Talk

Advanced search

NUS demo 10.11.10 - march against tuition fees

(11 Posts)
danamum Sun 17-Oct-10 15:53:49

Most students will have left university by the time the increased tuition fees/ removal of cap comes in. It is school kids that will be affected. I think mums and kids should join the march. If it is big enough, it may give the govt, and especially the lib dems, pause for thought. Maybe all kids over 14 should march with banners that say 'we are the voters of tomorrow', just to remind them.
Dana

SpringHeeledJack Mon 18-Oct-10 18:10:21

bumping this

SpringHeeledJack Thu 21-Oct-10 21:32:59

bumping this again.

...completely out of self interest. I have many many childrens and I would like them all to leave home go to college at 18

wink

EightiesChick Mon 08-Nov-10 23:47:21

Bumping this. I am very angry about it and do not want my DS to go through the system that this goverment want to bring in for HE. We can do so much better. Anyone else going to the demo? <packing cagoule now>

RockChip Wed 01-Dec-10 16:38:42

Whole heatedly agree smile I really want to find a way to support these students. Glad to see this is on Mumsnet agenda smile It was this issue that lead me to join mumsnet today. Trying to find more mums that are also upset about this. So I am new to all this, so be gentle with me wink I have felt so proud of the peacefully demonstrating students (which was most of them) The students are going to hold another march at a weekend. Not sure when but going to find out cos I am going. I would love it if mumsnet would get involved on mass. Mums supporting their children and all future childrens right to higher education.

RockChip Wed 01-Dec-10 16:40:28

btw - what's bumping mean?

EducationForAll Wed 01-Dec-10 19:51:43

The government is trying to impose 80% cuts to university funding and a trebling of university fees to £9000 per year. They are also scrapping Educational Maintenance Allowance- the money given to some A level students so that they can afford to support themselves at college. Many of you will know about these measures already.

I am writing from University College London's occupation; students at UCL feel so strongly about these changes that we are occupying a room in our university to pressure our management into condemning the cuts. Our occupation has support from the NUS, Billy Bragg, Polly Toynbee, Chomsky and many others. As has been reported in the media thousands of students have taken to the streets in protest. The changes will not affect us directly as our fees are set at £3000 but we are campaigning for the next generation of children who are faced with excessive levels of debt and under-funded universities.

We know that it's a lot easier for students to protest than people with families but we would love to involve you in our campaign. If you, like us, feel these cuts are unfair and want to be heard, send a picture like this one

ucloccupation.wordpress.com/2010/11/29/i'm-a-baby- not-a-cash-cow/
NB- please take out the space between 'baby-' and 'not' in the web address.
Feel free to use a different slogan.
Send the picture to babynotacashcow@gmail.com.

We also hope to stand with you on any further demonstrations. Parents and Students- let's stand together!

Follow our campaign on www.ucloccupation.com

bucaneve Thu 02-Dec-10 11:49:49

Bumping

Although maybe more people would see this in chat?

RockChip Fri 03-Dec-10 20:08:03

Now it is our chance to support them, if anyone wants to act now check out www.familiesagainstfees.co.uk website. You just bung in your postcode and it generates a letter to your MP. Literally takes a minute and you can change the letter if you want. Pass this info on to others please.

whittingtonmum Fri 03-Dec-10 20:37:24

I just wrote the letter. It's here:

www.familiesagainstfees.co.uk

make sure you personalise it and the template letter needs proof reading wink

@Education for all

Like the I am a baby not a cash cow idea.

ucloccupation.wordpress.com/2010/11/29/i'm-a-baby- not-a-cash-cow/ Not that the girl in the pic is a baby but hey - will certainly get a pic taken in the morning when my six months old wakes up grin

whittingtonmum Sun 05-Dec-10 19:20:11

oops just posted this message on another thread I was on but I had meant it for here:
Just to say that I send a pic of ds holding a "I'm a baby not a cash cow" poster in solidarity to the UCL students and got a nice message back: "Thank you so much for the lovely pictures. Still requesting and collecting pictures from parents so we can send a true message of solidarity! Email pics to babynotacashcow@gmail.com"

love this one here Did any of us mumsnetters send it? So cute!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: