Talk

Advanced search

"IT'S PC GONE MAD" Here's an article that they will love

(6 Posts)
Tortington Wed 17-Aug-11 18:48:00

www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2011/aug/17/academics-reject-gove-history-lessons

claig Wed 17-Aug-11 19:53:55

Who will love the academics rejection of Gove's plan for more emphasis on Britain's impact on teh history of the world? Do you mean the Labour party? Do they love it when PC' has gorn mad?

claig Wed 17-Aug-11 19:54:38

academics'

Tortington Thu 18-Aug-11 11:47:10

close to propaganda imo.

have you evidence that the labout party spouts boarderline racist rhetoric?

NotJustKangaskhan Thu 18-Aug-11 12:29:18

From that article (since I've not seen the proposed content), I can see the reason for the discomfort.

I do think that history education can be improved, both British history and World History, and I agree with the people in the article about narrative history as a preferred method. There is a lot of history that is missed which is a pity as it colours people's view of the world and themselves. But the idea of portraying any country as 'a beacon of liberty' sounds like a whitewashing to me, both the positives and the negatives need to be talked about. It also sounds like he's trying to take another American idea and put it on the UK (I grew up in the States and had the misfortune of the US history textbooks which are mostly written from the 'US as beacon of liberty' perspective).

claig Thu 18-Aug-11 13:03:15

I agree it does sound a bit like propaganda, but I wonder if that is because some of Gove's statements may have been taken out of context.

Gove seems like a very decent MP and as far removed from party politicking or propagandising a la progressives as is humanly possible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now