Talk

Advanced search

Lets hear from the 20 to 25 per cent who choose not to vote in the general election

(14 Posts)
fortyfide Tue 05-May-15 11:22:41

after all voting is a voluntary exercise, so the non-voters are entitled to have their say.

I always vote but not with any real excitement. The race for power is more interesting than any individuals stubby pencilled vote.

FructoseTart Tue 05-May-15 11:29:06

I've never voted. Simply because one way or another someone is going to be shafted up the backside.

fortyfide Tue 05-May-15 11:32:46

Fructose Point taken, I think many millions are going to feel shafted after Thurdays.vote.

Perhaps "first past the post" is a dying system.

SunnyBaudelaire Tue 05-May-15 11:37:36

if voting actually made any difference, it would have been banned years ago.

LetThereBeCupcakes Tue 05-May-15 11:39:18

I always vote, but as I'm in a safe constituency, it doesn't feel like it's worth it! But I will. One day it might make a difference.

DH won't vote because he CBA. hmm

MajesticWhine Tue 05-May-15 17:04:23

I will vote. But I increasingly despair at how little it matters. Apparently fewer than 100,000 voters will be the ones that really decide the election. So no wonder so many feel disenfranchised. We need a new system.

MrsPiddlewink Tue 05-May-15 17:08:04

I never have. It won't make any difference because of where I am. Tories here, I would back Green, but it would be a 'wasted' vote. Could vote Labour as I'd rather not a Torie govt again but that doesn't feel like a very good reason to vote!

thehumanjam Tue 05-May-15 17:12:16

I vote, dh doesn't. His argument against voting is that as we live in one of the safest Tory constituencies in the country there is little point. My mum lives in a marginal constituency and she doesn't vote because she feels that it makes little difference who she votes for. My mum is a pensioner and she says that life is exactly the same under the coalition as it was under Labour.

Grantaire Tue 05-May-15 17:17:56

I used to live in one of the safest Tory seats. It had been so for 70 years. With a bloody good candidate and a lot of hard work, we managed to get the incumbent out and a great MP in.

It CAN make a difference. It absolutely can. It starts with people not being apathetic, from voters to MPs. You have to have something to vote for though. I acknowledge that this fundamental factor is often missing.

I know I'm in a safe Tory seat. I'll still vote though.

vintagechinalady Tue 05-May-15 17:58:27

I won't vote as there's no party which adequately represents my views. My constituency has two realistic and rather close contenders for the seat and both of these have deplorable policies on two (separate) issues which are very important to me. I can't/won't vote for either of them and to vote for any alternative would be a waste of my time and energy.

GibberingFlapdoodle Wed 06-May-15 09:10:51

Mrs Piddlewink and vintagechinalady, (and anyone else) oh please do go out and use your 'wasted' votes! We all know how crap the political situation is but you aren't going to improve matters by not trying. No vote is entirely wasted, the bigger the mismatch between vote percentage and seat percentage gained the bigger the pressure for votingn reform. Plus although the vote percentage does not directly count it does inform our 'esteemed leaders' about the feelings and opinions of people about the current situation, and that will influence their actions. If we are ever to have any hope of change we need to tell them that we don't like the current situation! Saying nothing is too easily dismissed, as silence can mean anything. Without communication to the contrary the people at the top will assume they have the mandate they want to see. At least please please go and spoil the ballot paper, it won't really take up that much time will it?

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Wed 06-May-15 09:32:29

"Could vote Labour as I'd rather not a Torie govt again but that doesn't feel like a very good reason to vote!"

that's a superb reason to vote!

iseenodust Wed 06-May-15 09:44:31

I feel everyone should use their vote (surely you'd have something to say if it about to be taken away?). You may not get the MP you want but you are helping to get a more representative picture of what the population considers important. Being a pragmatist, I would say vote for the least worst candidate.

fortyfide Wed 06-May-15 11:27:39

I shall vote, as I always have, but feel a new system may be on the way.
Dont hold your breath

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now