Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

GRANT SCHAPPS on radio 4

(11 Posts)
Tortington Sun 28-Aug-11 01:45:29

Speaking to Money Box on Radio 4, the Minister said:

"Our criticism of the current system is that it doesn't matter one jot to the local authority whether a resident is working or not.

"We want to take people out of being trapped out of work and get them into work and off benefit…That's how I see the 10% being saved."

here

schapps is a twonk of the highest order weasel

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 28-Aug-11 14:04:46

Haven't heard the entire interview but I agree that the jobless total hasn't mattered to local authorities up to now. I'd go further by saying that the real scandal of the previous government was that its policies kept too many trapped in low wages and unemployment through measures, like tax credits, that were meant to help. Once in that particular hamster wheel where a job would result in a reduction in income, those people have not mattered. In the boom years when there should have been much lower unemployment and much better wages - it was a case of out of sight, out of mind.

Tortington Sun 28-Aug-11 21:47:25

or, we could talk about grant schapps and this govt hmm

SalmeMurrikAgain Sun 28-Aug-11 22:28:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tortington Sun 28-Aug-11 22:35:13

schapps is indeed a tosser of the highest order

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 29-Aug-11 09:24:30

Oh sorry.... as usual, made the mistake of thinking you wanted a conversation when you just wanted people to add messages agreeing.... Same old, same old.

jackstarb Mon 29-Aug-11 11:54:30

Cognito smile The Munsnet politics forum stopped being a place for serious political conversations a long time ago....

<sigh> I learnt so much back in the day.

Now I waste spend my time on Twitter.

jackstarb Mon 29-Aug-11 11:56:26

Mumsnet blush.

SalmeMurrikAgain Mon 29-Aug-11 22:51:42

Ok. I have to do budgets with people in financial difficulties as part of my job, and many of my clients are in receipt of JSA. So, if anyone can explain to me how a single able-bodied over-25-year-old currently on £292.50 per month can cover food, gas, electricity, water, TV licence, clothing, travel costs, and now perhaps council tax as well, I will be very impressed and grateful.

Anyone...?

Ah well, never mind, perhaps I am just failing to see how the Tories will get away with blaming this on local authorities/the previous govt/anyone else will do, really this will work.

As you were.

jackstarb Mon 29-Aug-11 23:34:42

And yet - Read this

"Over the [last] 12-month period.... 90.1 per cent of the extra employment amongst the working-age population can be accounted for by an increase in foreign nationals working in the UK."

Getting a job doesn't pay for our own workless. Who is to blame for that?

<I'm actually not sure>

OpinionatedMum Wed 31-Aug-11 08:17:55

shock

They are on £65 per week. It's not enough already to cover food electric etc. How on earth are they to afford transport to a job interview? They need the bare minimum, if you take that away you actually make benefits MORE of a trap.

FGS get people back to work but do it in a constructive and humane way. This is counter-productive and cruel.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now