Talk

Advanced search

Aung San Suu Kyi

(5 Posts)
WelshCerys Sat 13-Nov-10 14:00:42

Aung San Suu Kyi released from so many years of incarceration in her own home. Hoping she can continue campaigning for freedom and democracy in her beautiful country without fear of re-imprisonment.

Hoping too she'll soon be reunited with her children whom she hasn't seen for 10 years.

Burma is a long way away but somehow I feel so happy right now.

ilovemydogandMrObama Sat 13-Nov-10 14:04:35

So pleased. And so hoping it isn't 'freedom' in name only, but that she is able to exercise her political position and form an effective opposition.

donnie Sat 13-Nov-10 14:07:38

I also share a sense of cautious optimism. To be separated from your children fro 10 years is awful.

WelshCerys Sat 13-Nov-10 14:11:30

I should perhaps temper my comments - wonderful that Aung San Suu Kyi has been released today but there are over 2,000 political prisoners left in Burma. Just read this from the Burma Campaign:

“The release of Aung San Suu Kyi is about public relations, not democratic reform. I am thrilled to see our democracy leader free at last, but the release is not part of any political process, instead it is designed to get positive publicity for the dictatorship after the blatant rigging of elections on 7th November. We must not forget the thousands of other political prisoners still suffering in Burma’s jails.”

But maybe it's the start of something.

thereiver Sat 27-Nov-10 00:37:16

really who cares?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now