Talk

Advanced search

THE Tories are now going to change things so that you may only get a council tax rebate depending on where you live.

(17 Posts)
Tortington Wed 03-Aug-11 18:14:21

bbc and eric pickles

"..*.But councils will also be free to change the eligibility criteria. * This could mean that council tax benefit will depend on where you live - a change to the concept of universal state benefits.

If councils cannot find savings, poorer households may see their council tax benefit cut."

there you go poor people, lets hope you live in the right area

Tortington Wed 03-Aug-11 18:39:09

bumpy

Tortington Wed 03-Aug-11 19:10:31

clearly MN is the wrong demographic <skips to look at boden catalogue leaving the poor people Mr. Kipling>

TartyDoris Wed 03-Aug-11 19:28:15

The amount of council tax we pay in this country is a fucking disgrace when you consider the poor level of service we get.

Tortington Wed 03-Aug-11 19:58:50

does that mean poor people should not recieve benefits though TART?

Tortington Wed 03-Aug-11 19:59:26

council tax benefit i mean

Tortington Wed 03-Aug-11 22:44:49

one last bump

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 04-Aug-11 07:01:21

What's proposed is that there would be a ceiling on the amount of council tax benefit paid out. A budget. At present, reading that article, there is no incentive for a council to limit the pay-outs because the bill gets passed up the chain. Once again, like a lot of the stories you're posting custardo, it's not a done deal.... and I suspect you're just spreading anti-government scare stories for reasons best known to yourself.

tallulah Thu 04-Aug-11 08:29:17

I actually think it's a good idea. ATM councils can charge what they like because they have the excuse that "the poor" don't have to pay. If everyone had to pay they'd have to reduce it. Council tax represents a huge chunk of our income and you can't do anything to reduce it.

AlpinePony Thu 04-Aug-11 09:24:12

Local councils decide how much council tax you pay, not central government. HTH.

HeatherSmall Thu 04-Aug-11 09:27:46

Does this mean full council tax on second homes, I hope so.

2shoes Thu 04-Aug-11 09:29:04

another think to make the poor and vulnerable suffer

RustyBear Thu 04-Aug-11 09:32:56

"Once again, like a lot of the stories you're posting custardo, it's not a done deal.... and I suspect you're just spreading anti-government scare stories for reasons best known to yourself."

Ah, right, so we are just supposed to wait until it is a done deal and then complain about it?

Glad you explained the rules.....

HeatherSmall Thu 04-Aug-11 09:34:46

I would prefer they re evaluate the brackets, for example here if you own a 3 bed terrace you pay £1200. a year which is 1% of the houses value, if you own a 5 bed detached you pay £2500 which is less than .5% of the value, that's plain wrong and with a 25% allows single people on fixed incomes to rattle around in huge houses they have no need for, there's a lot of single old lady's locally who cannot afford to heat/maintain property's which families desperately need.

Tortington Thu 04-Aug-11 20:59:59

its not right that councils are allowed to change the eligibility criteria - effectively meaning that some people get a benefit and some don't. it is fundamentally wrong.

and cognito the reason which is best known to myself is that i am a secret lemonade drinker

scaryteacher Thu 04-Aug-11 23:05:53

'and with a 25% allows single people on fixed incomes to rattle around in huge houses they have no need for, there's a lot of single old lady's locally who cannot afford to heat/maintain property's which families desperately need.'

The elderly ladies may want however to stay in their homes which many will have lived in for decades. If I'm widowed, I will stay in my house as long as I can, because it is mine, because I can, and because it is a place of happiness. If the elderly ladies want to stay in their homes, why shouldn't they? Also, the families that want them may not be able to afford the asking price, or the running costs either.

newwave Mon 08-Aug-11 21:12:29

Custardo does not need to spread scare stories, one look at Pickles and the rest of the Tory filth is enough to scare anyone without a trust fund or lots of dosh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now