Talk

Advanced search

Occupying Wall Street?

(120 Posts)

I've just come across this occupation of Wall Street(]]http://www.thetruthdenied.com/news/2011/09/29/the-declaration-of-the-occupation-of-new-york-city/ link]]) but I really don't understand how it all started and what results it's meant to yield.

Can someone dumb it down for me? I'd like to understand it but as it appears to be already way under way, I've become kind of lost. It does all appear to be rather idealistic and hopeful (which is no bad thing!) and movements and rallies like this always seem to get beaten back down again by the state.

I'd like to know what, if anything, makes this one different to others.

Link even

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 01-Oct-11 07:54:03

I think your assessment is about right. However, rather than 'beaten back by the state' these things usually fizzle out through lack of interest. There is an MN-er who is involved. I'm sure they'll be along banging the drum soon. smile

Thank you Cogito grin

glasnost Sat 01-Oct-11 17:55:19

Jeez you lot are pathetic! Working straight out of Millbank!

It's coming to a city near you soon, schlongs.
www.occupymanchester.org/

glasnost Sat 01-Oct-11 17:55:40

And Cogito you are the enemy of humanity.

toddlerama Sat 01-Oct-11 17:56:21

Aren't you charming hmm

glasnost Sat 01-Oct-11 18:05:56

Aren't you lacking in irony?

www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financialcrisis/8794169/Protesters-plan-to-occupy-London-Stock-Exchange.html

Beaten back by the state? Is that supposed to scare us? You're the ones running scared. And gov propagandists trolling on MN is so transparent.

ttosca Sat 01-Oct-11 20:10:03

You can be damn sure that the state absolutely will do its best to stifle, discourage, or beat down protests (including this one):

NYC Cops beating up and pepper spraying peaceful, non-violent individuals:

www.guardian.co.uk/world/blog/2011/sep/28/occupy-wall-street-anthony-bologna

ttosca Sat 01-Oct-11 20:12:28

"Something Has Started": Michael Moore on the Occupy Wall St. Protests That Could Spark a Movement

See Michael Moore interview here:

https://www.democracynow.org/2011/9/28/something_has_started_michael_moore_on

Hey, calm down a second, Glasnost. I'm not trying to scare anyone, least of all myself.

All I said is that I don't know anything about it and asked if someone could enlighten me because it looked interesting hmm

Thank you both for the links though smile

<goes to read>

I also have to ask, when did I become a government propagandist? I would've liked to have been told. The bastards must owe me a fortune in back pay grin

ttosca Sat 01-Oct-11 23:22:33

There is lots of stuff happening in NYC right now.

The OccupyWallSt protesters have occupied the Brooklyn Bridge. There have been hundreds of arrests, including many women, a 13 year old girl, and several journalists.

Protesters are now marching through Manhattan chanting: "All day! All week! Occupy Wall Street!"

Twitter search:

https://twitter.com/#!/search?q=%23OccupyWallStreet

ttosca Sun 02-Oct-11 00:33:03

First ‘official’ statement from the #OccupyWallStreet movement

This was unanimously voted on by all members of Occupy Wall Street last night, around 8pm, Sept 29. It is our first official document for release. We have three more underway, that will likely be released in the upcoming days: 1) A declaration of demands. 2) Principles of Solidarity 3) Documentation on how to form your own Direct Democracy Occupation Group. This is a living document. you can receive an official press copy of the latest version by emailing c2anycga@gmail.com.

Declaration of the Occupation of New York City

As we gather together in solidarity to express a feeling of mass injustice, we must not lose sight of what brought us together. We write so that all people who feel wronged by the corporate forces of the world can know that we are your allies.

As one people, united, we acknowledge the reality: that the future of the human race requires the cooperation of its members; that our system must protect our rights, and upon corruption of that system, it is up to the individuals to protect their own rights, and those of their neighbors; that a democratic government derives its just power from the people, but corporations do not seek consent to extract wealth from the people and the Earth; and that no true democracy is attainable when the process is determined by economic power. We come to you at a time when corporations, which place profit over people, self-interest over justice, and oppression over equality, run our governments. We have peaceably assembled here, as is our right, to let these facts be known.

They have taken our houses through an illegal foreclosure process, despite not having the original mortgage.

They have taken bailouts from taxpayers with impunity, and continue to give Executives exorbitant bonuses.

They have perpetuated inequality and discrimination in the workplace based on age, the color of one’s skin, sex, gender identity and sexual orientation.

They have poisoned the food supply through negligence, and undermined the farming system through monopolization.

They have profited off of the torture, confinement, and cruel treatment of countless nonhuman animals, and actively hide these practices.

They have continuously sought to strip employees of the right to negotiate for better pay and safer working conditions.

They have held students hostage with tens of thousands of dollars of debt on education, which is itself a human right.

They have consistently outsourced labor and used that outsourcing as leverage to cut workers’ healthcare and pay.

They have influenced the courts to achieve the same rights as people, with none of the culpability or responsibility.

They have spent millions of dollars on legal teams that look for ways to get them out of contracts in regards to health insurance.

They have sold our privacy as a commodity.

They have used the military and police force to prevent freedom of the press.

They have deliberately declined to recall faulty products endangering lives in pursuit of profit.

They determine economic policy, despite the catastrophic failures their policies have produced and continue to produce.

They have donated large sums of money to politicians supposed to be regulating them.

They continue to block alternate forms of energy to keep us dependent on oil.

They continue to block generic forms of medicine that could save people’s lives in order to protect investments that have already turned a substantive profit.

They have purposely covered up oil spills, accidents, faulty bookkeeping, and inactive ingredients in pursuit of profit.

They purposefully keep people misinformed and fearful through their control of the media.

They have accepted private contracts to murder prisoners even when presented with serious doubts about their guilt.

They have perpetuated colonialism at home and abroad.

They have participated in the torture and murder of innocent civilians overseas.

They continue to create weapons of mass destruction in order to receive government contracts.*

To the people of the world,

We, the New York City General Assembly occupying Wall Street in Liberty Square, urge you to assert your power.

Exercise your right to peaceably assemble; occupy public space; create a process to address the problems we face, and generate solutions accessible to everyone.

To all communities that take action and form groups in the spirit of direct democracy, we offer support, documentation, and all of the resources at our disposal.

Join us and make your voices heard!

*These grievances are not all-inclusive.

anoncentral.tumblr.com/post/10909003533/first-official-statement-from-the-occupywallstreet

I actually quite like that declaration, it makes a lot of sense and the grievances are definitely ones I can agree with.

glasnost Sun 02-Oct-11 09:03:33

Better late than never, ttosca. The occupation's been going on since Sep 17th.

Sephrenia apologies for accusing you of being a Millbank troll but there ARE on here. Welcome to the cause now you can join the 15 Oct occupation of the London Stock Exchange!

And ttosca I was there when they peppersprayed and it was scary but didn't and will not deter the protesters. In a way highlighting the police brutality can be counterproductive as scares the sheeple into joining.

glasnost Sun 02-Oct-11 09:07:01

And as posted previously if any of you live in Manchester the occupation mode's starting there TODAY in concomitance with the start of the Tory conference.

www.occupymanchester.org/

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 02-Oct-11 09:19:29

'Enemy of humanity'... hmm LOL!

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 02-Oct-11 09:22:27

"They have poisoned the food supply "

You can't take this ridiculous shite seriously, surely???

jackstarb Sun 02-Oct-11 12:14:57

Well it's a bit of a 'pick and mix' list - something for everyone. Most people would agree with some of those grievances, others not so much. Shades of the 'tea party' movement even.

I'm a cynic - having seen a couple of recessions in our 'boom & bust cycle. When things go wrong people look for someone to blame. They get upset and blameless themselves, of course - argue for a better world.

Then the economy picks up and they get [better] jobs, pay rises, increase their debt to buy nice stuff and [conveniently] forget all about the 'evil nature' of their employers, government and providers of their materialistic lifestyle.

Of course I could be wrong this time.......

aliceliddell Sun 02-Oct-11 14:37:57

jack your argument only works if there's another boom. But I think you know that?
Cogito I don't think they mean 'poison' like 'add cyanide', but like 'contaminate by bad practice'.

The whole thing seems a bit light on method ('programme' as the old folk used to call it), but I'm told that's considered very old fashioned these days. Sadly, capitalism (OMG, the C word) is still very much on trend this season.

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 02-Oct-11 15:17:11

Aliceliddell... if the manifesto is saying that the food supply is poisoned I think that's a pretty unequivocal accusation. General grievances coupled with popular US conspiracy theories and I think jack is right about the Tea Party element. Btw that part about inequality in the workplace really couldn't be written by a European.

ttosca Sun 02-Oct-11 15:34:14

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

ttosca Sun 02-Oct-11 15:35:25

Of course 'poisoned food supply' refers to things like pesticides, and food additives.

ttosca Sun 02-Oct-11 15:40:58

jack-

Well it's a bit of a 'pick and mix' list - something for everyone. Most people would agree with some of those grievances, others not so much. Shades of the 'tea party' movement even.

It's not 'pick and mix' because they all have a common cause: corporate greed and the subversion of democracy by big business.

I'm a cynic - having seen a couple of recessions in our 'boom & bust cycle. When things go wrong people look for someone to blame. They get upset and blameless themselves, of course - argue for a better world.

They mostly are blameless. The public didn't cause the financial crisis.

Then the economy picks up and they get [better] jobs, pay rises, increase their debt to buy nice stuff and [conveniently] forget all about the 'evil nature' of their employers, government and providers of their materialistic lifestyle.

I don't think this is going to go away. The foundation of these protests has been growing since the late 1990s with the anti-globalisation process. The economy may (or may not) pick up in several years time, but the problems will remain or actually be worse: enormous wealth inequality, stagnant wages (stagnant for over two decades now), increasing cost of living, increasing cost of healthcare and other public services like transport, political policies being determined by corporate lobbying, environmental disaster, poverty, etc, etc.

I'm afraid that from here on in, there will be no 'return to the good times'. The political and economic system is broken. Either we fix it, or we drift towards barbarism.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now