Talk

Advanced search

Is anyone else watching Red Ed's speech?

(14 Posts)
longfingernails Sat 21-May-11 13:55:25

Have you ever heard such vacuous claptrap?

claig Sat 21-May-11 15:30:29

I've heard Gordon Brown's speeches.

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 21-May-11 17:21:44

He always has 'getting back into power' as his theme. Which is fine, as far as it goes, but I often think he'd be better off talking about improving people's lives, making a difference, taking the country forward .. or whatever. Getting back into power sounds rather self-serving.

moondog Sat 21-May-11 17:23:34

Has he got that nose fixed yet?
I am embarrassed for him when I hear him speak.
It;s like hearing a Lower Sixth debate in a fifth rate public school.

jackstarb Sat 21-May-11 22:38:07

Here is the speech transcript. He's still aiming at the 'squeezed middle' - talking about child benefit and Tuition fees, but now he's added in 'blue Labour'.

Tbh - it doesn't come across well in the transcript.

dotnet Thu 26-May-11 18:25:26

Thanks for putting up the transcript, jackstarb. I thought the speech was OK, except maybe the speechwriter took on board a bit too much the 'short sentences' thing. You know, that article of faith that, as in tabloid newspapers, sentences have to be short so that people can cope with them! Maybe there was too much of a 'Beano' feel to parts of the speech, for that reason.
But hey, everyone's a critic.

GothAnneGeddes Sat 28-May-11 02:02:29

He's just not the one is he?

And 'Blue Labour' can bugger right off.

<despondent>

complimentary Mon 30-May-11 14:22:13

That speech was dreadful.

ShimmeryPixie Mon 30-May-11 14:36:44

what the hell is blue labour?

claig Mon 30-May-11 14:50:01

I think it is Andy Burnham swearing, Campbell swearing and Gordon throwing mobile phones and a lot worse. Not something I'd like to hear.

claig Mon 30-May-11 14:50:45

The word 'bigot' probably peppers the langauge as well.

claig Mon 30-May-11 14:54:59

Basically, it's the sort of thing that goes on at Shadow Cabinet meetings.

ShimmeryPixie Mon 30-May-11 14:57:33

grin

kerstina Fri 17-Jun-11 13:34:46

I did not see Eds speech so thank you for link. I think the speech is good it articulates what a lot of us are feeling ;the sense of powerlessness against globalisation and the markets. Was touched he mentioned Cadburys .
My message to the Ed is please keep to the left don't let your core beliefs and instincts be watered down by people telling you how to be to be electable. Your job is to inspire people with your passion of a fairer Britain not just change to please some voters.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now