Talk

Advanced search

independent scotland ? who gets to keep the queen?

(38 Posts)
droves Fri 06-May-11 19:56:24

All this talk of Scottish independence /snp ect has got me thinking. If scotland did become inedependent who would keep the Queen /royal family ect?.

Bear in mind , King james of Scotland inherited the English throne from Queen Elizabeth he first of England, who died without producing an heir.

The monachy is therefore off Scottish line of decent and really the English Royals died off centuarys ago.

The reason they live in England is King James was raised by Elizabeth in England after his mother Mary queen of scots was beheaded.

So can Scotland really be independent from England ? I dont think so , not if both countries share a Queen/King.

To me Scotland wanting to be separate from the rest of the uk is like chucking away a very special gift.
Often in Scotland i have came across the attitude , that England doesnt have Scotlands intrest at heart , that everything is geared toward London.That somehow England owns Scotland and we must rebel.( I dont agree, fecking "braveheart" has a lot to answer for imo ).

The politics of dividing a nation are mind boggeling and i admit i dont understand what exactly that would mean , but it just seems a lot of hassle for a lot of hassle and not much else.

The old saying comes to mind , together we stand ....divided we fall.sad.

droves Fri 06-May-11 19:58:48

Oh and alex salmond give me the creeps. i just dont trust him.

nethunsreject Fri 06-May-11 19:59:05

I'm happy to be Scottish and British. Quite happy with the way things are.

Monarchy is irrelevant! Personally I neither need nor want one, British, Scottish or otherwise.

MollysChamber Fri 06-May-11 20:00:35

^And I agree.

TapselteerieO Fri 06-May-11 20:03:54

Eh last I heard the Queen/royal family was of German descent, so if no one here wants her maybe the Germans will welcome them back - they are not Scottish, that line died out a wee while ago now.

MollysChamber Fri 06-May-11 20:06:16

I suppose it would be proposed that Scotland become a commonwealth realm.

unfitmother Fri 06-May-11 20:08:31

Well I don't want her but I'm confident the majority of Scots don't either.

MollysChamber Fri 06-May-11 20:10:09

I would tend to agree unfit.

In fact I think a promise to "get rid" may well help the independence vote.

droves Fri 06-May-11 20:18:23

I dont think you could just sack the Queen though ???.

Whether people want her is a different thing.

MollysChamber Fri 06-May-11 20:21:05

Actually I think we could if we had a referendum and that was the way the vote went.

meditrina Fri 06-May-11 20:22:19

HMQ "let it be known" ahead of one of the Aussie referenda, that of course she'd respect the will of the people thus expressed; so with a "yes" vote, planning the logistics of handover would begin immediately.

Fuctifano Fri 06-May-11 20:32:41

Agree with Unfit and Molly, but please can we come to your "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead Party" when Thatcher finally croaks? I think the monarchy and an obsession with it is something that puzzles most Scots. My town received NO applications for street parties for the royal wedding. No animosity just no interest.

meditrina Fri 06-May-11 20:48:23

droves you said: "So can Scotland really be independent from England ? I dont think so , not if both countries share a Queen/King".

That's not quite right - HMQ is also monarch of several other independent countries: Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Jamaica, Barbados, the Bahamas, Grenada, Papua New Guinea, the Solomon Islands, Tuvalu, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Belize, Antigua and Barbuda, and Saint Kitts and Nevis.

So all options are open.

droves Fri 06-May-11 20:57:06

OH ? I stand corrected then.

So betty windsor is queen of all those countries too , is that commonwealth ?
How does that work then , do they give her money ect?

Is that why Scotland is mostly wanting to get rid of the royals & England. (generaly its freedom from "english rule". <farking braveheart syndrome is what i call it> , ireland wales and cornwall & channel islands never seem to get a mention hmm).

meditrina Fri 06-May-11 21:09:00

It was only when I was typing about the Aussie referendum that I remembered that she is Queen of a number of other places too.

All those places are in the Commonwealth, but so are a load of places where HMQ is not monarch eg India (there are 54 countries in the Commonwealth, whereas she's monarch to UK plus the 15 above).

droves Fri 06-May-11 21:14:40

Fgs . Monarch of 16 countries !!!! Thats just gready.

<wonders why i wasnt taught this at school ? >

Scottish education , hmm

meditrina Fri 06-May-11 21:22:14

I learned all this for the Commonwealth Knowledge badge at Guides. Not much has changed, except the joining of the Commonwealth by Mozambique, the first country to do so which was never a part of the a British Empire.

droves Fri 06-May-11 21:56:58

See this is why i lurves Mn . i learn things from you all smile.

MollysChamber Fri 06-May-11 21:59:02

I think a far more interesting question is "Who get's to keep Balmoral?" grin

meditrina Fri 06-May-11 23:11:38

Balmoral was purchased by Queen Victoria, so would continue to be owned by the Royal family. I think the same would apply to the Castle of Mey. There would be a better case for the Scots taking ownership ofHolyrood Palace, as the historic seat of the Scottish Royal family. But if the Queen stayed as head of state, then it would probably still continue to be available for her use.

MollysChamber Fri 06-May-11 23:22:17

Oh how disappointing. I'm looking for a country retreat grin

Chil1234 Sat 07-May-11 07:06:22

We could redesign the Union Flag to omit the scottish element. It would end up being two red crosses on a white background. smile

RustyBear Sat 07-May-11 08:11:11

Actually Queen Elizabeth can still trace a direct line of descent from William I if you go through the female line (and England has never had a Salic Law excluding females from either inheriting the throne or transmitting a claim), so the 'English Royals' haven't really died out (assuming you define William I as 'English' of course!)

If Scotland becomes independent they would remain a monarchy, just as Australia has, unless and until the Scottish Parliament decided otherwise,

But if they did want their 'own' monarch, perhaps they could take the Jacobite line that all the monarchs since George I are usurpers and invite the current Head of the House of Stuart - Duke Franz of Bavaria - to take the throne.

dingdong89 Sat 07-May-11 16:25:01

I think it's time to ditch the monarchy - let's have a head of state who is elected and accountable.

Wordwork Sat 07-May-11 16:34:46

I think with the monarchy, all options are always open. It has constantly shown itself willing to innovate 'tradition' in any way that suits its continuing survival. She could be queen of an independent scotland or not, or Honorary Empress of Balmoral, just according to whatever trinketry was the smoothest solution.

I imagine though that the seccession of Scotland is nominally in her gift? That she -- i.e. in effect the UK govt -- has to sign off Scotland's exit. Scotland has no constitutional power to bugger off, and the referendum would just create a political necessity for the UK to pass a law 'setting it free'?

As an English person, I'm happy either way: I like being in a family of UK nations, but if Scotland wanted out, we would still be sister-nations under the European Union.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: