Who to vote for in a safe seat constituency?

(22 Posts)
EvergreenLaurel Mon 13-Apr-15 12:26:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hiddenhome Mon 13-Apr-15 20:05:10

There's no easy answer and I'm in the same position. I'm still going to vote for the other guy - or woman in this case - to send a message that I don't agree with the safe seat Party.

NonDom Tue 14-Apr-15 06:52:02

If you are in a very safe seat, it doesn't matter who you, as an individual, vote for.

GoldfishSpy Tue 14-Apr-15 06:56:59

I have a similar question. I want to vote Labour. But where I live, Labour are miles behind in third place, and it's neck and neck between the Lib Dem candidate (who is currently in position and seems to do a good job) and the Conservative candidate.

I'm thinking I should vote Lib Dem just to keep the Tories out. Am I right?

Sirzy Tue 14-Apr-15 07:02:21

I am in a safe seat area. At the local elections they got over 60% of the votes and similar at the last government elections. As at the local election last year the next closest party was UKIP (28%) I will be taking the safe vote in order to try to stop them closing the gap!

FurFoxAke Tue 14-Apr-15 07:10:39

I'm in an extremely safe seat and I know my vote actually means nothing: it doesn't stop me, but it does stop others.

I've only ever lived in safe seats, two of them. I've always voted for the party I have felt had the best chance of beating the sitting MP. I wouldn't vote UKIP to achieve this though.

FearfullyAndWonderfullyMade Tue 14-Apr-15 07:22:46

If you are in a very safe seat, it doesn't matter who you, as an individual, vote for.

If everybody felt like that then nothing would ever change.
OP, I think you should vote Lib Dem to keep the Tories out if you feel that strongly against them.
I'm in an area that is usually considered to be safe seat, though the MP is retiring so that might change things. I am voting against her party to try and get them out. She was a very good MP and had been for years so I think her party got votes because she was good rather than because of their policies.

eatyouwithaspoon Tue 14-Apr-15 07:31:20

I am a labour supporter and live in a lib/tory area. I voted lib last general election for the 1st time ever to keep the torys out and then they teamed up with them so effectively voted Tory! angry I will never tactically vote again and although my vote wont make a difference in my area I will be voting for what I believe in.

OutsSelf Tue 14-Apr-15 07:36:36

Every vote matters. They are all counted, they all communicate your general politics, and how you feel about the economy, the last government, and what direction they should go.

It's not right to say votes only count if your chosen party wins. Say the Tories win but there are a lot of UKIP, fewer than normal Labour, hardly any Greens or SNP, that would mean the Tories could really push a more right wing agenda, knowing that the had the backing of the voters. But if they scraped past with a big Labour, Green and SNP vote, well they would have to temper the more stringently right wing stuff to (a) get it past parliament and (b) remain electable.

The mentality of tactical voting and safe seats really only serves the status quo. Voting should always, always be with your conscience, i.e. who you vote for should always most properly fit your political convictions.

i agree with that up to a point, which is why my conscience wouldn't let me vote UKIP just to beat the Tories, however having never voted for a winning candidate in 30 years i do feel my vote is a bit futile. I have always wavered between labour and Lib Dems, in my current constituency I have always voted Lib Dem as Labour barely even keep their deposit here, but I feel sold out by the Lib Dems following the coalition so may well vote Labour anyway.

VivaLeBeaver Tue 14-Apr-15 07:55:34

I think I might haven to vote Tory to keep UKIP out here. Which ain't good. Obv keeping ukip out is good.....but voting for Tory isn't.

Toooldtobearsed Tue 14-Apr-15 08:08:48

This is what is wrong with the current system of voting.

I will vote, I always do, but my vote means nothing. I live in a labour stronghold constituency. Now, I am not saying that I would not vote Labour, but it mightily pisses me off that I effectively, cannot influence who ultimately comes into office in May.

And yes, I know every vote is counted, but at the end of the day, the only real information any of us takes away is who won the election.

There should be two functions to voting in a general election. One to elect your local member, but then all votes should be lobbed into a pot to decide the ultimate winner.

I know that would not work..... but it would make a lot more people get off their bums and vote if they thought they could actually influence the final result.

FurFoxAke Tue 14-Apr-15 09:42:55

Oh yes, that's a thing here. Voting Tory to keep out ukip...

Pico2 Tue 14-Apr-15 09:58:39

I live in a safe Tory seat. I will be voting for Labour. I'll be doing this because as well as counting the number of MPs elected for each party, someone will add up the votes nationally. It is quite possible for the Tories to get more seats than Labour, but for Labour to get more votes nationally. When deciding who should form a coalition government, there may be some pressure to allow the winner of the national vote to do so.

The disparity between the votes cast nationally and the number of MPs elected for each party may be more obvious this time with the rise of UKIP. And there may be renewed calls for a more representative voting system. I'm struggling with my conscience on that as theoretically it would be right to move to some sort of proportional representation, but I am disgusted that UKIP is so popular.

Thurlow Tue 14-Apr-15 10:10:54

Similar situation here, very safe Tory seat. I'm normally a Lib Dem voter by choice, though need to see the manifestos before I decide properly.

I'd vote tactically if needed - I'd vote Tory to keep out UKIP.

I toyed with the thought that my vote feels like it 'wouldn't count', but I think it is important to 1) stick with your opinion and exercise your choice, and 2) to let the party know that the support is there.

If you vote for the safe incumbent, or don't vote at all, then in some ways you're making the seat seem even safer. Other parties won't know that the support is there, and might not focus on trying to win that seat in another election.

But at the end of the day I reckon you just need to be honest and vote who you want to.

mummytime Tue 14-Apr-15 10:21:27

Is he really going to win anyway? How many are standing against? Are there any local issues? (My previously Tory safe seat went Lib Dem on a local issue, its now a marginal).
Go to a hustings and listen to local debate.

But it does depend on how many candidates you have - we always have at least 4 (3 main parties and the peace party).

FurFoxAke Tue 14-Apr-15 11:03:02

That's my argument for voting despite the extremely safe seat, how can it change if you don't vote otherwise? Give it a couple of elections and then you'd see results I reckon. But they can't be bothered and use that as an excuse.
I have only seen Tory, ukip, green and an independant candidate leaflets. When i first moved here I didn't even know there was a labour/lib dem candidate until I went to vote and then saw the names on the ballot. Wtf?

I'm telling myself and anyone who wants to hear it, that this could be the election to make the seat less safe what with a lot of Tory voters possibly going ukip. So, in theory maybe other parties could get up there too IF MORE PEOPLE VOTED.

(Is that right? It feels like it should be)

Bookaboo Tue 28-Apr-15 13:24:41

I live in what has always been a very safe Labour seat. At the 2010 election, Labour received 50% of the votes with the remainder going mostly to the Lib Dems, 15% to Conservatives and the rest split between the others. The Lib Dems out campaigning are telling people, as they always have, that a vote for the Conservatives is wasted here, because it just means that there is more chance of Labour holding onto their seat. I am inclined to agree with them, although it implies that there is no chance of the majority Labour voters ever changing their mind about who they vote for.

So, should I ignore the statistics and vote for the party I actually want to vote for, or should I put in a tactical vote for the Lib Dems to try and oust Labour? I actually do quite like the Lib Dems and they do a lot of work for our local area. I have voted for them before at local elections, but they wouldn’t necessarily be my choice at a General Election.

If you want to see the stats for your local area, check out: www.voterpower.org.uk

CMOTDibbler Tue 28-Apr-15 13:35:25

I'm in a safe tory seat (2010 was 50% tory, 38% LD, 7% lab, 4% UKIP), and I was thinking about whether I should vote Tory just to make sure UKIP don't get in, but I think I'll stick with LD as UKIP are most likely to take from the tories and in this area I don't think UKIP are that popular.

GiddyOnZackHunt Tue 28-Apr-15 13:35:46

If you live in a constituency where there are two likely contenders and you have a preference for one candidate over the other then vote accordingly as it might influence your local result.
If you live in a safe seat where you stand no chance of unseating the candidate then vote according to your feelings.
No point giving a tactical vote to a party you don't like if it isn't useful.

misfitt Sun 03-Apr-16 15:40:58

Where I live has been a safe Conservative seat since the 1920's and unlikely to change in my lifetime as the chap polled over 50% of the vote.

I know my vote is worthless but I cast it anyway and this time it was Lib Dem. I do not always vote for the same party though I have never voted Labour. I just could not stand Blair and Brown. Blair was been the worst PM post war which is why Cameron sailed in again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now