Talk

Advanced search

Did you vote Conservative?

(156 Posts)
ampere Fri 07-Jan-11 10:52:08

Do you regret it or do you think the government are doing what they said on their tin?

Chil1234 Fri 07-Jan-11 11:14:55

I voted Conservative & don't regret it. It was clear, pre-election, that none of the manifesto plans went far enough on the financial aspects of tackling the economic problems. The Tory plans went furthest and I was convinced (and have not been disappointed) they were the only ones brave enough to risk short-term unpopularity to get us out of the mess. Don't agree with 100% of the measures taken & they've made a few errors of judgement. Ask me again when we start to see some tangible results

lucky1979 Fri 07-Jan-11 11:57:48

Yep, what Chil said.

complimentary Fri 07-Jan-11 12:45:41

I did not vote for them, as they are useless on the EU.
I agree with above posters, in that I feel they are doing what they can to get us out of this mess.

JoanofArgos Fri 07-Jan-11 12:46:50

ah, this is handy - a shit list in an easy-to-refer to location! [grins]

zoezebraa Fri 07-Jan-11 12:47:11

Would never vote for them.
Now everyone can see why.

BaroqinAroundTheChristmasTree Fri 07-Jan-11 12:55:27

I did shock!

I knew whoever got in we were fucked. Our current MP (Tory) was already in the seat and despite some very hmm political ideas he's had a good track record of fighting for local constituents. Labour shipped someone in and the Lib Dem bloke appeared to be a bit of a wet kipper (again not local).

As a town/area we struggled under labour figured at least having someone in that knew what the local issues are was better than someone who didn't have a clue.

I think some of the decision they've made so far in Westminster have been awful.

Do I regret voting Tory? - no I don't. I'm still convinced despite his political party we have the best MP (out of the candidate available) for our area.

So basically I voted for a candidate rather than a party because tbh I think even if somehow labour had gone back in we'd have seen cuts. Things couldn't continue in the same way there were - they may not have been the same cuts - but they'd have been cuts.

jackstarb Fri 07-Jan-11 13:57:52

In the UK we are lucky to live in a democracy - which means we can vote out governments who don't deliver.

IMO - Gordon Brown messed up and needed to go. There was no way I'd have voted for a Brown led Labour in the last election. I did admire Darling and would have considered voting for a Dave Miliband / Darling led Labour.

But I think the Coalition was the best option. Like Chil - I don't agree with everything they do. It feels like they are going too fast, and they will make mistakes.

The poorest and most vulnerable tend to suffer most in economic down turns and often benefit least from economic booms, no matter who's in government. A stable economy benefits us all.

goodmanners Fri 07-Jan-11 17:36:04

no but i nearly did but as they said they wouldnt get rid of surestart in our area and that they wouldnt raise vat and they are and have done both i feel they arent to be trusted and wont ever in fact i probably just wont ever vote again now. I am a bit bitter today about it all though so dont jump on me as im not that much into politics.

MrsJohnDeere Fri 07-Jan-11 17:42:05

Yes, no regrets so far.

longfingernails Fri 07-Jan-11 19:39:36

I voted for them, and am moderately happy.

I am disappointed they have been so lily-livered on the EU. I

I am disappointed that they have not cracked down harder on unskilled and illegal immigrants, and have not been more liberal with skilled immigrants.

I am disappointed that they have not repealed the 50p tax rate.

I am annoyed that they have cut the defence budget.

I am annoyed that we have bailed out Ireland.

I am annoyed that Cameron has started spouting leftist nonsense about inequality and progressivity instead of aspiration and opportunity.

So not perfect. However, I am sure of one thing: they are a damn sight better than Labour.

LadyBlaBlah Fri 07-Jan-11 22:18:35

Hell fucking no did I vote for them

Just a note - we have hardly "bailed out Ireland"

DiscoDaisy Fri 07-Jan-11 22:20:47

It would need to be a cold day in hell before I vote Tory.

WinkyWinkola Fri 07-Jan-11 22:26:15

No, no, no, no. Tory = repellant to me.

IndefiniteLeave Sat 08-Jan-11 10:39:10

Q: "I am annoyed that Cameron has started spouting leftist nonsense about inequality and progressivity instead of aspiration and opportunity."

Well, the thing is, I think is so much easier for properly educated, fully supported, 'middle-class value'ed' people to recognise and seize 'opportunity', should it arise, than if you're a DC from a failing comp in a mass-unemployment, social-problem addled, welfare dependent Thatcher-destroyed northern town who has never known an adult in full-time, permanent employment.

The cabinet contains 22 millionaires. They are Trust Fund Central. There is a serious 'experience gap' as it was referred to in a broad sheet. I feel this is reflected in their policies.

purepurple Sat 08-Jan-11 10:46:17

No I didn't vote for them, but thank you so much to everyone who did.
<<gives slow hand clap>>
I have spent the last 2 and a half years doing a degree course, funded by the local county council, as well as working 40 hours a week. The local council are now pulling the funding as from march. This means I ahve to find a way to pay for the last term, so I can graduate. I work in a nursery, on just above minimum wage. I have to finish the course, or it would be a waste of the last few years, but where is the money comimg from and why couldn't they honour the funding till the end of the academic year?

OracleOfDelphinium Sat 08-Jan-11 10:49:31

Yes, and I don't regret it for a second. I would never vote anything else.

HumphreyCobbler Sat 08-Jan-11 10:53:49

I voted for them.

Partly because I didn't see any choice in the matter. I felt the LD's were dishonest and making specious claims that they had no chance of carrying though if in power (I was right there then grin) and there was NO way I would vote labour after so much mess left. Just the PFI thing is enough to make me weep with rage. And the pensions.

Also I am becoming more right wing in my view of economics so less intervention seems the way to go.

newwave Sat 08-Jan-11 21:08:13

As the Tories ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, attack the most vulnerable, the poorest and those least able to help themselves in society, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, increase child poverty, look after the rich and connected at the expense of others HOW CAN ANYONE VOTE TORY UNLESS THEY ARE JUST SELFISH.

For one the best ever examples of a selfish poster read some of LFN's gems.

Chil1234 Sat 08-Jan-11 22:33:46

If you're going in for sweeping generalisations do remember that 13 years of Labour government did nothing to reduce child poverty, introduced the bizarre concept of handing out benefits to the wealthy, reduced social mobility and whipped the 10% tax rate away from those on the lowest incomes without a thought.... amongst other things.

smallwhitecat Sat 08-Jan-11 22:37:25

Message withdrawn

newwave Sat 08-Jan-11 22:58:57

Chil, Labour did reduce child poverty just not far enough or quickly enough, every Tory government has increased child poverty. As for your other points you wont find me defending NewLabour on those scores. Blair was always far too ToryLite for me.

SWC, More BS (as you describe) from you as always, where have I stated every Tory votes from the same perspective (can you read?)what I have said is a Tory vote is a selfish vote because the Tories always "attack" and scapegoat the poor and needy. So in part at least an attack on the poor and needy is what you are voting for. You may think they deserve it or it's their own fault, whatever.

is that so fucking hard for you to understand.

mycounty Sat 08-Jan-11 23:09:16

I did not vote Tory. I agree with LFN that Cameron could be doing better, (a lot better!).
We did give Ireland 10 billion (or was it 8? anyways a lot of money!) Money which we will not get back. Not in our lifetime.

The poor, remained poor under labour. The labour party only cared about big business, that is why they encouraged mass immigration, so that their rich mates in business, could have cheap labour. They could not care less if mass immigration affected the poor. Jack Straw lives in the Cotswolds!

The labour party could not give a shite, about the working classes, they sneer and and look down at them.
It has been a long time since the labour party has seen the political giants like Keir Hardie. It has been left with political pygmies like Milliband, Blair and other non-entities like Madelson. Those who vote labour should not criticise the Tory party when the Labour elite is ten times worse!

smallwhitecat Sat 08-Jan-11 23:11:58

Message withdrawn

longfingernails Sat 08-Jan-11 23:12:34

What is most selfish of all is Labour racking up debts for this generation that the next five, at least, will have to pay off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now