-minded folks.

No, one march isn't going to change minds - but it's a marker for future protests. This is just the start.

Hope it pissed it down all day.

Nope, as Pausing Flatly said, we didn't need our raingear.

That comment tells us more about you than you realise, Shelleyboobs. Glad you're not my mum! [shudder]

London does not deserve to be inconvenienced just so some commies can have a knees up. It looks like it will rain though and the march will be a damp squib anyway.

Another one whose hopes were dashed! Sorry to tell you, longfingernails that the sun shone throughout the day - from all the faces surrounding us! smile

And are people not allowed to protest? I thought that was a marker of a democratic state (not that this is one, particularly!).

Justanotherlurker, those were just a tiny minority of the protesters. There are always going to be some extremist nutters around – as this thread proves! grin

And if it’s a dose of economics you want, check this out:

"At least half of Britons in poverty are in work: so much for making work pay. And so the state shells out perhaps £11bn a year on poverty pay, effectively subsidising major businesses. Instead of these vast state subsidies and the rampant state dependency, why not increase the minimum wage to one on which workers can live, saving the taxpayer billions of pounds and reducing spending on social security in a sustainable way?"

Hang on, Justanother… (substitute a more suitable description of your own choice, guys!) - you shouldn't have read that, it’s by Owen Jones in the Guardian!

Here’s the full article, but I bet you don’t read it. Wouldn’t want to open that closed mind, now would you? grin

Peace and love, folks, as Ringo would say! flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now