Talk

Advanced search

The Women's Party

(13 Posts)
Amodmillymum Mon 29-Aug-11 16:10:57

Anyone fancy setting up a Women's Party?

I am too busy but I would vote for it.

Apparently, it's a waste of time because 50% of the population is not a majority worth targeting and we should instead work with the male muppets that are the Tories/Labour/Lib Dem

If women ruled the world.....

sigh the power of the collective - we could call it the female revolution...

Paul88 Mon 29-Aug-11 21:20:09

I would probably vote for it but have a feeling it should be someone else that sets it up...

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 30-Aug-11 08:34:23

Sorry, no. Always annoys me when things are pigeon-holed as 'women's issues' as if we only have a few narrow fields of concern or are one homogenous lump with identical priorities and politics. Think society works best when we cooperate across gender and any other artificial segregation lines, come to that.

Amodmillymum Tue 30-Aug-11 19:08:06

doomed to be ruled by men forever

'Think society works best when we cooperate across gender and any other artificial segregation lines, come to that.'

Yes - that's really working for us right now isn't it.

BonnieLassie Wed 31-Aug-11 01:35:51

What makes you think women would be any better at running the world than men? Women are just as greedy and amoral as men, and those in politics are no better than their male counterparts.

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 31-Aug-11 08:24:25

If it's not working, chances are that - as you said earlier - we're 'too busy' or not bothered enough to get involved. Content to whine on the sidelines about the unfairness of it all rather than engage in a constructive way and tackle the system head-on. Doesn't just apply to women, of course. But, in the same way as I don't see a future for a 'black party' or a 'christian party', I think a 'women's party' would be dismissed as a minority pressure-group... not least by women themselves.

magicmummy1 Wed 31-Aug-11 08:27:47

No. I vote for the party that I think will have the most positive impact on the whole of our society, not just one section of it. Yes, there will always be winners and losers, but I wouldn't want to rule out 50% of the population from the outset. hmm

Amodmillymum Wed 31-Aug-11 22:51:22

It would have to be a viable party so not just simply focused on woman issues but perhaps prioritise them more significantly then the current male majority parties.

Women run most things now which is why we would be better - we are better organised! We do all the work - men have all the authority.

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 01-Sep-11 07:24:32

What needs to change, if women are to find their voice, is not the creation of a new party, but something far earlier in the process i.e. to give girls the confidence in their own abilities and a far greater sense of ambition than is currently generated by the prevailing 'be thin, fix the boobs and marry a footballer' culture. Girls brought up in more can-do environments would not be held back, handicapped by self-effacement & pandering after a partner. The biggest surprise, using MN messages as a straw-poll, is how many choose to live like that.

colditz Thu 01-Sep-11 07:46:10

"I am too busy but I would vote for it"

And that is why it won't get started. We are all too damn busy with the donkey work.

colditz Thu 01-Sep-11 07:47:39

I disagree that women are just as greedy and amoral as men. Look at the statistics for family abandonment. It is theoretically just as easy for a mother to ditch their family as it is for a father. And yet, generally, they don't.

margerykemp Thu 01-Sep-11 08:01:21

I think it would work well in the Scottish Parliament. With fptp in Westminster it would be next to impossible to actually get any representatives.

ChickenLickn Sat 03-Sep-11 19:35:17

The first thing is to create a space so that we have the time to do it.

I.e. stop doing the donkey work. Equal sharing of work in all situations. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now