Talk

Advanced search

What bible reading for a funeral?

(14 Posts)
Squirrel3 Mon 15-Aug-05 14:52:21

My grandfather died a couple weeks ago and my Uncle wants to have the bible reading about when Jesus raises Lazarus from the dead, I feel that it is a little bit inappropriate for a funeral, he did ask me what bible reading I would choose but although I am a ('back slidden') Christian I can't think of an appropriate reading.

I know the bible reading would be really important to my Grandfather as he was a deeply religous man. An officer in the Salvation Army, his whole life was devoted to God.

ninah Mon 15-Aug-05 14:55:23

oh so very sorry squirrel, I wondered how things were going
I suggest the faith hope and charity reading from Paul's letter to the Corinthians, not particularly traditional at funerals but a great passage. I'd also try for the St James version, our vicar was most reluctant but allowed it in the end
who is doing the reading?

Squirrel3 Mon 15-Aug-05 14:57:29

Hello Ninah, my Uncle is doing the reading, just looking up the suggested readings.

QueenOfQuotes Mon 15-Aug-05 14:58:13

gosh - just been doing some research - and the first part of the Lazarus story is actually recommended by lots of funeral places

here are some

purpleturtle Mon 15-Aug-05 14:58:41

At my grandfather's funeral we had Ecclesiastes 3 - A time to be born and a time to die

When ds was christened 3 months later we had the same reading again.

lilibet Mon 15-Aug-05 15:00:29

I like Psalm 121

I lift my eyes to the hills

Squirrel3 Mon 15-Aug-05 15:04:26

Purpleturtle I have just opened my bible and the bookmark that my Grandfather gave to me is exactly on that page.

Squirrel3 Mon 15-Aug-05 15:06:32

Queenofquotes, thank you I've just looked at your link and yes the first part does seem appropriate, maybe its not such a bad idea.

Aero Mon 15-Aug-05 15:06:51

Ecclesiastes 3 would have been my suggestion as well. Sorry to hear of your loss.

Squirrel3 Mon 15-Aug-05 15:08:12

lilibet, I thought that a lovely psalm would be nice too.

Squirrel3 Mon 15-Aug-05 15:13:06

Thank you Aero, Ecclesiates 3 does seem appropriate as my dgd was born a couple of weeks before he died and he was so happy to be a Great, Great Grandad and a 'time to be born and a time to die' seems fitting somehow.

Aero Mon 15-Aug-05 20:37:46

Hope it goes as well as these things go whichever reading you choose. Thinking of you.

kath4kids Mon 15-Aug-05 21:50:03

Don't want to introdue squirrel but if you don't mind saying who was your grandad? I also S.A. officer prob wont know him but would be nice to give thanks to God for his life and pray for you as a family.

Tell me to mind my own business if you like though. won't be offended

Squirrel3 Tue 16-Aug-05 09:35:44

Thank you kath4kids, that is so touching, his name was Raymond I really don't want to tell his surname, but God will know, thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now