Talk

Advanced search

IMF proposes 5% tax cut for Irish *women* only

(7 Posts)
mrsbaldwin Thu 25-Nov-10 08:38:34

This news in today's Guardian has made my morning.

Apparently the IMF has proposed a 5% tax cut, just for women, as part of its package of bailout measures for Ireland. Read all about it here

I had to just think in case it was 1st April.

Angry men are ringing into phone-ins across Ireland to express their rage, suggesting that women would spend their extra disposable income on hair and handbags.

Women, of course, have sensibly pointed out that it's the cost of childcare that's the problem - although if I could do a good Irish accent I'd be tempted to call up a phone-in myself and go on for a bit about this great handbag I'd seen grin

When can we get this in the UK is what I want to know!

mrsbaldwin Thu 25-Nov-10 08:45:09

Sorry I meant to write the tax cut is 'just for women returning to work after having children'!

huddspur Thu 25-Nov-10 17:52:44

I would be amazed if this came to pass, tax rates based on gender is political suicide.

menareangrynow Tue 30-Nov-10 12:35:57

@mrsbaldwin

You actually support this disgusting bigotry, eh? What does that say about you? Would you support different tax rates for other groups, like having blacks pay more income tax than whites, or Muslims paying more than atheists or Christians? What about having gays pay more than straights? Does that sound fair to you?

This is just unadulterated sexism, and anyone who supports this is nothing but a dirty bigot, in exactly the same way that someone who supports people of different ethnic groups, sexual orientations, or religions being treated differently. How would you feel if you were being targeted to pay more than your peers just because you're different? Get some compassion.

sobloodystupid Tue 30-Nov-10 12:39:30

Brilliant! Am returning to work in January after mat leave. I also completely agree with menareangrynow wink

GuardianReader Tue 30-Nov-10 16:04:00

Stupid idea - we should not pay people anything for having children. Their decision, their responsibility.

The fact that so many wilfully have children without being able to support them by themselves says all you need to know about their sense of responsibility, their lack of shame.

It's a form of abuse, if you ask me.

SharronM1 Tue 30-Nov-10 17:04:40

GuardianReader, you seem to be buying into the idea that the poor should not have children. Aren't those on low incomes excluded from enough as it is?
Bringing up children is not just a personal issue -it is important work for society. As a society we need to arrange the production of food,manufactured goods, construction of buildings etc - and care of people. Why is the latter less important?
People choose to have children for their own reasons - but nevertheless are bringing up the next generation of workers.Business gets this next generation produced at little cost to itself - with almost all the expense falling on the parents of those children.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: