Talk

Advanced search

i'm hoping to get DS christened soon but....

(6 Posts)
nannyjo Mon 08-Aug-05 21:16:10

as he is a boy does that mean he is supposed to have 2 god fathers and one god mother??? Do i have that right is that the traditional way? If so should it matter if i do it slightly differently??

Lonelymum Mon 08-Aug-05 21:30:37

I am RC although was christened C of E and I can tell you that I had one godfather and three godmothers! (though who one of them is is a mystery to me!)

When I recently asked a priest about getting mine christened in the RC church, he said you can have as many or as few as you want ie only one godparent if you want. I don't think the sex matters.

Littlestarsweeper Mon 08-Aug-05 21:30:59

nope, three godparents and any sexes you like. it is traditional to have two godmothers and one godfather. I had two godmothers and that was fine.

marialuisa Tue 09-Aug-05 09:57:58

Another RC so don't know if this helps, but at least one godparent (of either gender). If you have more than one then at least one must be RC (and i think the same applies with CofE). Otherwise it's up to you.

purpleturtle Tue 09-Aug-05 10:00:17

There isn't even a requirement to have 3 godparents. Both our children have 2 couples each. I know people with 5 or 6 godparents. All depends on the vicar really.

Nannyjo, you are right that traditionally a boy would have 2 godfathers and 1 godmother. But do what you like!

fisil Tue 09-Aug-05 10:01:03

ds1 has 1 man and two ladies
ds2 has 3 men and 1 one lady.

But then neither actually got baptised, instead we had a service of thanksgiving in church and their "godparents" promised to look out for them, answer their difficult questions and help them to decide whether to be baptised or not in the future. Hopefully they will decide to be baptised, and will then ask their "godparents" to become real godparents. However, I know for a fact that 2 of them will decline because they are atheist and so will remain as supporting friends!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: