Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

naming ceremony

(9 Posts)
darwin Tue 21-Jun-05 23:10:48

hi we are thinking about organising a naming ceremony for our dd, we got a leaflet from the local registry office but its very basic, anyone got any more info? thanks

starlover Tue 21-Jun-05 23:18:46

hi Darwin, this is probably no help... but we found that the cost of a naming ceremony with a registrar was exorbitant! (you may be in better circumstances than us though!!!)

we are having our own "ceremony" of sorts on Sunday for DS.

We are having family and friends over. have chosen mentors for DS who will each do a reading. Myself and DP will do a little speech about DS, and his Grandparents may do as well.
I am going to take photos of everyone with DS and let them write a little something to go with the photo which we will then make into an album

having a buffet with cake etc afterwards... all pretty laid back stuff!

darwin Tue 21-Jun-05 23:42:06

oh that sounds a lovely idea! yes we found it also very expensive £160 per hour but they did not seem to actually do anything. i would be a bit nervous about hosting a similar party to yours as i am rubbush at public speaking- even in front of family and friends.will talk to dh see what he thinks!

starlover Wed 22-Jun-05 17:53:43

darwin.. i am also terrible! that's why i just wanted it to be really informal... i may well chicken out and just let my mum and my best friends do the talking! LOL

lockets Wed 22-Jun-05 17:56:16

Message withdrawn

starlover Wed 22-Jun-05 17:59:25

i just thought i'd feel really stupid standing in front of loads of people saying stuff... although... that's gonna happen anyway!

tbh i just wanted a party with loads of cake!

lockets Wed 22-Jun-05 18:01:51

Message withdrawn

spidermama Thu 23-Jun-05 14:04:55

We went out on a limb and met friends under a big tree. Dh said some deep and meaningful stuff as did prospective godparents and anyone who felt like it...Some were better than others. Then all back to ours for a party. The best bit was that guests were invited to write words of wisdom in a book for DD to read when older. It's a great record, and was unifying experience for all.

Rarrie Wed 13-Jul-05 18:56:40

A bit old now, but I had a naming day for my DD last year.

WE did it as a big party and then the ceremony was done like a big 'speech'. We had a guy from the Humanist society who came and led the formal bit. He spoke about our hopes and aspirations for our DD, how much she was loved and wanted, etc etc. We had a couple of poems read and her 'guide parents' (and us) made promises to be there for her etc etc.

Then we gave her a gold bracelet and the officiant gave a toast to our DD. Everyone said Cheers to her and we all ate food and had a party in the afternoon. It was a lovely day, and I've had loads of comments about how great it was. The only thing I'd change was next time I'd do it in a hall. (We did it in our back garden) I don't think it would be that much more expesive as then the guests would buy their alcohol and that would probably pay for the hall hire!

The humanist society do actually do a booklet that has ceremonies that you can just copy, or lists of readings etc to choose from if you want to make up your own. Its well worth buying.

Oh, the other thing we did was to make a book of wishes that we got people to write in for our DD. On one side of the page we put their photo, and on the other we got everyone to write her a message... She has some gorgeous meesages, some are really from the heart, and all the family ones are about how much she is loved, how wanted she is, what joy she brings to the family etc etc as well as people wishing her the best for her future.

HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now