Talk

Advanced search

Hard-up students should be allowed to pay off their debts by selling a kidney

(15 Posts)
Tortington Wed 03-Aug-11 22:30:28

students sell a fucking kidney

sell your organs for education - sounds positivley third world doesn't it?

ssd Wed 03-Aug-11 22:37:10

well done custy was just about to start a thread on this

stupid stupid effin woman

wonder if she'll sell hers or her grankids kidneys?

unfuckinbelievable

SpottyFrock Wed 03-Aug-11 22:40:19

Students are young and stupid and have no concept of their life beyond 25. Therefore, they should not be allowed to have the opportunity to do such a ridiculous thing for money. What sort of barbaric society would allow its young to sell their body parts to pay for their education?

SpottyFrock Wed 03-Aug-11 22:43:32

And what next? Sell a kidney to raise a deposit on a house? Or to go travelling for a year? It's a bloody stupid idea and I'm glad the bma are saying so.

Tortington Wed 03-Aug-11 22:45:40

yes yes indeedy

usualsuspect Wed 03-Aug-11 22:46:22

shock

PonceyMcPonce Wed 03-Aug-11 22:48:42

Cannot help but think of the us where people sold blood. Unsurprisingly, the people who sold blood were the very people who should not have been donors.

Timebomb

Northernlurker Wed 03-Aug-11 22:48:43

Oh my word that's a stupid idea!

wannaBe Wed 03-Aug-11 22:49:24

in fairness she said that people should be encouraged to donate kidneys and used students as an example, which is different to suggesting that students should be encouraged to sell their organs.

it's no less wrong but to suggest that it was aimed purely at students is misleading.

NormanTebbit Wed 03-Aug-11 22:50:07

Mind you I had male student friends who merrily donated sperm and were participants in drugs trials, the latter was pretty well paid and included board and lodging in some instances.

Parietal Wed 03-Aug-11 22:52:24

In the US female students can already sell their eggs to IVF couples to pay for college.

NotJustKangaskhan Wed 03-Aug-11 23:19:15

wannabe is right - currently in the UK, people who pass the screening process can altruistically donate a kidney if they so wish. Those who have done so have shown no increased risks of health issues (most likely because of the strict screening process) and a kidney from a living donor works a lot better and for a lot longer than one from a cadaver donor. I think it should be encouraged, though maybe students aren't the right target audience, and with the low risks I can see an argument for incentive. But then, my grandfather has been "selling" his blood and plasma in the States for as long as I can remember so I've been raised with the concept.

Solopower Thu 04-Aug-11 12:34:43

I'd rather my son was mugged for his trainers than for his kidneys, though ...

The mind boggles at the opportunities this would provide to private enterprise. Imagine the patient in hospital for the removal of a wisdom tooth. Comes home minus one kidney. smile

The BMA are against it and I don't think this will happen. I really hope not.

chill1243 Thu 25-Aug-11 13:54:15

the mind boggles at such an idea. But money will TALK in all areas; if we allow it to

niceguy2 Thu 25-Aug-11 13:57:39

I guess it's better to sell your kidney to fund your education than an ipad!

Link

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now