Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Spirituality

(18 Posts)
ChaCha Sun 26-Jun-05 15:48:52

A subject that i'm very fond of and wanted to discuss.
What is your own personal definition of spirituality and does it play a role in your day-to-day life?
Is spirituality necessarily linked to religion?
Thanks

Papillon Tue 28-Jun-05 13:13:25

Bummer that your thread has not kicked off ChaCha. Wanted to respond so you don´t think you are ignored.

You are a muslim is that right? Why not tell me/us something about your personal definition of spirituality or some books you like.

I, myself don´t go with one idea and have written about my feelings before on this board... If I hear from you I will respond some more.. but have just worn my fingers out posting just now on anohter thread!

horseshoe Tue 28-Jun-05 16:43:49

I think you would have to define religion first to answer whether the two are linked....

I think it would be easier to define a faith and so yes I think the two are linked immensley.

Also yes, spirituality plays an important part of my life as I always look to my inner self for guidance...whether it's intuition or sixth sense I think we all have a level of spirituality in us.

horseshoe Tue 28-Jun-05 16:48:52

Sorry I just wanted to add why it is so difficult to define religion....

I think because for so many, their faith is their way of life....therefore terming it a religion would be limiting and unacceptable to many.

ChaCha Tue 28-Jun-05 16:56:24

Hi there Papillon,
Have you heard of Sufism?

I love reading any of the works of 'Rumi' - I think this is one of my favourite quotes:
"Deafened by the voice of desire you are unaware the Beloved lives in the core of your heart. Stop the noise and you will hear His voice in the silence". There are so many!
I've been following a spiritual path for a few years now, had a total change in lifestyle and am at my happiest I think that it's a personal journey - was just curious to know what others think of spirituality and how they define it. Thanks x

horseshoe Tue 28-Jun-05 17:03:50

Yes I agree with you Chacha...i also think it is a personal journey and I find it hard to accept religions such as christianity as i cant accept it as a whole..

it would be interesting to see what others define as spirituality though..

Papillon Thu 30-Jun-05 16:24:08

The Rumi quote is beautiful ChaCha

I have heard of Sufism but never explored past the word.

I agree to that it is a personal journey, which is probably why there are so many tangents of faith and ethos. More so these days as people can explore what they like and have their lives in danger.

Spirituality is linked to religion because so many people who are religious see themselves as also spiritual. Some see themselves as spiritual and not religious even when heavily involved in a religion. Again personal labels.

Being interested in spirituality and most importantly for me personally energy has made life much clearer, enjoyable and interesting. I have discovered and am still discovering much about the power and value of the spiritual body, emotional energy and how that makes me evolve. I find it really beneficial to work this way because I am a tad lazy at meditation in the traditional sense. And I like to work with not just the brain... don´t think all the spiritual secrets are stored there!

I did alot of work last year with my navel chakra... it was very strengthening for my personal makeup!

I don´t believe in a God or the Devil - but I am aware so guess belief in positive and negative energies that exist around us and in other people.

I don´t enjoy hierarchy or dominion so I guess that is why I don´t worship spiritual energies above me. I respect their development but don´t see that means they control me, create me or define me.

Its taken afew days to respond. I wanted to think about the post and sit and do it when it felt ready. Also pregnant brain lapses now and then

lunachic Thu 30-Jun-05 16:27:35

in my world spirituality doesnt have to be linked to religion

i couldnt put the definition of my own spirituality better than the always wonderful papillion has already !!

Papillon Thu 30-Jun-05 16:40:23

Why thank you Lunachic you have made me feel warm fuzzies!

I think you are quite knowledgeable about plants and herbs? Am I right. I think there are spiritual aspects to that. Any thoughts?

Papillon Thu 30-Jun-05 16:42:41

cripes just read my other earlier post and it should read

More so these days as people can explore what they like and NOT have their lives in danger. Although now I am musing on the dangers! lol

lunachic Fri 01-Jul-05 00:05:29

mmmmmm thankyou paps its nice to be thought of as knowledgable( ive gone fuzzy now too !) although i doubt very much i am- the things i know about herbs are really life learned through use not study (although i would like to study herbalism and homeopathy when my chiclets go to school)
i know a little tiny bit about sacred herbs used in meditation eg. shamanism in different cultures but not much
for me herbs have a spiritual aspect because they work in harmony with your body when used as medicine (unlike much conventional medicine)
i am also intersted in energies -personal energy and the energy of places-wish i could find more med time too (will do soon)
you are very eloquent papillion you are adept at translating your thoughts into words that read so beautifully
congratulations on your pg btw
i also had a problem with my navel /solar chakra which my reiki healer teacher sorted out -shes amazing -helped change my energy from a downward spiral to a everlasting upward one (i hope !)

horseshoe Fri 01-Jul-05 11:18:13

“religion then, consists of beliefs, actions, and institutions which assume the existence of supernatural entities and powers of action, or impersonal powers or processes possessed of moral purpose” (Bruce, 1995, p.ix)

this just reminded me of a quote when studying Ninian Smarts definition of religion.....

horseshoe Fri 01-Jul-05 11:23:15

Ohhh computer is going nutty....

i mean to say that i dont ness link religion to spirituality......

What is spirituality anyway????

My thoughts are that it is anything that allows someone to see deeper into something than what others just see on the surface!! but still i dont think i have a clear understanding of it!

Papillon Fri 01-Jul-05 13:19:54

Nice to hear from you again Horseshoe... I thought of you this morning and not long after you posted... you must have read my mind

Seeing as we all seem to agree, at this point, that spirituality is a personal journey. Then what we deem to be spiritual aspects of that journey would be kaleidoscopic. Given the concept that all things are One, then for me, technocolour is a good thing to be!

Whilst some people are religious and also spiritual, one doesn´t require the other. I would say that spiritual people have religious overtones of varying level.
I try and remain open minded another persons journey even if I don´t agree with it - with one line drawn. I am very closed minded about violence and if used in combination of ones beliefs, then that for me is BIG spiritual and/or religious misdemeanor.

Hence I find political leaders like George Bush who uses Christianity and violence to be extremely bad role models and not spiritual in the slightest.

Lunachic - I was just reading the other day some of my first posts when a group of us started posting about spirituality, which then led to the creation of the Spirit etc Board, and I have improved lots! But I also see this as writing practice, so take my time and try and be eloquent and descriptive (and end up writing small essays!). One day I might get off my ar§e and write some of the books people keep telling me to do. The time gets closer but is not right now. So I keep tapping on MN!

Go for it with studying homeopathy - sounds great. I would love to do more study, but it all cost money! Would like to study body talk
Would love to study with this guy - I like his unorthodoxy! this

Some of us looked at the celestine prophesies last year and the first insight speaks of the energy of plants. My association with plants is both from Life and from study. I always need lots of plants around me or something feels very amiss. I took Human Ecology classes at University and did a paper on Wilderness Spirituality (we were allowed to choose our own topic).

ChaCha are you still with us?

Papillon Fri 01-Jul-05 13:50:10

I just re-read something I wrote awhile back which reflects how spirituality is for me.

The true answer lies within yourself. You have free will, a free spirit and POWER over your own life. Exercise that power, that right. Once you think you have the answer. Question that answer and ask again for answers. The secret is not to skim the surface of your life but go deeper. Ask again and again and again..... and again if you have to. GO DEEPER. Because as we question, often the answers will show us how hung up we are on who we think we are.

horseshoe Fri 01-Jul-05 16:00:23

PAP

it's nice to be thought of....

Thank you....

ChaCha Wed 06-Jul-05 12:03:58

Still here

You've no idea how hard I've looked for a gift to bring You. nothing seemed right. What's the point of bringing gold to the gold mine, or water to the Ocean. Everything I came up with was like taking spices to the Orient. It's no good giving my heart and my soul because you already have these. So- I've brought you a mirror. Look at yourself and remember me.

Jalaluddin Rumi

spidermama Wed 06-Jul-05 12:06:57

For me spirituality most definitely doesn't link to religeon. Indeed I confused the two so long I lived the first part of my life denying spirituality because I found religeoun, and its formulae, too restrictive to take on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now