Talk

Advanced search

The ONE Campaign is looking for Mumsnetters who'd like to cover an international conference on funding for vaccines

(23 Posts)
RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 23-May-11 13:57:40

Hello politicos,

The anti-poverty advocacy organisation ONE is looking for some MNers to report on an upcoming conference of world leaders in London. The aim of the conference is to provide funding for the roll-out of vaccines against diarrhoea and pneumonia, the two leading causes of death in children in developing countries.

The GAVI conference on June 13 hopes to raise $3.7bn dollars in funding pledges to enable the vaccines to be given to millions of children who are currently at risk, with the aim of saving approximately 4 million lives in the next five years (and helping to meet Millennium Development Goal Number 4).

The idea is that the MNers would be given front seat access to vital campaign events, detailed insider briefings about the campaign, and an insight into how an international NGO goes about trying to influence governments. In return, we'd like you to report back here to let us know your thoughts.

Ideally you'll be able to attend an event tomorrow (Tuesday) evening in central London (although this isn't a deal-breaker), and be available during the day on June 9, 10 and 13. Because the conference itself will be in London this might best suit people who are based in the south-east, but if you're outside the south-east and still interested, let us know and we'll see what we can do.

Please post here if you'd like to get involved. If you can't go but fancy doing some clicktivism, do please sign the petition.

Thanks,

MNHQ xx

Cattleprod Mon 23-May-11 14:03:41

Is this anything to do with the 'No Child Born to Die' campaign? Sounds very similar.

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 23-May-11 14:10:42

Hello Cattleprod - that's a Save the Children campaign, I think, and covers all aspects of child mortality. This one is specifically about the funding of vaccines.

swallowedAfly Mon 23-May-11 15:07:25

Message withdrawn

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 23-May-11 16:25:56

Sorry about the short notice - I think there's some collective responsibility for that <shuffles feet awkwardly> but as I said, it's quite understandable if people can't make it tomorrow.

I think ONE is prepared to cover travel expenses for one trip to London (so that would probably be for the conference itself on June 13) for people from outside the London area. They're holding briefing events in other towns in the UK, and obviously some things could be done via Skype and so on. If you're not in the south-east but you are interested, do please post (maybe giving a vague idea of location as well) and we'll try to sort something out.

SnailWhaleTail Mon 23-May-11 18:13:48

Hi, I'm nr Portsmouth and would be interested in going but couldn't do tomorrow eve due to work commitments.

Indith Mon 23-May-11 18:22:24

Hope you get someone, sounds great. Unfortunately I am 1) too far away. 2)on holiday for the dates, and 3) even if I were available no way would I be able to get dh to take time off/some other mug to look after the dcs at short notice!

swallowedAfly Mon 23-May-11 18:25:11

Message withdrawn

Mellowfruitfulness Mon 23-May-11 18:32:50

This sounds like a wonderful opportunity for a Mumsnetter to get involved in something really worthwhile. I hope someone takes you up on it. A bit far for me to come (Edinburgh) plus too many work commitments, but I shall be very interested in the report.

Cattleprod Mon 23-May-11 18:39:05

I can't do it either but I'm interested to see who volunteers. Knowing how heated vaccination discussions can become on here (more feisty than ff/bf even!) it could make for an interesting report if one of the staunch anti-vaxers goes along!

ronshar Mon 23-May-11 21:09:49

I would love to do it but I will have been to the Isle of Wight festival that weekend and will be in a right state.
Not the image MN want to project I'm suresmile

overthemill Tue 24-May-11 17:47:20

i can do 10th and 13th of june if that is any help and obv not tonight.

have you found anyone else yet?

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 24-May-11 21:52:07

Hello everyone - thanks to SnailWhaleTail and overthemill. We'll leave the thread open for another day to see if anyone else fancies it and then come back to you with something definite on Thursday.

bluedogs Wed 25-May-11 10:22:10

I might with a bit of juggling be able to do this. Could do with a few more details.

Cattleprod Wed 25-May-11 11:13:43

You might get more response if you copy this thread in the vaccines topic. smile

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 25-May-11 13:42:24

Thanks bluedogs - what sort of extra details would you like? Let me know and I'll see if I can get more info for you.

moid Wed 25-May-11 19:39:20

I am interested, based in Guildford so easy to get to London. Please pick me!

SnailWhaleTail Wed 25-May-11 22:02:39

Great. I'd be really interested to find out the outcome of the talks in any case as my background is healthcare.

overthemill Thu 26-May-11 00:04:30

if any of the others can do all dates then I will bow out

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 29-May-11 22:10:12

Hello all - apologies for the delay in getting back to you. The combination of Bank Holiday weekend and some building work at MNHQ is affecting my productivity levels <ahem>. But thought you might be interested in this article about the conference, and about Cameron's defence of international development spending.

SnailWhaleTail Fri 03-Jun-11 13:56:56

Have just been finding out more about the conference from the lovely people at ONE. I'm going to start a new thread in order to keep people updated on what will be happening and maybe feed back any questions or comments you may have.

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 06-Jun-11 11:38:21

Thanks SWT for taking it on - looking forward to the thread. Could you post a link to it here when you start it?

MNHQ x

SnailWhaleTail Wed 08-Jun-11 19:21:15

here is the link to the new thread

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now