Talk

Advanced search

Europe - Who is making the case for rather than against?

(5 Posts)
CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 02-Oct-11 16:26:11

With the Eurozone problems at the moment, there seems to be a return (or strengthening) of Euroscepticism and a collective sigh of relief that the UK never went with the Euro. Even as an instinctive 'Europhile' it's a struggle to point to the benefits of EU membership when the whole conversation seems to be dominated by a sceptical press. Even the Lib Dems have gone a little quiet. Is there anyone making a strong case pro-Europe?

scaryteacher Mon 03-Oct-11 15:31:56

Not as far as I can see thank goodness, although if you pop over to Brussels, you'll hear them all spouting about larger unions of states working better than smaller ones (this from a Yank), and totally ignoring the cultural differences and the fact that it took a civil war to get the US into shape.

claig Mon 03-Oct-11 16:17:17

'it took a civil war to get the US into shape'

yes, but the EU social planners know that it doesn't require a civil war in Europe, just a financial catastrophe to force through a stronger union.

scaryteacher Mon 03-Oct-11 17:42:11

There isn't any appetite for a stronger union though. Belgium hasn't had a govt in ages because the Flemish and the French speakers can't agree, and you see these divisions springing up. Kosovo isn't looking good again....how can there be closer/stronger union?

I would like the EU to go back to a loose federation of trading states, but it won't work other than that, and I can't see the Euro lasting much longer. Remember that those like Barrosso and van Rompuy and Ashton get mega allowances and perks from working at the EU, so have a vested financial interest in it working. The same goes for Clegg, Mandelson and the Kinnocks...their pensions continuing are contingent upon their support for the EU.

claig Mon 03-Oct-11 17:55:53

Yes, the people of Europe don't really want a greater union, but the politicians and big business do. It will be interesting to see what happens. Will they achieve a tighter fiscal union or will it break apart?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now