Talk

Advanced search

Cameron and the 'feckless' Poor V's Cameron and the unemployed in the UK rose by 38,000 to 2.49 million in the three months

(31 Posts)
Tortington Wed 17-Aug-11 17:36:37

you feckless fuckers

shock and surprise

ttosca Wed 17-Aug-11 17:38:01

Filthy Tory scum.

Tortington Wed 17-Aug-11 17:55:24

concise and apt as ever

lachesis Wed 17-Aug-11 18:04:40

Yes, every single one of those people just needs to get on their back, the lazy scroungers.

lachesis Wed 17-Aug-11 18:05:24

bike

Tortington Wed 17-Aug-11 19:06:14

or back - i mean its a valid choice grin

awaits feminists

Iggly Wed 17-Aug-11 19:07:17

What or who exactly are these feckless poor? Do you define by income??

I suspect they've been watching too many episodes of shameless.

lachesis Wed 17-Aug-11 19:11:34

Oh, you forgot, custy, being unemployed is a lifestyle choice, of course wink.

southeastastra Wed 17-Aug-11 19:12:54

there will be 2 more when dp and i join the in late autumn

Tortington Wed 17-Aug-11 19:27:32

christ SEA sad redundancy?

southeastastra Wed 17-Aug-11 19:31:41

yes both of us at the same time too, it's scary sad

schroeder Wed 17-Aug-11 20:28:47

It beggars belief that people are surprised that unemployment is increasing! shock

Anyone could have seen it and it's about to get worse I think.

Where I work a whole department is being scrapped all those people will be redundant in September. Most of the job cuts in the council haven't even started yet. My job will no longer exist in April and I will be fighting my friends and colleagues for someone else's job. sad

Were dh works also a whole dept. (in the private sector) scrapped and he only hung on to his job by the skin of his teeth.

I for one am not buying things I don't actually need right now, no holiday this year. I don't think I'm unusual either; I can only anticipate things getting worse for us financially.

How can anyone be surprised that less jobs are being created in that atmosphere?

CustardCake Wed 17-Aug-11 22:32:32

schroeder - the figures actually show MORE jobs have been created BUT also that more people are claiming unemployment benefits. The figures in fact show a rise in BOTH the number of people employed and the number of people claiming out of work benefits which is a bit paradoxical but that's what it shows.

The apparent contradictions come from students dropping out of college to look for work instead, people taking / dropping part time work when they really want fulltime and women being moved onto job seeker benefits fro other types of benefits.

The latest ONS figures show that between December 2010 and March 2011 an extra 104,000 jobs were created in the private sector and the number of people in public sector employment declined over the same period by 24,000. Don;t get me wrong, its not a rosy picture at all but it is the case that both the unemployment rates and number of those employed have both gone up.

Tortington Wed 17-Aug-11 22:51:55

"National output is still 4% below where it was at its peak in early 2008. As a result, private sector job creation is faltering at the time public sector job cuts are kicking in."
jobs just not there

Tortington Wed 17-Aug-11 22:53:05

"Ministers like to boast about how the economy created 500,000 private sector jobs in the latest year; what they don't say is that the "latest year" ended in March 2011 (more current data is unavailable) and that more than 300,000 of the 500,000 increase took place before the coalition came to office."

Tortington Wed 17-Aug-11 22:53:51

"The number of people working part time because they can't find a full-time job rose by 83,000 to 1.26m in the three months to June, the highest figures since comparable records began in 1992."

Tortington Wed 17-Aug-11 22:54:45

"What does all this mean? It means that the jobless total, currently at 2,494,000, is likely to go through the 2.5m level next month. It means that unemployment among 16-24-year-olds, now 949,000, will be heading towards 1m when this year's graduates enter the labour market."

EdithWeston Wed 17-Aug-11 23:05:19

Custardo: when do school leavers and fresh graduates start appearing in the figures? I can't see why they wouldn't have done already if they're out of work, as term has finished. Are their weird regulations about when you can start a claim?

Tortington Wed 17-Aug-11 23:27:17

Ministers like to boast about how the economy created 500,000 private sector jobs in the latest year; what they don't say is that the "latest year" ended in March 2011 (more current data is unavailable) and that more than 300,000 of the 500,000 increase took place before the coalition came to office."

schroeder Wed 17-Aug-11 23:28:32

number of vacancies down here.

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 18-Aug-11 10:33:12

It isn't a surprise that the jobless figures have gone up and I don't think anyone has said that. In case no-one's noticed, the world economy is in a complete slump at the moment with little growth anywhere outside of the developing countries. Consumer demand tailed off about three years ago which put a lot of private sector workers out of work. Oil and other fuel prices have shot up. Construction, Finance and Manufacturing are all struggling sectors. This, in turn, led to a nose-dive in tax revenues and the necessity for the spending cuts which have resulted in some public sector workers now being out of work. That's not just the UK, it's happening in all Western economies. And it would be happening, regardless of who is in government.

Within that environment there is an even greater obligation to make sure the money is going where it is genuinely needed.

CustardCake Thu 18-Aug-11 11:21:28

All of the west is suffering the exact same thing.
In America unemployment is about 9% but nearer 15% for some groups - black Americans being the most often quoted figures.

UK figures are about 8% but much worse for some groups than others.

In Spain unemployment rates are 21%
In France and Germany's economys have ground to a halt.
German unemployment levels are about 9% (but that figure applies to young people too so is better than much of Europe where on average 20% of youngsters are unemployed)

There isn't really a lot any UK government can do in the face of this. We export and import everything from manufactured goods to services and without a strong global customer base to sell to, jobs in this country become redundant. The wheels are falling off every other western economy whether ruled by left or right-leaning politicians and very little of this is within our power to turn around. UK employment cannot improve all the time our neighbours are sinking or the stronger ones are angaged in bailing out the weaker ones.

Tortington Thu 18-Aug-11 11:45:03

"n truth, the welfare bill, as a percentage of GDP, is roughly the same as when Labour took power in 1997 – despite a recession, inevitable higher unemployment and the spluttering economy. But to convince voters that Britain is broken, the prime minister is pushing social policy based on ideology rather than evidence. It is a belief system that will do little to help the people who need it."

from the article linked

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 18-Aug-11 11:54:23

I don't see what's wrong with a PM (or any politician for that matter) pushing an agenda based on ideology. Don't people vote more for an ideological change of direction rather than nitty-gritty, costed action-plans? If we always go by evidence it can turn into government by focus group which, in turn, risks losing something in the sense of vision or leadership. Labour struggled with that one, didn't they. Whether the policy is successful or not cann only be tested after the fact.

Tortington Thu 18-Aug-11 13:12:35

no, i don;t agree at all. We need to know that action is based on evidence and not on whim or pressure. governments need to think of the needs of the country first.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now